PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are EMT/Police/Firefighter???

KirbysLawn
08-10-2000, 01:57 AM
I've been a EMT Paramedic since 1986 here in Charlotte, NC. I was a NREMTP for 10 years but let it go due to seeing no reason for it. I was certified as an instructor in ACLS, PALS, BTLS, PHTLS, and was on the faculty at several local collages until about 3 years ago when I sold my teaching business and took the leap into lawn care.

What about the rest of you??

eslawns
08-10-2000, 06:59 AM
Sheriff's Office, for a little over 3 years. I can't afford to work FT there, but I work PT (30-40 hrs/mo.) It's pretty exciting work. We work in the jail and on the road. The only difference between us and paid guys is a check. Most of the firefighters here work an odd schedule of 24 hr shifts. Almost all of them cut grass. My wife's brother is a FF, but he cuts down trees. He and I have traded "war stories" for a while now.

MOW ED
08-10-2000, 07:28 AM
I am a firefighter/paramedic in a town in Wisconsin. Been here since 1990. I grew up in Chicago. I started out as a firefighter/emt in 1985 on the south side in Riverdale. I've been cutting grass my whole life but commercially for the last 5 years.
No, I will NEVER be a Packer fan!

geogunn
08-10-2000, 07:33 AM
I am a reserve L.E.O. in our county for about 10 years now. It has been hard to find the time to work for the department since I started my company about four years ago. I frankly wish I had more time to do both!

GEO

dhicks
08-10-2000, 07:51 AM
I'm federal L.E.O. in the District of Columbia. I'll retire in less than twelve months and then mow full-time after retirement because I want too. Yahoo!

g888642
08-10-2000, 08:07 AM
In reply to this post any pointers on how to pass the National Registry Test.........My son who is soon to be 20 would give anything to be on a paid fire dept. (None in our rural West Ky. area) So he is very active on 2 volunteer depts. He went to a Vo tech school and passed his EMT course with no problems. He has gone the maximum number of times to try his NR test and failed by 2 points each time. I think he now has to take his skills over and I cant find a place to do it before his 1 year is up. He is very discouraged. I thought he was just dumb like his old man but i've been told the test is tuff.......BTW......I'm in the Propane Industry / winter related and I mow 2 cemetaries. Gosh a lot of trimmin........Only 1 next year Ha

KirbysLawn
08-10-2000, 09:07 AM
On the National Registry Exam, my best advice is to study hard and be ready for anything. The trauma skills station is the station that usully gets everyone, has he taken PHTLS? That is a good course for getting ready, as far as the written test, not sure there I took mine 14 years ago so I know it's changed.

Ray

snow
08-10-2000, 09:28 AM
I've been a junior firefighter with our <a href="http://www.sbvfd.com">local dept</a>. My grandfather was a volunteer firefighter in one of the dept's in town and was the chief for a while. he's the one that got mw hooked on firetrucks,etc. my other grandfather in montana was also a volunteer ff. Our drills are usually from 6pm-9 or 10pm. Last night at our drill we went out on our boat to check out a barge that flipped and sandwiched onto another one.

bryan

Runner
08-10-2000, 11:16 AM
Wow! I didn't know we had so many great people out there! I start my internship with a local police department if the fall. I just want to say that it is a priveledge, a pleasure, and an honor to be able to socialize on this forum with you gentlemen. I can't help but feel that it brings us even more to a common ground. Thank You for all you do. Runner

[Edited by Runner on 08-10-2000 at 03:19 PM]

stslawncare
08-10-2000, 02:06 PM
Hi,
On sept 6th i will turn 15 and plan on going to the fire station that very day to become a junior fire fighter! i love fire engines and such and want to help the community etc. its also not to far away (bike riding distance) i ride by every day atleast once, always staring in to see if there is anything new happening in there. if any of you are willing to answer some of my fire fighting related questions send me a email please, farmsoil@hotmail.com
thanks,
Scottie

smithf36
08-10-2000, 05:45 PM
I have been a full time Firefighter in Indiana since 1998. I was a volunteer before that for about five years. This year's been great for mowing because of all the rain. It hasn't let up yet. I hope all of you have had as good of year as we have had here.

