PDA

View Full Version : Kubota 326 to Heavy??

MEvans857
03-19-2012, 07:35 PM
For you guys running Kubota's, particularly the 326 (which is Diesel) is it to heavy of a mower especially when the grass is wet? Had a Kubota/Scag Dealer trying to talk me out of the Kubota and into the Scag for a few reasons but that was his biggest argument. Don't know if his hold back is higher on Scag or not but seemed odd because they Are a "Kubota Dealer" that also sells Scag. I know Scag is a solid mower but was really wanting Diesel.

The 4 mowers I'm comparing are the 2 above mentioned, Exmark (which is all I use to run), and GrassHopper.

rreyn1812
03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
It is a heavy mower, no doubt about that. However, I don't find that to be a big problem unless the ground is so soft that it will just sink until the tires slip. That's a problem with any mower though. I actually got my 800 lb Bob-Cat stuck today 'cause the ditch I was in was just still too wet and I got too far down into it. The 26 in tires on the 326 help quite a bit. I mow a large estate and I don't have any more of a problem with the ZD326 than I do with my JD Z830 which is about 300 to 400 lbs lighter. I find the 326 holds hills pretty well too! As wet as it is around here right now, there are quite a few places I won't dare take the diesel, but I won't take any of my other riders either.

205mx
03-19-2012, 10:42 PM
For you guys running Kubota's, particularly the 326 (which is Diesel) is it to heavy of a mower especially when the grass is wet? Had a Kubota/Scag Dealer trying to talk me out of the Kubota and into the Scag for a few reasons but that was his biggest argument. Don't know if his hold back is higher on Scag or not but seemed odd because they Are a "Kubota Dealer" that also sells Scag. I know Scag is a solid mower but was really wanting Diesel.

The 4 mowers I'm comparing are the 2 above mentioned, Exmark (which is all I use to run), and GrassHopper.

the guys at that dealer in carterville are meat heads

MEvans857
03-19-2012, 11:11 PM
It is a heavy mower, no doubt about that. However, I don't find that to be a big problem unless the ground is so soft that it will just sink until the tires slip. That's a problem with any mower though. I actually got my 800 lb Bob-Cat stuck today 'cause the ditch I was in was just still too wet and I got too far down into it. The 26 in tires on the 326 help quite a bit. I mow a large estate and I don't have any more of a problem with the ZD326 than I do with my JD Z830 which is about 300 to 400 lbs lighter. I find the 326 holds hills pretty well too! As wet as it is around here right now, there are quite a few places I won't dare take the diesel, but I won't take any of my other riders either.

I hear you there, and was pretty much what I was thinking...I can't count how many times I've either had close calls or got into a bad area that I sunk in my old Exmark's. Pretty much if it's that wet or soft any of them will, with some variance sink, slide or rut.

the guys at that dealer in carterville are meat heads

I couldn't really decide if he was just a slick country salesman or had his own agenda but I could see where you would get that. I delt with Bob, and he kind of gave me that take it or leave it sticker price mentality (which I understand the time of year) however there's Always room to work. This ain't my first rodeo Mr. Bob. Hostly though, I've been so rapped up in get the Admin side put together again, and lining up Landscape equipment, I haven't done as much homework on Mowers as I normally do.

He priced me at:
10,300 on both the TT and Cheetah
8900 on the WildCat
8200 on the Tiger Cat w/ Suspension Seat

All Finance Prices (about 2-300 less for Cash/Check)

Don't know how those prices stack up to what deals everyone else has been getting but that's what I given.

But in the long run what are you gonna do, they kind of have you by the nuggets in that, no one can afford to drive 2 or 3 hours away for service and break downs, and you know your not gonna be taken care of at that local dealers service very well if you didn't by from them, so it's gonna cost you in the long run either way!

.....Still undecided. Must say tho, the more I heard about the front deck diesel grasshopper @ another dealer the more it peaked my curiosity!

205mx
03-19-2012, 11:13 PM
LOL I ordered a box of blades from them once. wrong size 2 times.

