PDA

View Full Version : Working when you're sick

elitelawnteam1
03-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I've been sick for about 5 days now, and still am, I haven't started mowing yet, and it's been raining alot, so i can't really do aerating or clean-ups either. But today it's nice out, and I'm tempted to just wear an extra sheatshirt and get some work done.

What's your take on this? Do you work when you're sick? or stay at home?

Mowerboy04
03-24-2012, 09:30 AM
it sucks, been there done that.

White Gardens
03-24-2012, 09:34 AM
First thing I do is go to the doctor. The faster I can get better, the faster I can recover.

Then I just power through and get as much stuff done as possible while sick. I've got someone hired on now, so that helps, and hopefully I'll have another hired on later this summer.

Richard Martin
03-24-2012, 09:38 AM
There are no sick days.

93Chevy
03-24-2012, 09:56 AM
There was only one sick day I took last year. I stay away from medicine as much as I can and I don't like doctors. Anyway, I'll drink a quart or more of Orange Juice a day, and drink a quart or more of hot Panela drink.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Humans re the only living creature that does not produce their own vitamin C naturally, we all need to consume it pretty much daily for proper immune health. When you do get sick try to take 4X as much vitamin C as normal and add ceyanne to most everything you eat, it will help clear up sinuses. There are times when prescribed antibiotics are about the only solution so if it goes beyond 10 days with no signs of letting up it maybe time for a clinic visit. Last year I was sick in the middle of summer for 2 weeks, went and got meds, 2 weeks later was still sick. One Sunday morning some state CDC workers went door to door saying there had been an air born out break of some kind sickness caused from livestock. I have several farming operations within 3 miles of me. Needless to say it required a differant medication and the entire valley of several thousand people were pretty much infected.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
You work so hard to build up a account list in this trade you cannot risk it and not show up simply because you feel sick. The costs of that are unthinkable and so most will tell you they work sick. I seem to always get some ones spring cold but what I'm worried about now is a Sinus Infection which I have gotten before from dust. And this year is so dam dry as we blow the lawns down or suck the stuff up the dust is unreal nothing like a cloud of dust the size of a house coming off your vac truck. The advantages are the clean ups are going faster I'm just 700 dollars away from setting my all time March sales record and I got 7 more days to shatter that at 1000-1500 a day I think that's certain. The negatives are you can get sick or piss off the neighbors thankfully its finally going to rain tomorrow which were desperate for here. Hope you feel better.

watsmi57
03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I have been sick for several days as well. The pollen and dust have been unreal these past 2 weeks. I just have to push through it. I can't call out. It's just me and one helper. The work still has to be done. I usually wear a mask when it's peak pollen time but I didn't do it soon enough this year I guess. We finally got some rain this weekend so hoping that helps.

I overdid it a little last year around this time too. Fever got to 105 and stayed there and I couldn't breathe, so I got to spend some time in the hospital. Walking Pneumonia.

Trying to take a little better care this year. :)

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I am having a runny nose and watery eyes for the past week because of the pollen but, I just have to hang on and work work work......

justanotherlawnguy
03-24-2012, 07:15 PM
If you don't do it then who is? Being sick sucks but sometimes you just gotta suck it up, put on your big boy shorts and do what you gotta do!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Try to get done what you can. Then go to your Md, walk in clinic or the free check at some drug stores. You might need antibiotics and the sooner you start the sooner you will recover. Our immune systems only beat so much.:usflag:

T.Wells
03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Humans re the only living creature that does not produce their own vitamin C naturally.

Actually, there are three other species of mammals which do not make their own vitamin C. The other three are gorillas, guinea pigs and fruit bats. So you are close with your statement if you used mammals instead of "living creature". However, if you look at all living creatures, many (in addition to those stated previously) do not make their own vitamin C. A quick list of those could include fish, insects, and invertebrates.