PDA

View Full Version : mixing grease?

shane772
03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I had a guy remove/sharpen/replace my blades on my Ferris Hydrocut a few days ago. When I walked out to pay him he had greased all the zerks as a "bonus" to me. He added 5 trigger pulls of white lithium grease and I had been using green automotive grease. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to remove everything and clean out and start fresh? I hope not, lol. Thanks for any input. :usflag:

Restrorob
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Bearings don't know white from green, Just keep mow'n.....

shane772
03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the input!

OakNut
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Hope you don't mind me piggybacking another grease question on, but since you mentioned Ferris, and grease types, I thought I'd ask...

I'm completely new to walk behinds.
Just bought my first - a Ferris 36" Comfort Control DD. In the manual it states:
Red Grease (part # 5022285) is recommended. Automotive-type high-temperature, lithium grease may be used when this is not available.

Color me stupid, but what is "red grease"?

Is that a "Ferris" grease, or is it a common type of grease that can be purchased anywhere?
When the dealer prepped it for me the day I picked it up, he had pumped it full of what is obviously a red-colored grease.

I don't mind paying a bit more for it if it's "better" than the lithium grease, as I want to take good care off my new mower - I just don't have any experience with grease types.

Help a tard out, wont'cha please? :o

Restrorob
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Any automotive high speed high temp bearing grease will work just fine in spindles and even non high speed bearing applications (caster wheels/idler arm pivot joints etc.). So no need for two guns with different greases.

Color of the grease depends on the brand/company, I've seen red/white/tan/green/black and use blue in which all are high temp bearing greases.

Sooo, Just pick a color and grease-r-up !

shane772
03-23-2012, 08:32 AM
OakNut, I just bought some grease yesterday from the auto parts store, it's Red N' tacky made by Lucas. It had the highest dropping point of all I looked at and that's why I bought it.

Kiril
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I had a guy remove/sharpen/replace my blades on my Ferris Hydrocut a few days ago. When I walked out to pay him he had greased all the zerks as a "bonus" to me. He added 5 trigger pulls of white lithium grease and I had been using green automotive grease. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to remove everything and clean out and start fresh? I hope not, lol. Thanks for any input. :usflag:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1865/grease-compatibility

shane772
03-23-2012, 09:00 AM
That is a great chart . . . unfortunately I don't know what complex/whatever he used, only that it was white and I associate that with "white lithium" grease