PDA

View Full Version : Pyracantha Removal

tyler_mott85
03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Giving a bid to remove two mature pyracanthas from a customer's property. I've trimmed them for years so working with the thorns is nothing new to me but I've never removed one. Just wondering how the root system is. Are there thorns on the roots? Are the roots soft and easy to cut with a shovel or are they hard needing more persuasive means? How large of a root ball can I expect? Plants are mature, maintained in last couple years to a 8 foot wide by 6 foot tall size but were closer to 12 by 12 when I first started maintaining property. I'm not needing to remove all the roots just the root ball.

I cannot gain access to bushes with machinery or chain/truck/mower. All by hand!

Thanks for any painful/stabbing insight.

agrostis
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Those root's will stop you in your track's, but no thorn's. The root's that are less than a inch you can cut with a shovel, bigger than that and you will need a saw. The root ball is probably as wide as the plant and 2 feet deep. You have to get the root ball out ? If not, than a stump treatment is called for. It's much easier than digging. If you do... sharpen that shovel.

tyler_mott85
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
By root ball i'm meaning the main central mass where the plant enters the ground and all the roots run outward from there. So basically I guess just the "stump" although when I think stump i think of the remainder of the trunk above the ground. I need to dig that out but not the entire network of roots. I was just mainly worried about thorns on the roots. Thanks bunches!

ron mexico75
03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
A mattock and a sharp ax are your friend. It's back breaking but those are a LOT better then a shovel.....trust me.

t.land
03-23-2012, 12:04 PM
A mattock and a sharp ax are your friend. It's back breaking but those are a LOT better then a shovel.....trust me.

Those two tools are perfect for shrub removal, and I always make sure to have my King of Spades with me also, best spade on the market. If you want to guarantee that the Pyracantha does not come back you can also spray some Tordon RTU on it while you have the hole dug for "stump removal."

tyler_mott85
03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Cutter Mattock and Axe are always with me for removals :)