PDA

View Full Version : power raking, how soon

t608
03-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Is it to early in the season to power rake lawns? I'm over in Rhode Island and the weather has been so nice, but being in New England you never know.

Can you damage the lawn if the weather turns cold at night?

agrostis
03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes you can cause damage. It is too early. I assume you have fecue,rye and bluegrass blend. Don't let the warm weather fool you. Do you have irrigation ? If not and you take it down to bare earth then that's what you will be left with. Even with water you are stressing that grass out. The grass want's to grow, let it.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes you can cause damage. It is too early. I assume you have fecue,rye and bluegrass blend. Don't let the warm weather fool you. Do you have irrigation ? If not and you take it down to bare earth then that's what you will be left with. Even with water you are stressing that grass out. The grass want's to grow, let it.

WRONG! Powerraking is best done before grass is fully greened. Basically anytime from fully dormant to half green. Just remember to set the height correctly. Too much can cause damage anyway so keep it at a safe level.