Joe

FIREMAN
08-10-2000, 06:37 PM
FIREFIGHTER IN NJ FOR 9 YRS.

turfman99
08-10-2000, 08:26 PM
I formerly went by my name ( Dale ) on this board, but took the opportunity to change with the new format. I was a volunteer EMT II and Senior Firefighter for 12 years. I was injured in a fire (imagine that)and was an engineer/command officer after that. I did fill in duty shifts for vacations in neighboring departments and county dispatch. I currently serve as board member on our rural district here in Northwest Oregon. I respond to fires and accident scenes in my area of representation in the district. My father was a volunteer firefighter and rural board member and I was riding firetrucks and tankers and hauling ass in pickups to fires starting when I was six years old.I started beating out field fires with a wet gunny sack when I was 9 years old. It came pretty natural when I turned 18 to join up. I am in the process of starting an Explorer program in our department. Chief is my neighbor and his kid and mine build cars and hang out.

My wife is a nurse / care coordinator and the trauma bag goes everywhere with us, and has been used. The training stays with you and adhrenlin management has been invaluble. I am also a State certified accident investigator for auto and on the job accidents.

My company has a perfect safety record for the last three years. No injuries and our mod rate is under .80. I have no tolerance for unsafe work or play. On vacation last year my boys and I asisted a rural fire district and sheriffs office in a body recovery at the lake we were vacationing at. On the way home, some moron from California rolled his Explorer and U haul trailer and ejected him and his family. Within 30 seconds we had three trained personell on the scene and everyone was extracated and transported and fully recovered.

The training never leaves you and it looks like my boys will probably be third generation firefighter for one, law enforcement ( game officer) for one, and other will volunteer in our department.I got to teach the younger guys, cause I'm to damn old to drag a line into a burning building.

I have several friends in the sheriff's department and ride with them on occasion, and qualify on the range with them a couple times a year to maintain my concealed weapons permit. A visit from the game warden while hunting last year spiked one of my kids interest in law enforcement. He's gonna do 4 in the Coast Guard and then try and get on the State Police Game Division.

I turn 43 Sunday and that marks 25 years of volunteer/paid service in the Fire Department. I intend to go at least another 10 years. I have friends that are retiring in a couple of years with full pension's and then will start their second careers.

Interesting topic Ray, finds out a lot about all of us.

Toddppm
08-10-2000, 09:09 PM
I was a volunteer firefighter for about 3 years but had to stop when i started up full time, need time for family and business . I would love to go back but don't see it happening anytime soon. I'm EMT-B and firefighter certified. One of my brother inlaws is a volunteer wildland firefighter out in the country, that sounds pretty cool, but a little far for me.

CandJ
08-10-2000, 10:16 PM
I'm a full time Firefighter/Paramedic in Northeast Ohio for 7+ years now. I also am a Tactical Paramedic on the local SWAT Team (Southwest Enforcement Bureau). As if those occupations and a lawn care business weren't enough, I also am a Lieutenant/Paramedic for my home town part-time Department. It's a great job, and the people I work with are awesome. I was steered to the lawncare business by two people I work with on my full time dept.

Also, anyone on other Fire or Police Dept's that are interested, I collect work tee-shirts (size XL). Please feel free to email me if interested in swapping with me for my full time or part time dept tee.

[Edited by CandJ on 08-11-2000 at 02:51 AM]

T.L.C. Lawn Service
08-11-2000, 09:30 AM
I was an EMT/FF for 3years in the woderful state of Virginia. Got tired of the polotics and got out and started my own lawn business.

Acute Cut
08-11-2000, 10:20 AM
I was a paid full time firefighter in the military when i first started doing lawns. I lived in Charleston SC, and a friend was starting up a lawn business and asked me if i wanted to make some extra money. I did and so i started working for him. I started out 10 hours a day on a trimmmer. We did the big apartment complex type of places. When i left charleston and the military 3 years later, i moved to Bellingham WA. I worked the 6-5 at the factory and then 7-2 at the gas station. FUN!! AFter a year of that and just general nothingness i started my own company for some "extra" money. I figured i would only get 4 or five so i was not real serious about it. I used my dads mower, a ryobi trimmer and blower and then i started. Gee, I was a "PROFESSIONAL" now because i had business cards and a hand painted sign. LOL! All in the back of a Toyota too. SCRUB!

Uh, oh ya, bigger now, but the point of the story is i WAS a fireman when i started.

