PDA

View Full Version : Scag hydro oil

lowendrider
03-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Just wanted some opinions on what hydro oil I should use. I have a Tiger Cat that I sometimes run for 3 hours straight. I know the oil has to be HOT by then. Manual says 20w50 motor oil, so I was thinking about going with synthetic at some point. I was going to ask the dealers' opinion but wanted some from here as well.

Thanks in advance.

P.Services
03-23-2012, 11:36 PM
ive run my tigers for over 14 hours non stop, so dont worry those scags can handle it. I know my manuals say to use mobil 1 synthetic. I cant speak for yours.

If you really feel you need it you could add a oil cooler, im not sure if that mower has one stock or not.

lowendrider
03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I like the oil cooler idea, I'll have to look into that. I thought it was odd that the TigerCat didn't have a cooler or fans but was assured they weren't necessary and with so many out there without them, I figured I was OK. I would like the piece of mine though..

scagman52
03-24-2012, 08:15 AM
I have a Tiger Cub And Cat. My manuals say 20-50 so thats what I use. I bought 2 oil coolers for a volswagen on ebay and installed them on the mowers. The oil temp dropped about 20 degrees. So far no problems. Running time is about 8 hours a day. You can get the cooler from scag for about $300.00 bracket and all. I did both mowers for under $50.00

lowendrider
03-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm really liking the oil cooler idea..tell me scagman, what kind VW was the oil coolers from? I need to know what to look for when trying to find some. Do you have any pics of the install? I'd like to see how its plumbed.

jkingrph
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a 2006 Wildcat. It has a factory cooler and the manual says 20w50 oil.

I emailed Scag about synthetic and they said ok but was not necessary. I am running Castrol 20w50 full synthetic.. I have not seen a synthetic in Mobil l in this weight range.

scagman52
03-25-2012, 08:19 AM
here is a pic of oil cooler

superdog1
03-25-2012, 08:45 AM
I hope everyone knows and understands that these coolers should be installed on the return (low pressure) side and NOT between the pump and the motor. While it may work for awhile, I'm sure these cheapie coolers are not designed for the pressure levels that the pump puts out to the motor!

agrostis
03-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I hope everyone knows and understands that these coolers should be installed on the return (low pressure) side and NOT between the pump and the motor. While it may work for awhile, I'm sure these cheapie coolers are not designed for the pressure levels that the pump puts out to the motor!

I agree. Hydraulic pressure is between 2500 - 3000 psi in those machine's. You can have a real problem if your plumbing fail's.

lowendrider
04-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the pic Scagman..anymore pics to show me the plumbing? And what type of hose is safe to use? Thanks again