PDA

View Full Version : Bad Economy

Jerrys Lawn Service
12-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Well we finally put everything away for the season this week. Alot of people are dropping off and mailing their final payments to us,but with these payments are substantial tips. Look we've gotten tips in the past but nothing like this year, I'm talking about $50- $100 tips from quite a number of people. I guess I should be thankful that we are appreciated. The economy must not be too bad! How about the rest of you?

Jerry

greenman
12-10-2002, 11:00 PM
I got a 35% raise form one of my customers a couple of weeks back. She insisted, I couldn't refuse:)

I think the economy is really fixing to get going real strong next year.

cajuncutter
12-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Last year we delivered Christmas trees and recieved hardly any tips. I figured it was due to the tragedy in N.Y. I figured everyone was scared to spend money for fear of a crashing stock market. Well this year we made about 60 bucks out of 350 trees. This was roughly what we made last year. I do not know if it is economy or what but I can tell you this. The people in the not so expensive neighborhoods were the tippers and the big 300grand plus homes gave nothing!!! Same as last year. The rich don't get rich giving it away or perhapse the fools are living beyond their means. Who knows!!

LAWNGODFATHER
12-10-2002, 11:01 PM
No tips, but I have seen an increase on customers spending budgets, if any of mine actually have them.

Tony Harrell
12-11-2002, 06:38 AM
A lot of "well off" people SKIRT the law and drop well below normal ethics. This does not apply to all of course, just most. I sleep well at night knowing my karma is good. If I didn't watch the news or read newspapers, I wouldn't think the economy is so bad. Granted, there are big layoffs and the United Airlines bankruptcy. But, those don't affect me where I live.

SLS
12-11-2002, 07:02 AM
I with Tony.

If it were not for the media (and a couple of stocks I hold) I would think the economy is fine. My net jumped by 48% this year over last year...while maintaining practically the same number of clients. Most of this increase was attributed to add-on services and better expense/overhead management, though I must credit selectivity of clients accepted and weeding out of less-profitable clients too. And yes, Christmas bonuses/gifts from clients are way up too.

bubble boy
12-11-2002, 10:16 AM
no tips, no real increase in spending per.

unless you are approaching Allin status, really ours is business that relies on local market conditions. what is happening nationally is not necessarily affecting your market. especially upper middle class and higher, they tend to be somewhat insulated from cycles. you're area could be doing well.

Randy Scott
12-11-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Granted, there are big layoffs and the United Airlines bankruptcy. But, those don't affect me where I live.

I disagree. A corporation like United filing bankruptcy is going to have those affects trickle down the entire system. Someone somewhere will absorb those costs. Finance companies losing out will pass the expense to us, unpaid fuel bills by the airline will be passed to us, and any other expenses that United will be able to clear themselves of when they file for reorganization. If you don't think you're affected, I think you are mislead. The good, honest hard working people of the U.S. pretty much absorb all the costs of failures in society. Middle class, hard working people with ethics are the backbone of society! People who file bankruptcy have no use to me and will get no respect. When there are fricken' T.V. commercials talking about how easy it is to file bankruptcy if you have high credit card debt, something has gone seriously wrong with society. It's too easy for this scum to get out of their responsibilities. Run up your bills and then bail out. Scumbag lawyers and attorneys play off these people and they add to the problem this country is facing. I have 26 year old in-laws that just filed bankruptcy because they had too many bills and couldn't pay them. Uh, hello, that's why we work, to pay our bills. Also, who accumulated those bills? Morons. I guarantee you, 10 years from now they'll do it again. They are uneducated idiots and society just keeps making them dumber by bailing them out. Here's an idea, get a fricken' second job and pay your bills.
Is it obvious I don't have much to say to these people at our family functions? :rolleyes:
It's really an unfortunate fact about how the good , honest people have to pay the costs and suffer the consequences for the ignorant. Makes you wonder who the smart ones really are! :confused:

Brickman
12-11-2002, 11:21 AM
When I was doing lawn care I didn't get many tips. But the ones I did were always from the same people. One customer gave me $100 at Christmas for 3 years in a row.

As for tipping in general I think that the nice people will tip, and the mean people will .............. well you fill in the blank. I know this gal that works very hard at a local restaurant. Some days she gets good tippers, and other days not. She told me once that at a table of 5 she got a B U C K. She has been my server on more than one occasion, and she is the best I have ever had.
For starters I always had a full glass of what ever I was drinking. :cool: That is important.

