PDA

View Full Version : Your Machine Is IN...

Rick13
03-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Just Got The Call Yesterday Afternoon, Your Machine is in...So I jumped in the truck and 15 minutes later I was looking at My 2012 ExMark 30" Riding Aerator!!!!

The pictures can't describe on how nice of a machine (looking wise) when I pulled up to the dealer! Has a great stance, and super easy to use! I just hope it will be easier to get parts and pulls great plugs!

It's been raining in Northern Illinois, so I just drove it through the yard and parked it in the garage. The ground is too wet with our record temps. and its been raining the last few days....but I hope to get it out in less than a week. I don't need a 1200 aerator making more of a mud mess in someone's yard.

So here's a few pictures and I will update Lawnsite once I get it in a few yards!

KrayzKajun
03-24-2012, 12:28 PM
It does seem to have a nice stance on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
what is the price on that thing?

whats the little white bottle on the side? hydro resi ?

OakNut
03-24-2012, 05:27 PM
NICE TRAILER!

That stand-on ridey-thingy is pretty sharp too. :D

Rick13
03-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Yep, the white bottle is the hydro reservoir. And I was surprised at how stable the machine feels....it does not feel tippy or where you are worried about it rolling over why riding it through a yard.

The price my local ExMark dealer gave me was $8,700.00....then he said ExMark had a $700.00 rebate on the machine & 0% interest for 3 years. When I talked to my local Toro dealer he said he would match the ExMark dealer's price...but said to get the $700.00 rebate I would have to buy a mower (which I don't need)....but he said that he would honor and match their price. So the $700.00 rebate really only covers taxes....which is still great!!!

mtmower
03-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Nice unit. Is that a 2" receiver hitch tube on the front? What is the function? I'm also curious about the pressure gauge set up. I run a Classen Stand Aer and it has a level indicator to show tine depth. How would the pressure be able to give you a reading on plug depth?

Rick13
03-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Yep, that is a two inch receiver in the front of the aerator. ExMark/Toro Company is coming out with a spreader and sprayer attachments that will let you aerate and spray or spread at the same time. I think a real game changer doing two things at once will save on time and money!

Based on the hardness of the ground...you will increase the downward pressure(the machine can go up to 1200 psi) which will give you a deeper plug....but the deeper the plug the slower the machine. I feel you really only need 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" and not 5 inches...which the machine can do.

The handling of the machine is what has really impressed me! It is very quick, easy, and you always feel in control....and that was in a very wet yard. So I am looking forward to getting drier weather here in Northern Illinois...so I get start working through My Customers....since Spring has been here the last 3 weeks!

P.Services
03-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Im a fool when it comes to aerating so forgive my dumb question. I thought you only pull plugs in the fall, i was told you dont do it in the spring because it breaks the crab grass barrier???

Rick13
03-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Depends on when you pull plugs...if you wait after the plugs start to break down you can apply your crab prevention...or if you do get some crabgrass, you can always spray it too.

I know a local company would aerate each month and they had the best grass ever. Golf course and athletic fields aerate a lot too.

The nice thing with aeration in the Spring...is you pull your plugs 2 to 3 inches deep, the Spring rains come, and now instead of the new rain trying to work 2 to 3 inches of soil...with your plugs the water will now go down 3 to 5 inches....and now the water is deeper in your soil...your grass roots will grow towards the water...in turn making a healthier, more drought resistant, thicker, yard. Plus if you spread fertilizer after plugging....when the rain breaks down the fertilizer...now the holes with let the dissolved fertilizer go to your roots of the grass...making your yard spread and thicken also.

I think the only time you don't want to aerate is the summer....because of the heat, bugs, and disease can set in...unless you water or have an inground sprinkler system...but you would need to water to keep your yard moist...helping the plugs break down.

OakNut
03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Your truck has chrome.

Your trailer has chrome.

Your aerator needs chrome!

http://www.mowersdirect.com/product-images/180_TractorWheelie_500.jpg

:D

Even though I know how stupid it would be, I wanna put these on my brand new walk behind in the worst way. LOL!