FoghornLeghorn
03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Doesn't the Scag weigh almost the same, but has smaller tires???

Go with Kubota, they're friggin' rock solid.

Ridin' Green
03-19-2012, 11:27 PM
I hear you there, and was pretty much what I was thinking...I can't count how many times I've either had close calls or got into a bad area that I sunk in my old Exmark's. Pretty much if it's that wet or soft any of them will, with some variance sink, slide or rut.

I couldn't really decide if he was just a slick country salesman or had his own agenda but I could see where you would get that. I delt with Bob, and he kind of gave me that take it or leave it sticker price mentality (which I understand the time of year) however there's Always room to work. This ain't my first rodeo Mr. Bob. Hostly though, I've been so rapped up in get the Admin side put together again, and lining up Landscape equipment, I haven't done as much homework on Mowers as I normally do.

He priced me at:
10,300 on both the TT and Cheetah
8900 on the WildCat
8200 on the Tiger Cat w/ Suspension Seat

All Finance Prices (about 2-300 less for Cash/Check)

Don't know how those prices stack up to what deals everyone else has been getting but that's what I given.

But in the long run what are you gonna do, they kind of have you by the nuggets in that, no one can afford to drive 2 or 3 hours away for service and break downs, and you know your not gonna be taken care of at that local dealers service very well if you didn't by from them, so it's gonna cost you in the long run either way!

.....Still undecided. Must say tho, the more I heard about the front deck diesel grasshopper @ another dealer the more it peaked my curiosity!

Those prices sound very close to me here. My Scag dealer is about $150 less across the board, but that's still darn close.

I know Kubota's are built like tanks, and I love diesels, but the Scag decks have such a great rep for QOC, that I would have to demo the Kubby on my own properties before committing to that much cash outlay for one. If the cut is acceptable to you on your lawns, then why not go for it?

Then again, not many machines have the rock solid rep of the TT either.

MEvans857
03-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Doesn't the Scag weigh almost the same, but has smaller tires???

Go with Kubota, they're friggin' rock solid.

Comparing the 60/61" decks today.....From what I seen, the 326 is 457lbs heaver that the Cheetah, and 657lbs heaver than the Tiger Cat. Tires are 2" smaller on both Scags. There's no doubt Kubota makes for a heavy machine, I just don't know if the advantages out way the disadvantages or vs versa??

Ridin' Green
03-19-2012, 11:43 PM
The tires are 2" smaller in diameter, so that isn't really an advantage or disadvantage for weight. They are both 12" wide (more like 10.5 in reality) which is what provides the footprint to carry the weight.

The taller tires should give a little bit better ride if all else is equal.

FoghornLeghorn
05-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, what'd you decide?
Posted via Mobile Device

appalachianoutdoors
05-14-2012, 06:27 PM

I run 326s and have not found weight in wet grass to be an issue unless, like others have stated, you get on a hill and then no ZTR would be stable. It is a horse of a machine. If you get one, it will not be long before you realize houw much you like the hydraulic deck, PTO shaft to deck that direct transfers power from the diesel to the deck with less belty slippage, and better seat, swivel front axle for better ride, etc...:usflag:

Check out this ad if interested: http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/tls/2927879052.html

grassman177
05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
they are heavy, and are not good for smaller areas where turning around alot, open only. i love them alot, but we are selling ours if interested. they are on this forum in for sale area.

MEvans857
05-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Ended up going with the Kubota 326....It's a Beast!

FoghornLeghorn
05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Attaboy! Keep those spindles greased and you'll get a ton of life out of that monster!
Posted via Mobile Device

rreyn1812
05-15-2012, 07:07 PM
The only real problem I've had is the pin at the top of the front left anti-scalp wheel has come loose twice and this time the wheel assy went under the deck. Boy did that make a noise!!! Checked the blades and they are fine, so just have to get a new wheel assembly. I will drill a small hole in the new pin and will wire it closed so it will not be able to come off again. Can't figure out what happened. :confused: