PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Mulch

TNGrassCutter
03-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Does anyone use this? I had a customer wanting me to use this but its hard to find here and expensive. Only place that has it is Lowes and HD that I can find here and its $7-$9 a bag for .8 cu ft. He needs 2 cu yds.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
03-22-2012, 03:50 PM
It's much cheaper if you order it by the ton in a super sack. That's somewhere around 2 or 3 yards I believe.
Look around online, and find a manufacturer close enough to you where freight won't kill you.

But you really want to use that stuff? They say the smell in hot weather lingers for years.

BTW, look into playground grades. Anything cheaper probably still has some steel in it.

rkeguy
03-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Had customer want rubber mulch for small flowerbed last year since it was "environment friendly". After advising that rubber doesn't naturally break down like shredded wood it doesn't seem environment friendly, also it smells bad. Went with shredded wood which looked better and more cost efficient.

TNGrassCutter
03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I tried to tell them that it would stink, etc but that's what they want, I'm sure when I tell them about the $600 price tag vs $70 at my supplier that will change their minds...
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
03-22-2012, 06:58 PM
The stuff is good if you have a small playground area,but in beds it sucks.I did a job and pulled out a dump trailer full.Also after a few years if it was dyed,it starts to flake.

Greenery
03-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Heavy rain = expensive rubber much floating away into lawn where it will take forever to decompose = no thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device