KirbysLawn
08-11-2000, 06:03 PM
That's cool, 17 so far out of who knows how many active members! I'm just sitting around the station waiting on them to find someone to work with me tonight (my regular partners out on a OJI), so why not get paid to surf Lawnsite.com! :)

Ed, do you know Joel Carter? I was his FTO when he came here from up there.

If any are interested our home page is http://www.medic911.com

Ray

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 08-11-2000 at 10:19 PM]

MLS
08-11-2000, 06:16 PM
My brother and I are both full time police officers. He works in the patrol division and I work narcotics.

Getmow
08-11-2000, 07:11 PM
Full time fire department since 1979. Captain since 84. Full time lawncare since 89. Something has got to give....

Turf Cutters
08-11-2000, 08:35 PM
I have been a paid firefighter/emt for the past 12 years in Johnson County, KS. I started lawn care to stay in shape, and it has just kept growing (the business and the grass) where my wife is now a partner. Now it seems to be a full time job. I enjoy being outdoors not stuck inside somewhere.

KirbysLawn
08-16-2000, 01:38 AM
If any of you guys want an awsome but GRAPHIC :eek: trauma photo, send me an email.

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 08-16-2000 at 05:45 AM]

lja
08-16-2000, 04:05 AM
i have been a police officer in NYC for 15 plus years....our pay is crap so i turned to lawn care...i work steady midnites and then 8 plus hrs cutting grass....i love this outdoor stuff ... looking for college to get degree in turf management.... other times i just play golf .......

rick
ricks lawn care

The Lawn Genie
10-18-2000, 04:44 PM
Hey guys... this thread died before I ever found lawnsite, and I just found the thread, so I thought I would bring it back to life.

I am a volunteer Fire Fighter & EMR. I am currently enrolled in Firefighter 1001 I & II, and have several applications in at full time Departments.

Starling Lawn
10-18-2000, 05:32 PM
I know its an old post ,but I`ll reply.I`m a retired from the sheriff`s office.I come from 4 generations of policemen and firemen.
Dave

turnkey
10-18-2000, 07:37 PM
i am retired 4 years now from the new york state dept. of corrections..worked 26 yrs. in a maximum security prison..now work seasonal for a lanndscape company and do part time lawn care on the side

scottb
10-18-2000, 08:27 PM
For the West Rowan VFD. Also i was the Instructor for my day jobs Haz-Mat team.

Dave
10-18-2000, 08:32 PM
grad from high school 76,work three years on cars part time ,self employed fisherman,part time working on cars, landed a job 12.5 years ago ff emt.Local 3957, Lieut.5years 1001 certified RI, interbate defib.cert,owner ope dealer,small engine repair 3 years

Lawn Services
10-18-2000, 08:50 PM
I've been Vol.ff for about 6yrs in kent county DE.
in two differnt depts it sounds like there is alot of
piad guys here there are no full paid fire Co.'s in this state

gusbuster
10-18-2000, 11:41 PM
Ex California Highway Patrol officer. Got hurt on the job, went back to what I grew up doing working with dad. Funny how I said once I graduated from the academy that I would never go back to lawn care \ landscaping. Look what Iím doing 15 years later.:)
John

stslawncare
10-19-2000, 07:22 AM
Hi.
I am now a JR firefighter for brandywine hundred fire company located in wilmington delaware. been a member for 8 days and am already loving it. had first training class lastnight and boy was it hard, but i think the whole trade is hard but can be fun.

1stclasslawns
10-19-2000, 07:28 AM
i don't know how I missed this thread the first time, opitcal-rectitus I guess, you know head in a dark place.
But I have been a FF for 12 years and an EMT for 4.
Harrison Arkansas is the place to find me, the bad part though $19500.00 is the rate of pay!!! I sure hope the city councel sees this. We sued and are susposed to get a 15% raise this year though, we got one last year. But the city is crying "broke". You know the story. Jim

The Lawn Genie
10-20-2000, 12:19 PM
Jim,

Sad story man... I would be looking to move to a higher paying dept. What is your call load like?... Do they work your butt off for that 19 thousand a year?

Firebrand
10-20-2000, 12:26 PM
Full time professional firefighter for 4 years. I worked yesterday and we got a house fire last night, so not much sleep or rest. Thankfully it is raining here today, so I can sleep instead of mowing or sprinkler blowouts. Good night.