Rick13
03-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Yep, OakNut...I still have a little work to do on those white rims....lol!

WHIPPLE5.7
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Makes me feel like small potatos with my little XT5. Nice looking unit and truck for that matter. Business must be treating you good.

Dean of Green
03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Nice machine. Can you give us a close-up pic of some aerated turf so that we can see the plug pattern?

Rick13
03-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Sure I can give you a few pictures...but it will take a day or two before I get going...the weather has been raining here almost everyday and the ground is super soft. So it will take a few days.

Rick13
03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
I also ordered the new Toro 30" TimeCutter...so I will try that out in my yard too....my son is almost 12 years old and he is going to start learning how to mow...so I can give him a few accounts by our house this summer...once he gets up to speed.

The local Toro dealer said that he is hoping to get a few more TimeCutters in this Friday or Saturday so then I can pickup the Toro 30"....cut my yard with that (take a few pictures) and then run the ExMark 30" Riding Aerator through the back area (and then take a few pictures of plugs and pattern).

So hopefully Monday or Tuesday based on the weather I'm hoping to have both pictures done...based on getting the Toro 30" at the end of the week or on the weekend.

Rick13
04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Sorry I haven't been on Lawnsite for awhile...be busy working....but just a quick update on ExMark 30" Riding Aerator. If you can get one...it's a great machine!!! I have had mine almost a month and haven't had any problems. It is just a little bit bigger than Lawn Solutions Dual Hydro Walkbehind 24" Aerator. Both machines are great to have and each one has its own strengths.

The 30" Riding Aerator is great in your larger, open, areas and it's ok on slight hills. It can do almost everything you want it to do. The only problem it has is when you come to steep hills...then you would want the 24" walkbehind areator...which is very fast....but not as fast as the 30" Rider.

I think the 30" Riding Aerator is made to last a long time...it's got great quality...and I hope they come out with their hitch attachments soon. I am sure they will be pricey....but the ease and speed the 30" aerator has spreading and spraying will be a great triple threat machine....aerate, sprayer, and spreader.

Hope this helps people who are wondering if the ExMark is worth the money.

On the TimeCutter mower...I decided not to buy it after all the bad comments on Lawnsite. I ordered a commercial walk behind Toro with 6 hp Kawasaki engine...and that should be in the middle of April.

corey4671
07-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Know this is an old thread but I am seriously looking a this machine. talked to my dealer the other day and he can have one in less than two days. I've been running a Turfco Turnaer6 for two seasons and while it does a good job, it kicks my butt and is slow. I need something that is more productive in larger open areas PLUS I have two other guys who are subbing their aerations to me. I was looking at the LT Rich for the versatility of the attachments but the idea of adding a spreader and a sprayer to the Exmark is a game changer!

FdLLawnMan
07-29-2012, 07:21 PM
I have the Exmark aerator that I bought last spring. It is an awesome machine. Yes it is expensive, but it is a production machine. I ha aerated from 6000 Sq. Ft. to baseball & football fields with it. I tried the Classen aerator and this thing is far superior in every aspect. I also have a Turfco TurnAer 6 that I am going to sell. As far as the pressure gauge I just start at 300 psi and raise or lower the pressure to get the core depth I want. My son used it on his golf course on the tee boxes and said it did great. I highly recommend this aerator to anyone doing an appreciable amount of aerations.

Also, studies by Michigan State has shown that aeration has no effect on pre-emergent effectiveness.

grassmasterswilson
07-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Do you think we can get some good pics of the tines and drive chains?

I have the lawn solutions version. They sold out to exmark/toro and now I guess lawn solutions is out of business. Emailed all the exmark dealers in a 50 mile radius to see if they would service one and got one reply that they were totally different machines. Although they look the exact same. Just wondering what the difference is.

corey4671
07-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I have the Exmark aerator that I bought last spring. It is an awesome machine. Yes it is expensive, but it is a production machine. I ha aerated from 6000 Sq. Ft. to baseball & football fields with it. I tried the Classen aerator and this thing is far superior in every aspect. I also have a Turfco TurnAer 6 that I am going to sell. As far as the pressure gauge I just start at 300 psi and raise or lower the pressure to get the core depth I want. My son used it on his golf course on the tee boxes and said it did great. I highly recommend this aerator to anyone doing an appreciable amount of aerations.

