PDA

View Full Version : A "General Feeling" question

jason72g
03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Just a thought here that I would like to get some opinions on.

We have a recycling center here. People bring all of their small tree limbs, big limbs etc here and they the recycling center turns it in to mulch. The mulch is free as long as you load it.

Now, bear in mind, this is not one particular type of mulch, it's a mixture of whatever the hell they bring. It does smell good and it looks okay as well. What is your opinion on using this for SMALL mulch jobs? I understand that for large mulch jobs this wouldn't be economical, but what about the small mulch jobs? And would some consider this "unethical" based on the fact that you paid nothing for it?

Not saying this is something I have done (heck I relocated, so I dont' even operate a business anymore,) just a thought that crossed my mind.

GMLC
03-21-2012, 05:44 PM
A couple things come to mind. First bark mulch is not chipped up brush. Wood chips don't look nice like bark mulch. Second is I would imagine that stuff is full of weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
03-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Any free mulch I've come across is typically provided by the city like in your situation. The problem I see with it is it's usually full of dirt and huge chunks. It just looks bad.

If I were planting a bunch of trees Where the only purpose for the mulch was for the tree and not aesthetic reasons I would consider using it.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
The only unethical thing I see is that you'd be using a terribly inferior product for your customers.

Greenery
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
A couple things come to mind. First bark mulch is not chipped up brush. Wood chips don't look nice like bark mulch. Second is I would imagine that stuff is full of weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Huh, around here shredded wood is the primary product where as bark mulch is undesirable.
Posted via Mobile Device

jason72g
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Huh, around here shredded wood is the primary product where as bark mulch is undesirable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here... You rarely see people using bark anymore.

GMLC
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have only seen wood chips used in play grounds. Never on a nice property. Around here the bark is removed at a lumber yard and run through a series of grinding tubs. Then dyed or left natural.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
03-21-2012, 06:06 PM
I have only seen wood chips used in play grounds. Never on a nice property. Around here the bark is removed at a lumber yard and run through a series of grinding tubs. Then dyed or left natural.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah "chips" are for playgrounds, I would not put those on a property even if demanded.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
I have a hard time believing a city or recycling center bought $600-900k in equipment to make mulch and give it away. I just assumed they were chipping brush/small trees. I could be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

rkeguy
03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
My county does the same thing where people bring in brush, pallets, building lumber, etc.. if its wood they will grind up then give away mulch. They have loaders that they use to scoop wood into shredder and if patient they will scoop mulch and dump into truck/trailer. The only requirement is you must cover with tarp before leaving site. I use it on my personal property ONLY on a bank that runs about 200 feet along my property. I pitch over the bank and looks better than bare dirt. It's to rocky to plant grass seed and to steep of bank to mow. It takes about 5 loads on my 8' bed to do entire bank.
Mulch isn't treated and can smell bad. I have found all kinds of trash mixed with it but it serves purpose. I purchase shredded mulch for my flowerbeds.

easy-lift guy
03-23-2012, 06:37 AM
My only concern is that the material you have mentioned is contaminated with weed seed or the like and I would not insult my customer or make extra work for myself in the future. Don't use material better left for the landfill or someone that doesn't know any better or just does not care.
easy-lift guy