PDA

View Full Version : Railings for Ep Henery steps

jrodgers
12-09-2002, 06:39 PM
How would you go about putting railings on Ep Henery steps like the ones that are on page 22 bottom right corner of the 2002 Ep Henery idea catalog. Do you have to prepare for them first or can they be added after somehow and if so how? They look like they are just sitting on the cap but they obiously are not. Thanks in advance JR

paul
12-10-2002, 09:29 PM
I don't have EP Henry's book but we have installed railing on a few walls. If you could post a picture of the wall that YOU are doing i could give you some advice.

jrodgers
12-10-2002, 10:11 PM
If you go to www.ephenry.com and click on hardscaping, then hardscaping gallery, then patios , then pg 4 the bottom right hand corner is what I am trying for. I tried to save it and then insert it into my post but I could not figure out how to do it , how can this be done?( I mean insert it into my post as well as do the railing) Thanks alot JR....

paul
12-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Ok now I see what you are looking for :)

Hand railing for a set of steps.........

Wood hand rails are not too hard, but they have a couple of extra steps during the install. They way I would want them done install a footing under the location of the lower step and pour a concrete pier then install the steps as you normaly would when finished I would drill a 7/8" to 1" hole thru the wall units and secure the rebar (3/4" or 7/8") with epoxy, the rebar should rise at least 6" above the step. The upper hand railingcan be attached the same way but there is no need for the concrete pier because of the height of the wall units. Make sure your caps and wall units are interlocked, plus use a peice of grid for the upper step area. This will help prevent the hand railing from pushing out the wall units. Make sure you glue all the units so you are making a solid structure.

Most of the above can be used for metal railings but there we have used galavanized pipe to secure the railings to the wall units. this involves a bit more work and a core drill. I would also check with E P Henry on any engineering that they have.

jrodgers
12-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the info.........JR

BRL
12-11-2002, 12:54 PM
http://www.ephenry.com/images/Gallery/fullsize/p22c-VS.lg.jpg

To do that: find the picture, right click on it, click Properties in the drop down menu, Copy the link address, in your post here at LS click the IMG icon below the Subject section, paste the link address you copied when prompted, done.

Or to post the link for people to go to instead of a picture: right click on the page (not on one of the pictures), click Properties from the drop down menu, Copy the link address, paste that address into your post, done:
http://www.ephenry.com/store/hardscapingGallery.asp?catID=1&imageID=52&page=4

Paul summed up the installation process best & I have nothing to add to that LOL.