Some people are nice and others ARE NOT.

mklawnman
12-11-2002, 12:20 PM
I would have to say no extra tips or anything just the same checks from my customers. Some are on a budget but most of them pay me out in full all the time and on time. I would say this industry will always be needed in a recession or in a surplus. Industrial people need us to take care of their grounds and with companies down sizing and people have to work longer to make more money that means less time for them to come home and work on their yard or to spruce it up, thats why they call us. True this whole bankruptcy thing will affect us somehow down the line its just a matter of time, but the thing is alot of people every day file for it. The people who are smart who need the extra money to pay their expenses will get other jobs to pay, but the others who just sit on their butts will be the ones who will be filing for bankruptcy.
Matt

rodfather
12-11-2002, 02:23 PM
I damn near had an accident this morning in my truck.

Opened up a Chrismas Card from a real good (new this year) customer while I was driving and out fell 2 brand new Ben Franklins ($100 bills) with a nice thank you note to boot!!!

Think I'm gonna buy something nice for myself...for a change.

mklawnman
12-11-2002, 02:56 PM
WOW :eek: What a lucky man you are. I wish i got that from my customers, besides the usual payment. I usually get that from my grandma for x-mass, make sure you do a very good job next season too, and buy something nonbusiness related with the money :) If you want too, id buy some PS2 stuff he he and other things its spending money
Matt

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-11-2002, 03:21 PM
No tips yet, but then again, I havn't sent out my Christmas cards yet. Biggest tip I ever got was from this guy who sold his house and asked me to help him load the big stuff in the U-Haul. Only took 1 hour plus I had 2 beers with him. His final mowing bill was $238, so as he was writing the check, I just figured he would round it up to $300 for helping him out. He wrote the check for $738!!!! $500 tip!!! Had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Had only been mowing for this guy for 3 years and could count on 2 hands the number of times I saw him.

bubble boy
12-11-2002, 04:02 PM
holy $500!

do you do his new house? heck i'd drive pretty far for a tip like that.:cool:

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by bubble boy
holy $500!

do you do his new house? heck i'd drive pretty far for a tip like that.:cool:
Wish I was. This was his second home. He lives 2 1/2 hours away.:( :cry: :( :cry:

eslawns
12-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Lousy tips for the last 3 years.

IMO, this is less a sign of a bad economy than it is a sign that people are stingy and selfish.

A lot of "well off" people SKIRT the law and drop well below normal ethics. This does not apply to all of course, just most.

I completely disagree, and this is a typical attitude of most working class people. Don't believe it. When the IRS reviews tax returns for audit, do you think they care about Joe and Jill Sixpack who make $25k a year? No, they look at people who make over $100k, which means these people are more likely to get caught, and as a rule, more likely to play by the rules. If you watch the nightly news, you'll end up thinking every person in business is a crook. Most people in business are just trying to make a buck and retain some self respect.

As far as who "skirts the law" take a look at this industry. Do you think the people referred to as scrubs on this site are skirting the law? How many do you think have a business license? Insurance? Pay taxes? Report income? Look at general contractors or trades. I can't think of a person I ever met who worked in a trade (non business owner) who didn't work weekends and evenings under the table. Some I've known have used company equipment and done it on the clock. That's not skirting the law? Get real.

A corporation like United filing bankruptcy is going to have those affects trickle down the entire system.

True. It's called the "ripple effect" but it goes on all the time. The economy is being blamed on George Bush, but the things that precipitated it were showing up more than a year before he was elected.

A lot of things affect our economy, starting with the fallout from major corporations going belly up (United, Service Merchandise, AMF, Enron, Global Crossing, Worldcom, Montgomery Ward, and a long list of others) but these things have been blown out of proportion by the media because they are p*ssed that Bush won the election despite their best efforts to keep him out. These people talked us right into a recession, and will do every single thing they can think of to keep it that way until 2004.

Another thing that has hurt the economy is the fear resulting from September 11, 2001. People are afraid and many are doing stupid things thinking the world will end. This is not helped by the useless idiots in the media scaring hell out of old ladies over a possible war in Iraq.

To a lesser degree, the scandals involving the CEO's who scammed investors have hurt us. Not so much directly by theft, which has hurt, but more by undermining the public's confidence in corporate America, and by extension, the stock market. Unfortunately, this is when the economy needs that confidence pretty badly.