Third Day
10-20-2000, 04:29 PM
Full Time Paid at Orlando Fire Dept. Started the biz. back up after I had to quit during Paramedic school. I started with the city of Ocala, Fl for 14 mos. then Seminole County for 3+ years and finally at the premier Dept for apx 18 mos.This is a great job and the ability to own your own biz on the side is great. We work 24 on 48 off any other type shifts out there ?

KirbysLawn
10-20-2000, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by naturalawn
the bad part though $19500.00 is the rate of pay

Yikes!!! :eek: Is that the starting pay? I started in EMS 15 years ago and that was the rate then. Sorry to hear that, good luck with a growing business.

Ray

Ricky
10-20-2000, 10:29 PM
I'm a has-been and lovin' it
Retired 2 yrs. ago from Paducah, Ky. F. D after 25 yrs.
Rather ride my Dixie Chopper than that Big Red Truck!

RMc Lawn
10-22-2000, 07:58 PM
Guess I missed the first round but here is my story. been volunteer F.F. for 8yrs now am our training officer. Also am an EMT I and work PRN at the county hospital when buisness will alow, which is becoming less all of the time. Never realized how many firefighters also worked lawncare. great to see so many good people out there!!

darryl
10-22-2000, 10:22 PM
Paid Firefighter/EMT since 1987. Cut lawns when I was in school and started back 6yrs ago on a pro level. I keep it very limited because of our schedule. I like the flexibity of yard maint. bus.

1stclasslawns
10-22-2000, 11:55 PM
Hey guys the starting pay for my dept is 17400.00 or 5.45 per hour. It is sad that they don't think any more of us then they do. I am afraid its going to take a F.F. line of duty death to ever get the morons to open their eyes.
The 17400 is after a lawsuit last year, I started at min wadge.

Run volume is 450 -500 per year. So not too bad untill the economy goes to pot, you know the friction fires (bank note and insurence papers).

I grew up here, know everyone, own a house thats been in the family from 1858, no bad problems yet with gangs or drugs.

Wife has great job with great insurence so we'll make it. Jim

MOW ED
10-23-2000, 08:00 AM
WOW,
I don't want to get a Union vs Non discussion going but are you in the I.A.F.F.? Is AK. a right to work state? It is a shame that politicians take advantage of the good nature of the men and women in our profession. If you choose to make firefighting and EMS a full time job you should be compensated more than the kid who works at a fast food restaurant. I could really get going on this topic but I will leave it at this.

Look in the phone book - you want pizza, there are probably 5 or 6 places to call. You want insurance - you can call 10 different agents. But if your house is on fire or your loved one is not breathing, there is only one number to call and thats us.

1stclasslawns
10-23-2000, 04:29 PM
Yes Mow Ed.

Ar (not ak) is a right to work state.

And YES I am a card carring member of local 2995 IAFF.

That and 50 cents will get you a coke someplaces.
I hope collective basrgining will go through one day soon.

Jim

darryl
10-24-2000, 09:27 PM
I find it interesting that many of us have sued our municipalities for fair treatment. We did and we won but also lost. The Fire Service is a life I cannot imagine not having. Sometimes I feel that our commitment is taken advantage because city hall knows that if all else fails, we are going to be the first in and last out when things get bad. We must fight for fairness and stand for our commitment to our service.

ron
02-03-2001, 01:04 PM
I have been in the Law Enforcement field for over 16 years
I have worked with the Daytona Beach Police Dept. Department of Corrections Volusia County Sherriffs Office and now working as a correctional officer for the florida department of corrections.I have opened my lawn care business 9 months ago http://homestead.juno.com/skyler72/ron.html

Ground Pounder
02-03-2001, 05:53 PM
This month marks my 11th anniversary as a career firefighter/paramedic. With the 24 on / 48 off schedule, it is conducive for a part-time job.

