PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bed Edger vs Redefiner

t.land
03-23-2012, 02:51 PM
I do a substantial amount of bed edging every season including re-edging of existing beds and creation of new beds. Until this season my edge has been spade cut, but edging is probably the thing I hate doing most. I typically like to cut my edges anywhere from 4-5" deep (depending on soils, clients desires, etc.) and am wondering if I should go with a Brown Bed Edger or Redefiner? I have found the Bed Edger to cost $2339 at my dealer but haven't researched the Redefiner as much. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Tq23
03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
The brown edger is a great tool and since you can get different rotors, it has many uses. It also does a great job creating a bed or edge. The downside is that it does not do a good job touching up or re-edging an existing edge.

We also have the Echo bed redefiner. This does a great job touching up an existing edge as long as the ground is dry. It does not work very well if the ground is moist or wet. It also only goes down about 2 -3 inches.

blackstarpatriot
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
What about the bedscaper bed edgers? Any good?

underESTIMATED
03-24-2012, 04:43 PM
The brown edger is a great tool and since you can get different rotors, it has many uses. It also does a great job creating a bed or edge. The downside is that it does not do a good job touching up or re-edging an existing edge.

We also have the Echo bed redefiner. This does a great job touching up an existing edge as long as the ground is dry. It does not work very well if the ground is moist or wet. It also only goes down about 2 -3 inches.

+1 True Story.

The Echo redefiner is $600ish, and doesn't work well at all with damp soil/edges.

But still creates a much faster edge than by hand, atleast it adds as a guide.

White Gardens
03-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Like stated above, the brown doesn't do well with already established edges.

Now, what I use to re-define is a Stihl, yardboss tiller head on an FS-90. I take the tines off of one side for a 3-4 inch wide, and however deep I want to go trench.

The beauty of this setup is that I can edge island beds and beds against sidewalks when re-mulching.

And the biggest thing I like is that I can use the tiller head to re-grade the spoils from trenching and move around and turn mulch with it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/16251_197579197642_185135107642_3203761_4505492_n.jpg

Patriot Services
03-24-2012, 07:57 PM
I was put off Echo's BRD when it first came out. Mostly because of the price. Now it's available as a PAS piece. It makes short work in my sandy soils. I also have a Brown that only gets used for new installs. The BRD would probably be a nightmare in clay soil.:usflag:

Golden Boy
03-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I have used all three and each has their place.

The BRD is great for touching up edges and working in dry soils where you only need 2-3"

The Brown Edger works well when you need a deeper edge and the soil is dry.

The BedShaper can get you a deeper edge in wetter conditions when you know that you are going to have to clean up the mess left behind.