I feel bad for Enron employees who lost money, particulary ones who lost it all. But most of these people lost their money because they bet it all on one horse. Diversification of holdings is rule one in any investment plan.

Remember that all we can do with money is hold it (which is bad), spend it (which is good) or save it (which is best).

Grass will need cutting whether the economy is bad or not. You will lose some who choose not to spend money on it. You will gain some who would rather put in some more time at the office than do the yard. Businesses fail every day, and not all business that exist are profitable. If we fail to adapt, we will fail, but blaming the economy is a copout.

rodfather
12-11-2002, 06:16 PM
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: I thought we were talking bout getting tips???

lawncare3
12-11-2002, 11:20 PM
The people in the not so expensive neighborhoods were the tippers and the big 300grand plus homes gave nothing!!!
I agree- the rich people are rich because they don't tip.

Tom023
12-12-2002, 01:30 AM
I just got a tip from a client that i've been working for for 2 years- $100 on a cleanup bill of $175. He said it was for christmas, and for the great job i had been doing! BTW- this guy is gay, and probably in his sixties. Somewhat disturbing- but how can i complain with a tip like that? Last year it was $50 for christmas- and he rounds up most of his usual bills! :)

bubble boy
12-12-2002, 01:39 AM
for $100 bucks they all can be gay for all i'd care.

i'm pretty happy with the odd can of Coke.

Tony Harrell
12-12-2002, 06:35 AM
Hey, I'm a conservative republican. Been one all my life. I applaud people like Bill Gates, or Jack Welch. More power to ya baby! If you can do it, I can do it. But the scumbags like Terry Mcauliffe are the ones I'm talking about and it has nothing whatsoever to do with being a democrat. His situation with global crossing is exactly what I mean about skirting the law and bad ethics. I will only mention the Clintons briefly because I haven't had my breakfast yet. They are the poster children of what Im talking about. We have a golden goose here in our country and we need to take care of it. I'm doing my part.

GarPA
12-12-2002, 07:41 AM
I have received only a couple of tips.....
However I do not expect tips. Yes I work very hard for each customer but I am also paid very well for my services.

Any tip is appreciated and not "expected".
Its not unlike employees of a company "expecting" a Christmas bonus/turkey/ham....All they owe me is prompt compensation.

And since all of my renewals have been signed for 2003, I will consider those renewals as the ultimate "tip"....just my little different perspective on tips

Randy Scott
12-12-2002, 05:08 PM
If you are getting alot of tips I think you are leaving something on the table. The customer may just be securing your inexpensive services for another season. I'm not saying that is the case here, but it seems a little out of the norm.
I charge an above average price for my services and give above average service. I wouldn't expect tips and would feel uncomfortable getting them. I don't tip my car salesman, or my plumber, or the grocery store. I pay for a product and/or service and that's what I expect. No more, no less. More power to you if you are getting them, but really, people aren't that nice. I here thank you's continously from customers, but no tips. :)

rodfather
12-12-2002, 05:23 PM
I think the $200 I got the other day, Randy, inside of a Christmas Card was more of a bonus or Christmas gift...not a tip, per se.

Lately, the only tip I can ever remember is "don't eat the yellow snow"...lol

Nick
12-12-2002, 05:26 PM
Randy hit the nail on the head. Raise you prices and you will never see those tips again. They feel as though the job was worth more and you lost out.

rodfather
12-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Nick
Randy hit the nail on the head. Raise you prices and you will never see those tips again. They feel as though the job was worth more and you lost out.

What:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: ? The man spends 10 or 12k a year with us, so I don't think $200 is gonna break his bank. Hello???

Randy Scott
12-13-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by rodfather
What:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: ? The man spends 10 or 12k a year with us, so I don't think $200 is gonna break his bank. Hello???

So, maybe you were still the cheapest. I'm just saying that if someone is continually getting a fair amount of tips, it just doesn't add up. Maybe my part of the country is full of cheapskates then. I'm confused.

Also, along with the yellow snow tip, don't eat the floating Baby Ruth bar in the pool either! :D

Darb
12-13-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by SLS
If it were not for the media (and a couple of stocks I hold) I would think the economy is fine.
SLS, you hit the nail on the head. If the press were more balanced then the economy would improve.

If I start saying the market will drop and enough people believe me ... it does drop. If I say you will lose your job soon, then you will hold on to your money .... you may not lose your job but it can compound and cause someone else to lose their job.