PDA

View Full Version : preM application during unseasonable temps

GWhunter
03-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Ok, so some may know that the Northeast has been seeing some high unseasonable temps for the last week or so. It's caused just about every plant to jump to overdrive germination. I know there's no hard fast rules and alot of difference of opinions on when is the right time to apply the first preM application. I'm sure we've all heard the forsythia in bloom stories and many other signs.

I've been forgoing prem on some lawns opting instead to treat any areas of CB with quinclorac. It's worked ok but I'm going to try a combo of both this year to produce better results. I often find the CB seems to take several treatments of quinclorac to finally die. Then of course your left with a bare spot.

The temps here have been in the high 70's to low 80's with high night time temps also. The grass greened up over night but it's been very dry and with little to no snow melt it's concerned to say the least. The forecast is for rain over the weekend so I'd say weeds may start germinating(if they haven't already). So do the lawn gods feel an application of preM is justified? I'd plan on one now and another say late April early May.:confused:

Matt

RigglePLC
03-23-2012, 10:22 PM
You should apply your pre-em between 200 and 500 Growing Degree Days.
Here is the national data. Not clear on if its Gdd base 50 or Gdd base 32.
http://dtninfo.alfafarmers.org/index.cfm?show=1&mapID=35

Or you should apply your pre-em before the soil temp hits 65.
Or you should apply your crabgrass preventer between the first and fifth mowing. Depends on who you trust.

I would say go ahead. You cannot risk waiting until too late.

That rain is here today. we got 3/4 inch so far, but temps have cooled off to 58 at my house, 9 pm.

Smallaxe
03-24-2012, 10:30 AM
For pre-m of broadleaf, you go with the forsythia bloom... for CG you go with the conditions being right... I'd be interestted to know if this early Spring brings the CG around b4 May this year... :)

JFGauvreau
03-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Don't want to hijack this thread but one quick question..

I though CB died in the fall, at the first sign of frost, then germinate with the seeds in the spring.

The problem is: I'm already seeing some dandelion and crabgrass on some lawns!
It's not even April yet and the weeds are already there, so I supposed it's already late for preM to be put down?

RigglePLC
03-24-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't see how you could have crabgrass this early that far north. Are you sure you are looking at crabgrass?
Anybody else, have early crabgrass? What city? How far north so far? What have temperatures been?

GWhunter
03-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't see any weeds other than a little nutsedge. But it's not in my lawns thankfully. I've going to apply PreM this week.

Matt

JFGauvreau
03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
We had temperatures of about 75-80 for at least 10 days in a row in mid March, something I have never seen before. Now this week it's back down to 50-60.

So It's already 2 late for preM I'm thinking... (corn gluten) It takes like 4 weeks to take effect but this year putting down corn gluten is useless because literally 2 weeks after the snow melted, the weeds are out.

Smallaxe
03-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Quackgrass is a perrennial and so are dandelions... Pre-m will never effect either of those plants...

JFGauvreau
03-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Though they both reproduced by seeds, so preM would have a chance to kill the seeds in the spring, on the bags of corn gluten they sell in store, it states that it will kill crabgrass and dandelions lol..

JFGauvreau
03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Quackgrass is a perrennial and so are dandelions... Pre-m will never effect either of those plants...

Crabgrass is annual, dandelions are perennial.

Smallaxe
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Crabgrass is annual, dandelions are perennial.

Your pix is of quackgrass, not CG...