Our department covers a yuppie suburb of the City of Columbus. Nice yards that need tending to, owned by people with lots-o-jack;)

Mowin4cash
02-03-2001, 07:45 PM
I am a former "AMALANCE DOKTA MAN" or "SKREET DOKTA" as the locals used to refer to us. Volunteered with Fire Service, then went paid EMT/CT. Had a ball hauling GOMERS down the road CODE 4. Then became burnt out from the abuse calls, you know the ones, 2:30 am dispatched for a "sick call", patient needs a ride to hospital for some aspirin. Nothing like having 29 calls in a 24 hr shift, and you crack the drug box 1 time. And the ones who call you to help them and then they try (I said try) to kick your butt. Thank goodness for the 5 D-cell Maglights!!! Gave up the glory to become a "Grazz Cutta". Now I get to be abused by customers and endure the relentless heat all over again, but at least this time I get to make some money in the process. I know this will piss some of you, but remember the old saying, "Paramedics save Lives, EMT's save Paramedics, even Glitter Patches".

Mike

KirbysLawn
02-04-2001, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Mowin4cash
I know this will piss some of you, but remember the old saying, "Paramedics save Lives, EMT's save Paramedics, even Glitter Patches".

Mike

Yea, heard it before, never really understood it thouggh.

Craig Turf Management
02-04-2001, 06:11 AM
I've been a firefighter since 1986, and an EMT since 1990. I work nights on a mobile intensive care unit with two good-looking nurses. Happy to see that so many of us have something more than gras in common.
Bill

lawman
02-04-2001, 09:35 AM
Ret. Baltimore City Police Officer. Loved the Job!!!

Lawn Medics
02-04-2001, 03:44 PM
I'N A PARAMEDIC HERE IN SAN ANTONIO AND MY WIFE AND I HAVE A NEW LAWN SERVICE THAT WE'RE HOPING WILL PROSPER THIS YEAR. MY WIFE IS ALSO A PARAMEDIC. I HAVE BEEN A PARAMEDIC FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS AND HAVE OR HAD THE FOLLOWING: NATIONAL REGISTERY EMT-P ACLS, ACLS INSTRUCTOR,PHTLS, PALS, NALS, PPPC, SWIFTWATER RESCUE, CONFINED SPACE RESCUE, BTLS. I WORKED IN A LEVEL 1 TRAUMA CENTER FOR SEVEN YEARS. NICE TO MEET YOU. BY THE WAY, WE'RE CALLED LAWN MEDICS. HAHA

Chopper Lover
02-05-2001, 08:04 PM
I am a career Master Fire Fighter in Montgomery County, Md. (IAFF Local 1664) with 14+ years on the job (20 years if you want to include volunteer time). Due to life's "misadventures" I have had to get back in to lawn care as a form of supplemental income. My business provides mowing & trimming, mulching, light landscaping and hauling (appliances, household items, etc.).

It is nice to see so many Brothers and Sisters in the business to rub elbows with and share tips. Feel free to ask questions of me because I am sure I will be asking them of you.

Stay safe! Mark

Bob's Lawn Care
02-06-2001, 03:14 PM
I am a Correction Officer for the New York State Dept. of Corrections at the maximum security prison Auburn Correctional Facility. I have 12.5 year on the job, another 12.5 and I will be eligible for parole (oops, I mean retire). Working 3-11 allows me to have a little fun in the sun mowing before I go to work. It's good stress managment :).

kutnkru
02-06-2001, 03:29 PM
I have been devoting my time to our local community since 1992.

Kris

LWNMWRMN
02-06-2001, 05:15 PM
Have been in fire dept. for 8 yrs. two of lut. and two of capt.

birddog
02-09-2001, 10:21 PM
I've been a fulltime firefighter for four years and was prior Deputy Sheriff for 3.5 years. Fathers was a cop(retired), one uncle was a cop(retired),one uncle was a firefighter(retired) and still mowing lawns, grandfather was the police/fire chief, cousin's are cops. Runs in the family, I guess.

little green guy
02-10-2001, 12:21 AM
I just joined the local volunteer fire dept.

RSMedic1
02-13-2001, 11:50 PM
I have been a volunteer firefighter for 10 years in our small town. For 4 years I have been a paid fire/medic with a large dept. and loving it! This is my fisrt season with the grass cutting business.

Hink
01-07-2004, 10:48 PM
:waving: Just saw these posts and had to add my 2 cents. I am a Corrections Officer at Rush City Correctional Institution in Minnesota. New Facility with lots of growing pains. 1000 inmates with no programming to speak of and double bunked. Lots of PRESSURE, Low Pay and Dangerous as Hell. Was assaulted my first year there. Lucky the guy didn't get a good hold on me! Going to start mowing lawns with a new play toy I have, a Dixon 42 inch deck with a 15.5 hp Vanguard. Well that's my 2 cents. Be careful out there.

