PDA

View Full Version : Topsoil and seed

wkbrafford
03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Spreading 15 yards of topsoil over a yard. What would be the best bet to kill the grass before I spread the topsoil 2 to 3 inches over the yard? Or would the grass die after I spreaded the soil over top? Thanks for the reaponses
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
03-23-2012, 08:12 AM
till it one way or another.

merrimacmill
03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Its best to completely remove the existing sod. Try a harley rake on a skid steer, it works well for me in this application. Or if you can't get access to one of those, try just a tooth bucket pointed down, back dragging. This will rip the ground enough so you will have the ability to scrap off the sod layer. This method will produce much more material to haul off site though.

If you don't remove the sod, it will begin to rot under the top soil and cause problems for your new lawn.

wkbrafford
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Was going to till but was considering. So till and spread and they grass should not grow through
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
03-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Was going to till but was considering. So till and spread and they grass should not grow through
Posted via Mobile Device

what kind of grass do you have now and what are you gonna plant.

Kiril
03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
what kind of grass do you have now and what are you gonna plant.

........ and why do you need topsoil?

wkbrafford
03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Rutted clay yard smooth and spead topsoil was going to talk to my seed distributor to see if they have a good ground cover over the summer. Fall arrive aerate and fescue.
Posted via Mobile Device