Also, studies by Michigan State has shown that aeration has no effect on pre-emergent effectiveness.

only reason I would keep my Turfco would be the occasional 3 ft gate that I encounter.

Rick13
08-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Do you think we can get some good pics of the tines and drive chains?

I have the lawn solutions version. They sold out to exmark/toro and now I guess lawn solutions is out of business. Emailed all the exmark dealers in a 50 mile radius to see if they would service one and got one reply that they were totally different machines. Although they look the exact same. Just wondering what the difference is.

From what My Toro dealer told me, the machines are the same....other than color and stickers. Toro added a few different things...wheels, front hitch, but almost everything else is the same.

Thru My Toro Dealer locally, I ordered 5 replacement tines for the ExMark 30" Riding Aerator....and it took almost 2 months to receive them. I thought since Fall is getting close....and we've been getting some rain here in Northern Illinois....I should have a few new tines just in case something happens.

This Spring I would have to take a few off after aerating a yard because a rock would get jammed in the tine's hole. Plus I always clean the tines after each day...takes a bit...but it's nice to know that nothing wrong when going into a customer's yard the next day.

I will try to get some pictures of the tines and drive chains...will be busy cutting yards tomorrow...but like I said....it should be the same. And any Toro or ExMark dealer should be able to work on your machine...even though its a Lawn Solutions.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I also ordered the new Toro 30" TimeCutter...so I will try that out in my yard too....my son is almost 12 years old and he is going to start learning how to mow...so I can give him a few accounts by our house this summer...once he gets up to speed.

on a little different note---my dad, brother and I did the same thing- started 30 some odd years ago...keep up with it, your son and you will get to spend way more time together...best education i ever got!

Rick13
08-02-2012, 07:53 PM
on a little different note---my dad, brother and I did the same thing- started 30 some odd years ago...keep up with it, your son and you will get to spend way more time together...best education i ever got!

We skipped the Toro Time Cutter...to many complaints....we bought their commercial Toro 22" walk behind...aka: little tank...lol.

My son dreads when we start working...but as the day goes...he enjoys it and is learning a lot. So I think you're right...in the end...it will be the best for everyone! Thanks!

adam.neusbaum
08-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Maybe you should get into a Dunkin' Donuts first routine so he has something to look forward to other than just the first job. This worked for my nieces getting out of the house early enough before school, they were almost running to get ready. Works for me too! Otherwise by 33 works work, until you have an Exmark 30" aerator of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-06-2012, 11:49 PM
We usually do McDonald's in the a.m. When I say "dread"...he gets peer pressure from the neighbor kids (some that are older) don't do work with their Dad's, Mom's, or expected to do anything around their houses. His friends have their Mom's clean, cook, and do everything for them. Their Dad's don't expect their kids to do anything around the house....except play PS3, XBox, or on-line games with their computers/Ipads. Almost anything to keep their kids out of their parents hair.

My wife and I feel that we need to get the boys ready for life. Clean up after yourself, help out around the house, play with their friends outside, limit video games to 1 hour a day. I don't want lazy kids, that don't respect the hard work that my wife and I provide for our family. We want kids that can support themselves when they get older. So for most parents its easier to have the kids watch tv, play video games, or surf the net (instant babysitter) instead of spending time together teach them about life. Spending time explaining and talking to their kids, teaching them, and listening to what their kids have to say. And when you disagree...you talk about why and where you are coming from so that they can understand.

adam.neusbaum
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Can you attach a dethatcher unit on the front of the Esmark. Just thinking it would better than buying a power-rake? Then lawn Sweeper on back to finish?
Posted via Mobile Device

jfoxtrot9
08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Being that Exmark has delayed the 24" Dual Hydro and I can't wait any longer, I am springing for the rider. I will be ordering tomorrow! Pretty excited for this machine though. Probably will be happier that I will have the rider in the long run. Great financing incentive right now as well.