MCS Lawn Care
01-07-2004, 10:56 PM
I am currently professional firefighter/Emt for the Department of the Nave,, im also a volly firefighter for my town, and a firefighter for the United Stated Air Force Reserves.

You Cant beat the JOB

Chris

mh1314
01-07-2004, 11:05 PM
retired 30 years in Texas Law Enforcement

mownlawns
01-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Proud to be a Valedictorian graduate of the 85th Basic Class of the West Virginia State Police Academy and an 11-year deputy sheriff in the county in which I was born and raised!!!

sildoc
01-08-2004, 12:36 AM
EMT Basic. Work in a Emergency room part time and go to school. Mow in the summer for extra income. Working on getting a full time position with local Fire dept but positions are scarce. Oh well will do what I am doing till then.
Thanks to all that serve in the civil services.

stslawncare
01-08-2004, 09:28 AM
wow this makes me feel old. well now a few years later i am no longer a junior firefighter i am now a probationary member. weird reading this thread and seeing i had just finished my first night of training lol. sometime soon im gonna figure out how many hours i have in training. stay safe

GTLC
01-08-2004, 09:49 PM
I just joined the Underhill-Jericho Fire Department Inc. Junior firefighter, 16. Father is former career firefighter, career EMT and police officer. he has been in the fire service since 1978-
25 years!

GTLC
01-08-2004, 09:51 PM
I am hoping to become a career firefighter when i get out of college in Concord, NH or Burlington, VT. Father is also former chief of Fire Standards and Training and ran the NH fire academy in Concord, NH.

thfireman
01-08-2004, 11:56 PM
KirbysLawn,

You already know about me. For the rest of you, I have been a Charlotte Firefighter since 1989. I work on the South side of the city and love every minute of it. I am an EMT-D except the state just calls us EMT's now. I am trained in swift water rescue also.

I was in Volunteer Fire service before I was hired with Charlotte. I was with Stallings Vol. Fire Department for about 4 years and a Union County dispatcher for approx 1 year. In 1989 I applied with Charlotte and was hired on my first try. I love my job and can't imagine working any where else full time. It gives me lots of time to run my Lawn Care business.

I live about 1 1/2 miles from my station so I protect my own neighborhood. Plus it only takes a 5 minute drive to get to work and I can sleep a little later than most guys do!
:D

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-09-2004, 04:47 AM
FF / Paramedic since 1991 volunteer and part-time. Went fulltime in 2000.....after leaving the computer tech field...love the 24/48 work schedule...

I was also a PT Lt. with my hometown department for 5 yrs. ending last Oct when I resigned to have more time for my wife and kids. I am also a Certified Fire Instructor......

Going to the fire service fulltime was the best decision I have ever made........I was not a happy guy while working in an 8x8 little office 40-50 hrs. per week....

I have been mowing, etc since I was 13......got back to it heavily 5 yrs ago...

Derek

T. Matthews
01-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Hey Everyone.

I'm a volunteer ff for my town and Certifed MA ff as well. I work as an EMT for a local Ambulance Co. I 'm also a gardener/ wildland firefighter/ Hazmat first responder for the National Park Service. I also run my own Landscape maint. co we have 2 p/u trucks and 1 dump a kubota tractor and 2 deck mowers. I'm Mauget tree injection cert. and and have a A.A.S in Hort. I work as a Funeral Apprentice as well It' s pretty cool how many of us as some of the same professions. Keep safe and work hard. I will be having shirts to trade soon if anyone is interested.

turfsurfer
01-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Wow, this is an old thread but I'll do my part to maybe make it the longest running thread. Full-time FF/EMT with Columbus, Ohio since 1993. Doing lawn care on the side (actually more hours than I spend at the firehouse) since 1994.

qualitylandscaping
01-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Captain and Vice President of the Explorer post in Scottsville, NY.
Getting my CFR this year and will hopefully start running some ambulance calls.:waving:

STAN1366
01-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Lt. FDNY, 22 yrs. CFR-D, started mowing 38 yrs ago in the neighborhood. Still enjoy it and hope to continue after I retire though that ain't happening anytime soon as I enjoy hopping on the big red truck even more!

little green guy
01-11-2004, 04:31 AM
wow this thread is old, I've been on for 3 years now as a FF and first responder. Acually I just got back from a pretty nasty call about 15 min ago, it's like 4:30 am and I'm kinda wound up and not realy wanting to go to sleep.

