PDA

View Full Version : how to bid a school

jspsc123
03-23-2012, 12:36 AM
hi, this is my 1st year as a landscaper and i am looking for some advice. i actually just started a week ago.

the company who does my sons elementary school is really bad. they dont edge anything, every turn they make on their 0turn scuffs up the grass, and they dont clean up. the parking lot is literately filled with grass for the first couple days and there are tire marks of grass from the mowers on the pavement

i can do a better job and want to. how do i make this happen. i am going to talk to the receptionist tomorrow when i drop my son off. any advice as appreciated. also if they give me the time of day what should i even ask for $. its a pretty small school

Tizzy
03-23-2012, 12:46 AM
idk about your area. but around here schools are not allowed to be mowed durring school hours. something to consider when bidding. other than that most of the restrictions come with pesticides and fertilizer.

also schools are usually all about price. most of them have someone doing it dirt cheap thats why they havent done any edging or cleanup.

honestly only you know what you have to charge for it. best of luck to you.

calvinslawnservices
03-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Depends on how bad you want to work for little to no pay. The school budgets are getting smaller and smaller and landscaping is the last one to get the meat left on the bone or it's the maintenance people doing it. My college does that, they don't know what the hell their doing.

jspsc123
03-23-2012, 01:04 AM
as of right now i know nothing about pesticides and fertilizer but i could get it done. a 2 of my neighbors have been doing landscaping for years and said that i could use them as a sub for anything i cant do. i have just been doing cut ,weed eat, blow, and some mulch. i do know that they cut during school hrs because i have seen them finishing up when i pick my son up.
for pricing i would be happy with 200 a week but i dont know if thats too hi or low. it wouldnt even take me a day to do. when i first talked to my neighbor landscapers about my residental pricing they said i was way too low and gave me reasons for it. i havent got a chance to talk to them today but its been on my mind since i picked my son up today

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-23-2012, 01:11 AM
hi, this is my 1st year as a landscaper and i am looking for some advice. i actually just started a week ago.

the company who does my sons elementary school is really bad. they dont edge anything, every turn they make on their 0turn scuffs up the grass, and they dont clean up. the parking lot is literately filled with grass for the first couple days and there are tire marks of grass from the mowers on the pavement

i can do a better job and want to. how do i make this happen. i am going to talk to the receptionist tomorrow when i drop my son off. any advice as appreciated. also if they give me the time of day what should i even ask for $. its a pretty small school

This being your first year you better start on jobs little smaller
School here you need 2mil insurance and workman's comp doesn't matter if you a solo you got to have it or they wont hire you I say this be requirements on all school but might want check that out

Since you first yr they cant call any reference on how you mowed others lawns yrs past

The school I do for last 3 yrs is 60 acres and this yr I wasn't lowest bidder They like the way I mow and the time frame I'm there With 8 DC 4 trimmers does not take long to mow/trim
This year I won bid on the 5 sport fields for treatment
and the last 3 yrs I have done there snow service

You might win it depends on the district if they don't care what looks like as long it gets done you might have a chance

heather lawn sp
03-23-2012, 01:58 AM
This being your first year you better start on jobs little smaller
School here you need 2mil insurance and workman's comp doesn't matter if you a solo you got to have it or they wont hire you I say this be requirements on all school but might want check that out

Since you first yr they cant call any reference on how you mowed others lawns yrs past

The school I do for last 3 yrs is 60 acres and this yr I wasn't lowest bidder They like the way I mow and the time frame I'm there With 8 DC 4 trimmers does not take long to mow/trim
This year I won bid on the 5 sport fields for treatment
and the last 3 yrs I have done there snow service

You might win it depends on the district if they don't care what looks like as long it gets done you might have a chance

. . . like the man says

We do 50 schools a week at average of 3 acres each :canadaflag:.

1 safety
2 price
3 speed

will get you there.

The qualification form was 25 pages, the contract is 15 pages. At any tender there is up to 10 bids.

Getting married was easier:dizzy:

jspsc123
03-23-2012, 09:31 AM
i just talked to the secretary and she gave me a # for downtown. her and several other ladies in the office said to take pictures of the school to show them how bad it is. when bidding can you bid a single school? right now there is now way i could do the 50-60 acres talked about above. there is about 150 schools in mecklenburg county and i only want 3 or 4 of them

JB1
03-23-2012, 09:51 AM
i just talked to the secretary and she gave me a # for downtown. her and several other ladies in the office said to take pictures of the school to show them how bad it is. when bidding can you bid a single school? right now there is now way i could do the 50-60 acres talked about above. there is about 150 schools in mecklenburg county and i only want 3 or 4 of them

bid them cheap and they could be yours, if the price is right.

jspsc123
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
would 200 a week be reasonable. i have never bid before. when bidding can you see what the other guys are charging

JB1
03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
you can see what was paid the year before, i don't even look at the schools any more, the bidding got to be too stupid, when you have bidders commenting that they will get it no matter how low it goes. can't or won't compete against stupid.