corey4671
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm pulling the trigger to! Talked to my dealer this afternoon. Picking up a Billy Goat seeder as well. Plus you can't beat the financing deals they've got right now through Sheffield. The Turfco units have been great, but I want to step up to something a tad more productive. The Turnaer and the LS 22 seeder have their place and I will likely hang on to them. Just need something a little faster and less operator fatigue.

adam.neusbaum
08-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Speaking of fatigue, my first service this morning was 1 acre. From maps.google it didn't really look like an acre when giving the price by phone. After making my first outline lap I was just dreaming that someone would pull up with an exmark demo unit or something. But no such luck, it was just me and my little XT5 along with a zip-tie to hold the drive handle forward. I tried to take as many corners off as I could to just leave cruise control on continuously. Two hours & two tanks of gas later & I was done. The following 3 jobs felt like a breeze after that whopper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
You guys will be glad that you bought the rider. The one thing to remember is not to take too sharp of a turn with your tines down. This is where other guys have be having problems with their belts breaking. Try to run straight lines and overlap your areas so you can lift up your tines while you turn around....and then re-engage your tines to start pulling new plugs.

Good luck with your new machine!!! Can't wait until Toro/ExMark comes out with their new attachments for the 30" Aerator....they have a hitch hookup in the front.

adam.neusbaum
08-07-2012, 10:40 PM
With the front hitch feature, would you use a front mounted dethatcher?
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
You guys will be glad that you bought the rider. The one thing to remember is not to take too sharp of a turn with your tines down. This is where other guys have be having problems with their belts breaking. Try to run straight lines and overlap your areas so you can lift up your tines while you turn around....and then re-engage your tines to start pulling new plugs.

Good luck with your new machine!!! Can't wait until Toro/ExMark comes out with their new attachments for the 30" Aerator....they have a hitch hookup in the front.

is the hitch just a standard 2" receiver type? I was thinking about that today. What keeps me from fabbing up a spreader or sprayer with a receiver hitch that runs off the battery?

Rick13
08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Yep, the hitch is a regular 2". I heard thru my ExMark/Toro Rep. that they were going to come out with a spreader & sprayer attachements. He thought sometime in Fall.

I have a dethatcher (TurfEx) for my ExMark mower w/bagging system. The ExMark Aerator really won't work for dethatching....but I guess you could make it maybe work....but the hydro pumps would be too small. And really no good way to hook up a sweeper for the rear either.

But spreading or spraying someone's yard would be great with the riding 30" aerator. The 30" aerator is fast, easy, and handles great!!! So I hope Toro/ExMark comes out with their attachments soon!!!

jfoxtrot9
08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I have a ride on spreader/sprayer, but I would be interested in the spreader for over seeding. That would be sweet.

What price is your dealer offering you Corey?

corey4671
08-08-2012, 01:01 AM
I got him down to 8500. was going to charge me 200 freight but he's looking around to try and eliminate that. This dealer has about 6 other stores so he's trying to work with them to get up an order and save on the freight. Sad thing is, when I went in two weeks ago, the salesman had never heard of it. This is more of a Case IH agricultural dealer that just started carrying Exmark. He just put me on the phone to talk with his district rep he was so clueless.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
08-08-2012, 01:03 AM
And I'm getting no payments no interest til April then 0% for 36
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
08-08-2012, 01:04 AM
And Rick I apologize for not seeing the earlier question in the thread can't the hitch. Thanks for answering it again
Posted via Mobile Device

jfoxtrot9
08-09-2012, 07:39 AM
I ordered my Exmark rider yesterday morning. I am pretty excited. Now I think I have a trailer size issue...:) Does it ever end?

A big thank you Corey!! My dealer was not that low, but when I told him about it, he went down to $8500. Good deal. Thanks my lawn bro'.

adam.neusbaum
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Im thinking of advertising as 2 separate businesses. ABC Aeration charges one price while DEF Aeration charges a higher price. Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi adam.neusbaum,

Having two companies. Would you have two books? Two different phone numbers? And what would the customer think if they found out you ran those two companies? Nothing good would come out of it...other than damaging your real business. I don't think that would be a good idea.