KirbysLawn
01-11-2004, 09:53 AM
I guess I'll give my update...

In September 2001 I injured my shoulder and have had to retire to dispatching/call taking. I am still a certified EMT-P, I'm also a certified EMD with honors and primary dispatch controller during day shifts in Charlotte.

wow this thread is old

Just shows how the search feature can keep things together and going. ;)

chimmygew
01-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I am an EMT-advanved up here in the great town of Linton, IN.

jrs mowing
01-11-2004, 05:05 PM
I have been a vol. fireman for 14yrs. now and still going.

jsr2741
01-11-2004, 05:34 PM
12 years a Policeman. If I had to do it over and I was going into public service, I'd be a fireman.

faithfulFrank
01-11-2004, 05:58 PM
I thought I just posted here, but it did not take..? I am a 13 year career firefighhter in Batavia, N.Y. I'm also a EMT-D, (formerly a Critical Care Tech). I also am a NYS EMS Instructor. I just bought a new Exmark 52" HP, and am thinking of taking this lawncare business a bit more seriously. We work 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on, 4 days off...great for a side business.
I'll try this again to see if this posts....sorry if this is redundant.

01-11-2004, 08:05 PM
10 years as a police officer and 11 years as a detective for the same department.

I can retire, but I need to build the lawn business some more to supplement the retirement income.

firekilr2
01-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Air Force Firefighter for 4 1/2 years, 10 years Fulltime FF paramedic, 1 1/2 Lieutenant Paramedic. Officier of jump company Engine / Ambulance. Local 1236. Love the orange and the green.

Quality Lawn Care
01-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Full-time Mpls. Mn Airport Firefighter.

CHAN
01-11-2004, 11:07 PM
25 years as a Vol. FF-Medic and the last 15 as chief of our local vol. fire dept. Spent 10 years as a paid Medic in town before retiring 3 years ago. I now just do vol. and farm peanuts and cows along with my fulltime Lawn Service.

capmaint
01-11-2004, 11:19 PM
18 1/2 yrs as a police officer...patrol, motorcycles, and last 5 as a detective. Looks like we are outnumbered by the firefighters!

Sam-Ohio
01-12-2004, 04:47 AM
My daughter is a paramedic [10 years] and an emergency trained physician assistant [2 years]. She works for an air medevac co - and they also do the 24 on 48 off schedule.

If you want to hear some interesting and often funny "war stories" - they sure can run into some situations with those helacopters , trying to get in and back out of landing sights , in the dark, often in marginal to really bad weather, and the victims of accidents, electrocutions, shootings, fire, etc are always in very bad shape , which is the only reason air medevac is usually called for. If the victim isn't criticle, there is no need to call for an air lift.

The other duty she sometimes gets is to accompany a patient in from overseas. Her company also owns a couple of jets that are all equiped as air ambulances. If there is an emergency need to get patients to the Cleveland Clinic - no matter where they are in the world - they can be brought in by one of these jets.

She has been to every continent, and dozens of nations, picking up or taking home very sick people. On take back flights they even sometimes get to see a bit of the country or city they have flown too.

No, she doesn't mow lawns part time - I just posted this cause I think she has a unique job as an emergency medical person, which most of these posts are about.

Firefighter698
01-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Tomorrow will be my 12 year anniversary as a professional Firefighter / E.M.T. (Local 526) in Lexington, Kentucky. Also have 4 years as Crash / Fire / Rescue with the U.S. Air Force. Previous to being a firefighter, I had 9 years with the Lexington Police Dept. 21 years total with the city of Lexington. While in the Air Force i had 9 years as a Law Enforcement Specialist. When I can find the time I compete in Cowboy Action Shooting, so I can say I have lived all my boyhood dreams, Policeman, Fireman and Cowboy.

lawn perfection
01-12-2004, 10:56 AM
I've benn mowing part time for 7years now, I am enrolled in the E.M.T. class for this semester at the local college. I start tonight 1/12/04 wish me luck.