PDA

View Full Version : Different Lesco Prices!

lrose2
12-10-2002, 10:04 PM
I don't know what the Lesco policy is but it seems every time I go there to make a purchase I get quoted a different price (higher usually) than the price I purchased the same product for the last time I was there. Then, when I correct the person that just gave me the quote by telling him that is not what I paid last time, they pull up a computer screen and say "Oh, yea! You're right!" and sell the item to me for the lower price. Anyone else run into this with Lesco?

MacLawnCo
12-10-2002, 10:10 PM
Perfect price discrimination. It allows then to capture more of the consumer surplust which means more profit for them. Sorry for the econ definition, but that is what it is.

If they can get away with the higher price, that means more money for them. I hear that this is how TGCL works as well. They start high and then go almost to rock bottom if need be.

BTW, is this the one by the dayton mall? I will have to be more careful.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-10-2002, 11:03 PM
Common..

There is lot of info on this subject, and some still going on in the "fert n pest " forum of LS.

Envy Lawn Service
12-10-2002, 11:16 PM
I don't have a local Lesco. I did drop by the one in Charlotte NC. It wasn't exactly what I expected when I drove up. Real small place.

Anyways, where I get my supplies, I know the owner personally. He typed up a price list just for me that I keep in the truck. When I go to get something I just jump out of the truck with it in hand and point out what I want off the list. Never a problem with prices :D

Maybe some of you could patronize your local seed/feed/fertilize dealers and come out better. I know I do and I feel better as I drive away knowing I have supported my local business owner like myself rather than spending at a chain store.

Just something to think about......

Evan528
12-10-2002, 11:32 PM
My lesco is the same way....they have list prices but rarly do I pay them or do I ever pay the same price for the same rodict 2 times in a row!!!! Ussually they will pull up "some computer screen" and say "how is 13 dollars a bag?" From there we ussually bargain a little untill we agree on a price. Kind of strange........

lrose2
12-11-2002, 12:23 AM
Jason,

That's the one!

65hoss
12-11-2002, 01:18 AM
There is no telling how many "new guys" and price shoppers they see every week. All with big dreams or big promises but nothing at that moment. Like with anything, you must establish a relationship. When people only show up at their door a couple of times a year or the 1st time, they must treat them as a retail sale. They have nothing to prove otherwise to them at that point.

The guys at my local LESCO are very knowledgable and helpful. They are very easy to work with and always do what they say they will. I've tried others with with good results, but I didn't like the quality of materials as much.

Relationships are built. Don't expect someone who spends $100 per year to be treated as someone that spends $10k. You don't treat your customers that way. What if Mrs. Jones that spends $30 per cut with you calls and says I want you here at 9am sharp. Then your $30k per year comm'l customer says I have a meeting I insist you attend tomorrow at 9am. Which one gets the priority?

KerryB
12-11-2002, 12:17 PM
I went to the Lesco in Charlotte and yes it was somewhat small but the prices they gave me where the same ones on the Lesco price sheet I got from the home office of Lesco.
Not to mention that he had some triblend perr. Rye that was not used this year at a local golf course. So he made me an even better offer on it. I must say that it was well worth the 170 mile round trip. I saved $675.00. They also offered to send anything I need to me. If it is $1200.00 or more freight free on their truck. If it is a small order ups. Very nice and helpful guys.

Mscotrid
12-11-2002, 04:01 PM
There is a difference in pricing, usually depends on size of your operation or if you have competitive issues. I would recommend you visit with your lesco associate in your area and work out a program and get a schedule of pricing. Normally you would supply them with real acerage or yearly estimates of usage.

This is a very competitive business from our side and the vendor side. It is our responsibilty to be professional in all aspects of our business. Know your current price for all products you use. You should also budget your fuel and repairs. Prices can vary, do to market demands and increase in raw ingredients.

Stay informed and stay ahead of yoyr competition.

tremor
12-11-2002, 10:10 PM
There is already more than enough info on this site about our prices, so I would refer anyone on this thread to take a look at some of the others.

But I will try again.

The prices are always based on the sales volume of the last 2-4 quarters. The amount someone has spent determines which "column" their price quote comes from. In a valid competitive situation or when a newer customer (who lacks sales history) needs a quote, we have an entire department on staff to handle the situation. Ask your sales person. Griping about it here solves nothing unless you remember to email a link to your salesperson.

The Early Order Program is also tiered and applies to items that we manufacture. Order now, fair discount. Take in December, big discount. Order, take, & pay in December, very fat discount. For those who qualify, the offer includes terms until May '03. Wait until January, & urea IS going up. Some get better raw material costs than others, so we'll all just have to wait & see what energy costs really do to raws.

I haven't lost even a single order to price since November. Show me a written quote on a competitors letterhead that's lower in price on the same grade & quality. Fax 203-378-7087.

I know for a fact that there is only one price list for the entire east coast zone from Maine down about to the Carolina's & over to about Western Pa. or Ohio. I know & regulary converse with the people who wrote it & why. These folks are intelligent & tenured green industry professionals who know what they're doing.

SHOW ME THE MONEY

I don't feel that Chuck's website is the appropriate forum for this sort of conversation to take place. I will therefore only respond again to this matter when inqiries are sent to my own email address. Have all the pertinent, required information ready before contact, including account number, please. All correspondence will be kept in the strictest confidence based on the wishes of the customer.

Respectfully,

Steve

sls247@lesco.com

lrose2
12-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Quote- I don't feel that Chuck's website is the appropriate forum for this sort of conversation to take place. I will therefore only respond again to this matter when inqiries are sent to my own email address. Have all the pertinent, required information ready before contact, including account number, please. All correspondence will be kept in the strictest confidence based on the wishes of the customer.

Respectfully,

Steve

sls247@lesco.com [/B][/QUOTE]

Steve,

You seem to be a little touchy about this thread. Really don't care! As you can see from reading these posts I am not the only person this is happening to. When I go into Lesco and purchase some Lescomelt II for $8.50 one week and go back two weeks later and am quoted $10 per bag for the same thing, that does not make sense regardless if I am a first time buyer or not. If I touched a nerve with you, don't really care. I will say that this is my first year using Lesco products which I like and one salesman at my local store is very knowledgeable and helpfull. Your explanation of Lesco pricing system does not defend the difference in the price quote 2 weeks later.

So, you don't think Chucks website is the appropriate place for this discussion to take place? Again, too bad. Apparently others feel that it is as Chucks site is used to exchange information with other LCO's, or at least that was my understanding when I signed up.

Again, I like Lescos products and will probably continue to use them unless you blackball my company some how. Now you wouldn't really do that would you, Steve, because I have expressed my opinion and concern about a dealer that I am in the process of developing a relationship with? Geeezzzz.......

LAWNGODFATHER
12-12-2002, 01:30 AM
Considering Tremor does work for Lesco, technically his displayed a gracefull tact in his post cause "Chuck" did set guidlines and technicly a product is being bashed.

I had a many many many problems with Lesco and Steve was gratious enough to take the time (on his own time not Lesco's) to straighen out what was happening to me.

So why don't you e-mail him and he can help you with your problem.

You aren't going to solve it by bitchingand moaning on Lawnsite.

Take the propper channels to solve the problem, not complain about someting you haven't really done anything to solve.

lrose2
12-12-2002, 01:47 PM
LGF ref. your last post:

I figured out that Tremor works for Lesco way before you told me. And yes, Tremor did reply in an informative, educated, professional although irritated manner.

I started this thread because of an incident that happened to me, therefore, giving me personal first hand knowledge concerning same. I stated what had happened and asked if this has happened to others, which it has. I also posted that I liked Lesco and their products and would continue to use them. Now that is some serious, heavy duty product bashing. I hope I don't get banned from LS!

You posted earlier that this was "Common...There is lot of info on this subject, and some still going on in the 'fert n pest' forum on LS". At that point I thought we were on the same page. Then your latest post in this thread stating that I am bitching, moaning and complaining. Do you always go both ways or is it because Tremor posted?

I have taken the appropriate steps to correct this minor inconvenience and am confident that it can be rectified with my salesman, however, should I need Tremors help I will ask. Now that I know that this happens to others and not just me I am sure it can and will be fixed.

GroundKprs
12-12-2002, 02:16 PM
I agree, LGF. Think you read his post the wrong way. It wasn't really a piss-'n-moan post, it was a tostesterone post.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Keep in mind how many people complain on here and do nothing about it.

tremor
12-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Hey All,

I suppose LGF is correct. Larry is the only person to send me an email about this. He worked this out with the sales guys through the proper channels.

If only all stories had happy endings!

Thank you to everyone who does seek solutions. Communication is the only way to work these things out. And without criticism, we never learn.

Steve

TurfGuyTX
12-17-2002, 11:23 AM
I understand the way Lesco does it's pricing. I guess it's because I've taken the time to get to know my sales people at Lesco. What businesses guarantee the same prices without a written price sheet?

Steve, I always appreciate what I can learn from you here on Lawnsite. Thanks.

CCLAWN
12-31-2002, 02:19 AM
[B]Those who dont know correct grammar and how to spell should not tell others thay if your stupid you deserve to suffer.
Lesco is no different than any other large corporation they have no allegiances to their customer base. They are very nice and ussually educated in agronomics, However they are like car salesmen, their job is to evaluate you then determine how much they can sell the product to you for. If they believe you dont know what the best price you can get from them. Its their job to try and gig you for more, then come down from there. Try using regional or smaller local vendors. Keep buying from lesco if they have something you need for convienince:dizzy:

snowbound
12-31-2002, 04:50 PM
One should be careful of putting everyone into one large group as the same. Do you price every lawn that you mow or fertilize at the same price? I hope not! Often the larger the property the lower the price per sq ft or acre it is. Volume talks these days. Nothing wrong with hunting for the best price, but your time has to be worth something. Oh YA how about the service and the return policy where does the fit in to your equation?