I was thinking of offering some type of special in the local paper....where the customer could get their yard core aerated and then spread a slow growth fertilizer....that I could buy in bulk from the local feed store. Have two services for the price of one. And then when their yard takes off from the aeration and fert. treatment....they will have you come back next year while telling their friends about the wonderful job you did for their yard.

I don't have to worry too much about my aeration prices in the Rockford, IL area....I'm a lot less than the big local companies.

adam.neusbaum
08-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm sure you are right about the headache that would come with two different companies. I gleaned much of my information from your awesome website so id better take this advice too.
With a flat-rate of $69 up-to 1/4 acre many callers want me to rehearse the aeration promo price & what it includes. This tells me they are thinking that my price is pretty low. My brainstorm reminds me of Namebrands vs Storebrands. Some folks want to pay a little more for Cool-Whip whereas others are happy with the less expensive storebrand. It would definitely be a worthy test-market to run the ads within the same column. My current 2 most asked questions are; "Is this a good time to aerate"? and "What about my sprinkler heads"? Whereas after running the two ads $89 & $69 they would be: Why are you more"? and "why are you less"?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Here's a few of your answers adam.neusbaum

1st thanks for the nice comment about my website! I have a few more ideas on changing a few more things this winter...so I can't wait!

With Sprinkler heads: You can charge more. I mark them with flags and explain to the customer that I usually stay 1 to 2 feet away from the heads to prevent breaking their sprinkler. I want someone at their house to show me their system works before I aerate and then turn it on again after I'm done. I also have a form that I ask for the basic information: Name, Address, Phone Number, email (future specials), etc. But my form states that I am not responsible to any damage from aerating their yard, just like they are not responsible to any damage their yard might do to my machine. No one can get anyone in trouble. I've never had a problem with them signing or anyone saying their sprinkler system isn't working now. I usually hear the customer tell me that their sprinkler system hasn't worked for a few years. This way, it protects me from the customer who it looking to make money off of me. Saying their system worked before I aerated and oh by the way, it's $600.00 to fix it. Nice trick!

Call your local national lawn companies and see what they are charging. You will always have a hard time competing against the guy who rents an aerator for the weekend and comes into a neighborhood charging next to nothing....but they are far and few. Aeration is hard work, unless you have one of the new aeration machines (like me :waving:)!!!

Good time to aerate: End of August till end of November or early December. For me, when it starts to get frost....then I'm ready to put it away until next Spring.

Most people don't know what aeration is, and what type of service they will be receiving. Explain it's the best and you're able to provide an excellent service because you have a low overhead while providing top notch service!

If you have a website...you can always advertise go to my website to print off My Super Customer Coupon for even a lower aeration price!!!

corey4671
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Got the word today that my aerator will be in MONDAY!

AS for the advice above, Rick you are spot on. I hadn't thought about lowlifes that might try to say you broke the system. I think I'll be printing me up a form as well this weekend. Even make it available on my website. Speaking of which, I made an aeration video last year that got me several jobs. Check it out. You can either go directly to my website www.theyardboy.net OR if you wanna see something REALLY cool, pick up your mobile phone and text the keyword THEYARDBOY to the number 90210. You'll receive a link to my digital business card with all my info on it including a short video.

corey4671
08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I ordered my Exmark rider yesterday morning. I am pretty excited. Now I think I have a trailer size issue...:) Does it ever end?

A big thank you Corey!! My dealer was not that low, but when I told him about it, he went down to $8500. Good deal. Thanks my lawn bro'.

Glad I could help:waving: Happy aerating!

Rick13
08-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Got the word today that my aerator will be in MONDAY!

AS for the advice above, Rick you are spot on. I hadn't thought about lowlifes that might try to say you broke the system. I think I'll be printing me up a form as well this weekend. Even make it available on my website. Speaking of which, I made an aeration video last year that got me several jobs. Check it out. You can either go directly to my website www.theyardboy.net OR if you wanna see something REALLY cool, pick up your mobile phone and text the keyword THEYARDBOY to the number 90210. You'll receive a link to my digital business card with all my info on it including a short video.

