PDA

View Full Version : Cutting an Edge

clayslandscape
03-24-2012, 12:36 AM
I have a new account at a local nursing home and have a lot of curbing that needs a nice edge cut. What is the best and a CLEAN way to cut an edge where many cars are around?

Any special tools?
How do you hold your weedeater?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-24-2012, 12:46 AM
I have a new account at a local nursing home and have a lot of curbing that needs a nice edge cut. What is the best and a CLEAN way to cut an edge where many cars are around?

Any special tools?

Buy you self a edger dont try to edge with a trimmer thats cutting corners and it looks bad

clayslandscape
03-24-2012, 12:57 AM
I have an edger head you can put on a weed eater or do you suggest to have a push edger?
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-24-2012, 01:10 AM
That will work I use stick edges some ppl use a trimmer and turn it up and edge with the string

jiggz
03-24-2012, 11:42 PM
umm, you use an edger

Mikegyver
03-25-2012, 12:27 AM
We do a nursing home with around 1800 ft of edging each week. Do whatever else you do on your other yards that you edge (assuming you edge your other yards). We use a trimmer. I used to be super concerned/constantly worrying about windows/cars but kinda came to the realization that accidents do happen and if I break a window that's why I have insurance. Now thats not to say that I am not careful. I pay attention but at the same time work efficiently. For me its not a matter of if its when. We just try to get in and out of there as fast as possible because the less time you are there the less stuff that can happen IMHO. We don't skimp on anything we just get done in a timely manner.
Only issues we have had with cars is getting dust on them.

weaver
03-25-2012, 11:27 AM

Any special tools?

Sounds like you need a pump sprayer and some round up....:laugh:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
We do a nursing home with around 1800 ft of edging each week. Do whatever else you do on your other yards that you edge (assuming you edge your other yards). We use a trimmer. I used to be super concerned/constantly worrying about windows/cars but kinda came to the realization that accidents do happen and if I break a window that's why I have insurance. Now thats not to say that I am not careful. I pay attention but at the same time work efficiently. For me its not a matter of if its when. We just try to get in and out of there as fast as possible because the less time you are there the less stuff that can happen IMHO. We don't skimp on anything we just get done in a timely manner.
Only issues we have had with cars is getting dust on them.

You ever tried a stick edger vs a trimmer flip up
Edger doesnt throw rocks or dirt and you can walk at a good speed
More accidents you claim means you pay more to keep your insurance
So why take the risk
I known stuff happens why do something you know it will break windows
I dont understand your thinking

Exact Rototilling
03-25-2012, 01:09 PM
1st off Congrats on the account. The last Co. Didn't own an edger or didn't care. This is one.of my.peeves in this industry.

To cut corners you might just rent a.WB edger. You will want a stick edger for tune ups.

Once an edge is established with a blade....you can keep a nice vertical edge with a trimmer. Takes much practice to get it dialed in. Even after using a stick edger or WB edger....I always clean out the groove with the trimmer flipped vertically. And yes always be mind full of who is down range. Wear eye protection.

YMMV
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
03-28-2012, 12:54 AM
You ever tried a stick edger vs a trimmer flip up
Edger doesnt throw rocks or dirt and you can walk at a good speed
More accidents you claim means you pay more to keep your insurance
So why take the risk
I known stuff happens why do something you know it will break windows
I dont understand your thinking
I own a stick edger but never use it. I know for a fact that its faster- you don't have to walk back to the truck to get another handheld- you just flip it up and edge. Plus we like the edge that a string trimmer leaves VS the paper thin one from an edger. IMHO anything that has a blade or string and contacts the ground has an potential to throw rocks.
I have done the cost benefit analysis and for now we edge with a trimmer. I have edged miles and miles with a trimmer and never had an issue.
That's my rationale let me know what you think.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I own a stick edger but never use it. I know for a fact that its faster- you don't have to walk back to the truck to get another handheld- you just flip it up and edge. Plus we like the edge that a string trimmer leaves VS the paper thin one from an edger. IMHO anything that has a blade or string and contacts the ground has an potential to throw rocks.
I have done the cost benefit analysis and for now we edge with a trimmer. I have edged miles and miles with a trimmer and never had an issue.
That's my rationale let me know what you think.

Well you answed it
you know its faster with stick edger
I always edge before unloading the mowers
I may be different then most if edging needs be done and lot trimming I 'll have 1 guy edge and other2 trim or I'll have 2 edge and one trim all depends where we are at We only have to edge every 2-3 weeks