LAWNGODFATHER
01-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by CCLAWN
Those who dont know correct grammar and how to spell should not tell others thay if your stupid you deserve to suffer.

Those who correct or point this out should make sure they are perfect first.

Missing ',,

Ric
01-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Tremor

Sorry but I have send you numerous e-mails and PM. Tremor you have my toll free number and we have talked on my nickel many times. One time you send a contact us reply from my website. You gave your address as 1400 Pa.Ave and I send you back proof of knowing the guy next door at 1600. There is a PM in your box right now that was send before this post got started. I have even taken my invoices into Lesco and shown them what I was paying. Thursday I purchased two cases of Mancozeb from Lesco for twice what I pay for it from Helena. TREMOR ALL YOU HAVE EVER DONE FOR ME IS GIVE ME LIP SERVICE. But then I think I only spend $ 10,000 at Lesco this year. Tremor look and see how much I spend at lesco this year. If you look at what I buy you will also realize how much I must be buying from others. I don't keep cost by supplier maybe I should. Also ask your local guys how many trucks I have on the road. While you are asking, ask what companies were bought out this year and who bought them. Yes I would like to buy everything from lesco but your prices won't let me. No I donít want to burn any bridges with Lesco but I am tired of grabbing my ankles every time I go there.

Everybody

Realize Lesco is the 7-11 right on the corner. If you need a king sized candy bar fast then pay $ 1.19 for one and go the supermarket tomorrow and buy a case at $0.79 each. Remember that most Lesco brand products are actually someone else in a Lesco Bag. Or some one else makes the same blend. Lesco can BS all they want but fertilizer and pesticides are commodity. That salesman expert at your local branch is a former spray tech or lawn boy who could not make $ 30,000 a year that Lesco pays them. Sorry local salespeople facts are facts, how many times did you fail the exam?? I know you read this forum, I was the one that turned you on to it. I am still PO about the day you charged me full price for fertilizer that was on sale. Your answer when I ask why was ďI did know you knew it was on SaleĒ That was a pretty lame excuse. No I donít want to burn any bridges with Lesco but I am tired of grabbing my ankles every time I go there.

I buy from UHS, Helena Chemical, Southern Agi, and Prosource One. They all deliver and bill me net 30 at prices much less than Lesco. Check out other suppliers in your area.

tremor
01-19-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey Ric,

Calm you fiesty self down!

IF I got a real email from you (& I HAVEN"T), I would have responded to you in less than 24 hours like I always do!

Did you lose it?

sls247@lesco.com

or call me. That hasn't changed either.
203-378-0191 reverse the charges from 6:30-7AM. I'll be here Tues & Thurs next week.

If anyone else wants to converse with me then I suggest also using this one. I almost never check Lawnsite Private Mail folders.

Now when you calm down, send me the exact product name your talking about & who made it. The numbers you were rambling on about in the PM section are WAY below our cost. That could mean you're buying Chinese fungicide from your Japanese owned buddies. If that's the case, I can't do anything about it. We sell either American or French made Mancozeb. You want cheap crap? Go ahead & buy it.

Let me know.

Steve

Ric
01-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Steve

Yes I have calmed my feisty self down. While I was out I realized I hit my local salespeople a little below the belt. No a whole lot below the belt. I was hoping to edit my post before you or they saw it. But now it is too late. I get up set very easy at times and fall on my sword. This is one of those times. However the only thing I am sorry about is how hard I hit my local guys. I should not of done that and only hope they will forgive me. They have been fairly good to me.

So far as buying Chinese fungicide from my Japanese owned buddies. Apples are apples. Is it better to buy a Honda made in Tenn., or a Ford made in Canada?? America is no longer an industrial nation. So donít throw the flag at me. I am 13 generation American. 1632 my forefather came to this country as an indentured servant for William Stanton the first governor of Maryland. My Amer-asian son and myself are members of the S.A.R. My Amer-asian daughter is a member of the D.A.R. I fought a war beside Asian people against Asian people. That " "Asian crap" " has the same numbers on the jug and works just fine.

Now to the Question at hand, Lesco prices. Pesticides and fertilizers are commodity, just like corn or wheat. As a businessman it is my job to purchases the best supplies at the best possible price to keep my costs down and margin up. As a Salesman it is your job to sell a lot of your product at the highest price possible; to keep your margin up. Yes I will continue to use Lesco as my 7-11. So it all boils down to how much Lesco wants to sell me. At your current price structure I would better off buying Scotts 29-2-3 in 30 lb bags for $ 20.00 at Home Depot. It is right beside Lesco brand fertilizer at Home Depot. Scotts cost a little more than Lesco but I get that great Scotts name.

We are fighting a losing battle here. Lesco will not give me a big enough discount to get my volume business. I will not pay Lesco prices in volume. So I will deal with my Japanese buddies and Lesco can pick the low hanging fruit of homeowners and uneducated yard boys.