Hi Corey,

How did you do the digital business card? Is there any fees on your side, or is it based on your phone plan? What other fees are there? I think it's pretty cool...never seen or heard of a digital business card....very neat!!!

jfoxtrot9
08-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Got the call Friday that my machine was in. Been too busy to go get it! Will be picking it up today. The dealer has inquired about hiring me to aerate their lawn.:laugh:

corey4671
08-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Got the call Friday that my machine was in. Been too busy to go get it! Will be picking it up today. The dealer has inquired about hiring me to aerate their lawn.:laugh:

Same here. Mine came in Friday but just can't stop long enough to go get it. Hope to go Saturday morning to get it. Dealer has it sitting out front under the covered porch and says people are asking a lot of questions about it. This is a RURAL area and my exmark dealer is primarily a case ih dealer so a bunch of old farmers coming in scratching their heads at this contraption. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Here's a few pictures of the chains/drive system of the ExMark Riding Aerator 30".

adam.neusbaum
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the pics. Now I understand why Turfco features "exterior chains". Seems like all that dirt will cause premature wear.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
I've never really cleaned anything under neath the aerator except the tines....get the dirt out of them so the moisture won't rust the tines from dirt/plugs sitting in them.

It doesn't get really too dirty from pulling plugs. And I don't grease up the chains, since the grease will attract more dirt. There is a light film of grease from the factory on the chains....other wise I grease the grease zerts and keep up with general maintenance.

It's a great machine and once you get used to it....makes core aeration super easy!

Every time I aerate a yard.....everyone is really impressed with the job the machine does.

xtreem3d
08-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Have you gotten to a yard that you can't use it yet ?
Steve

clayslandscape
08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Nice unit. Is that a 2" receiver hitch tube on the front? What is the function? I'm also curious about the pressure gauge set up. I run a Classen Stand Aer and it has a level indicator to show tine depth. How would the pressure be able to give you a reading on plug depth?

How do you like your Classen Stand Aer? Is it easy to use? Does it operate well on hills? How much did you pay for yours?

clayslandscape
08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Just Got The Call Yesterday Afternoon, Your Machine is in...So I jumped in the truck and 15 minutes later I was looking at My 2012 ExMark 30" Riding Aerator!!!!

The pictures can't describe on how nice of a machine (looking wise) when I pulled up to the dealer! Has a great stance, and super easy to use! I just hope it will be easier to get parts and pulls great plugs!

It's been raining in Northern Illinois, so I just drove it through the yard and parked it in the garage. The ground is too wet with our record temps. and its been raining the last few days....but I hope to get it out in less than a week. I don't need a 1200 aerator making more of a mud mess in someone's yard.

So here's a few pictures and I will update Lawnsite once I get it in a few yards!

How many yards do you have lined up to aerate to justify the cost of this? I really REALLY want one! I have three other aerators and I am tired of it beating me to death!

xtreem3d
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
PS Can you get off and walk a steep hill ?
Steve

Rick13
08-22-2012, 10:35 PM
On a steep hill, yes you can walk behind it....but most of the times I will ride down something a little bit steep. If it's too steep....I have my walk behind aerator (RIP: Lawn Solutions dual hydro).

The LS dual hydro might be a collector's item....I'm not sure if they ever got 5dual hydro walk behinds made? But I got one by calling once a week to check how they we're coming along.

Aeration accounts can very....and since it's been so dry here... I am waiting for some rain before I place my ad in the paper.

For me to justify the cost.... it makes the job so much easier and quicker... I can do other work that I would normal be stuck aerating the old way.

As long as you don't live in Northern Illinois....it's a great machine. If you live up here....it's too much money and you don't want one....lol. Since I have one. :usflag:

clayslandscape
08-22-2012, 10:41 PM
On a steep hill, yes you can walk behind it....but most of the times I will ride down something a little bit steep. If it's too steep....I have my walk behind aerator (RIP: Lawn Solutions dual hydro).

The LS dual hydro might be a collector's item....I'm not sure if they ever got 5dual hydro walk behinds made? But I got one by calling once a week to check how they we're coming along.

Aeration accounts can very....and since it's been so dry here... I am waiting for some rain before I place my ad in the paper.

For me to justify the cost.... it makes the job so much easier and quicker... I can do other work that I would normal be stuck aerating the old way.

As long as you don't live in Northern Illinois....it's a great machine. If you live up here....it's too much money and you don't want one....lol. Since I have one. :usflag:

Haha. Have you done aeration in the past? If so how many do you do a season?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I did 40ish Spring to over 60 Fall. Some of the people are repeat customers for Spring and then they want their yard done in the Fall.

I've done aerating a few years...and thought it would be good to find a little niche in specializing in aeration. Too many mowers out there....hard to compete with all different prices. So I thought you can keep your mowing company....but hire me to aerate your yard. And so far...it's working fairly good. But like anything else...it takes a bit of time and word of mouth. So I am happy with my slow growing results.

clayslandscape
08-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I am going on my 3 rd year of complete lawn care and landscaping. I have done aerating for two years with a walk behind that beat me up. I currently have 15-25 lined up for fall but intend on this growing, does it seem like a good investment to you?
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
08-22-2012, 11:04 PM
I bought my first walk behind aerator in 2010. my calls for service have steadily gone up every year. If the calls for service for mowing are any indication, I should have more calls than ever for aeration this fall. Like Rick, I justified in the increased productivity. I hope to pick my unit up in the next few days. Can't wait to see how it compares!

Rick13
08-22-2012, 11:23 PM
For me, yes! Aeration in Northern Illinois has an open range. You've got the large national companies charging up to $120 to aerate small 1/4 acres (10,890 sq. ft). Me, I charge $55.00....pretty cheap but it usually only takes 25 mins....with the riding aerator.

You know the night and day difference when you push mow compared to riding your zero turn....it's the same with aeration.

The old drum walk behind aerators beat you up. They give you a workout, and as you are fighting with the machine....you think, "What am I doing this back breaking work for?".

Then they came out with the single hydro aerator...so much easier....but slow moving. You're no where as tired as the old style drum aerator...but it takes a long time to get the work done. So you start to think, "Am I making any money at this speed?".

Now they are starting to come out with the dual hydro aerators. Great machine!!!! Fast, quick, can fit through a 36" gate...at full speed...you are running! A great money making machine!!! The only problem....Lawn Solutions couldn't produce them like they promised. Now Toro/ExMark are supposed to come out with them in July 2012. They didn't make that date. Now they are looking for the Fall of 2012. This would be a great way to go if you didn't want to spend over $8000.00 for the rider. The dual should be around $4000.00 and you don't have to jump in with both feet like you would with the riding aerator.

The Riding Aerator....an aerating beast!!! The best, easiest, fastest, and you will make money....because now you can do a job for less (still make good money) and have time to take on more work....if you want it?

Last fall I made over $800.00 aerating on day. It was 5 large yards....but all I had to do was stand and drive the machine. Now it doesn't happen everyday....but it happened and could happen again this year. But it takes time to build your customers and get the word out.

clayslandscape
08-23-2012, 07:21 AM
For me, yes! Aeration in Northern Illinois has an open range. You've got the large national companies charging up to $120 to aerate small 1/4 acres (10,890 sq. ft). Me, I charge $55.00....pretty cheap but it usually only takes 25 mins....with the riding aerator.

You know the night and day difference when you push mow compared to riding your zero turn....it's the same with aeration.

The old drum walk behind aerators beat you up. They give you a workout, and as you are fighting with the machine....you think, "What am I doing this back breaking work for?".

Then they came out with the single hydro aerator...so much easier....but slow moving. You're no where as tired as the old style drum aerator...but it takes a long time to get the work done. So you start to think, "Am I making any money at this speed?".

Now they are starting to come out with the dual hydro aerators. Great machine!!!! Fast, quick, can fit through a 36" gate...at full speed...you are running! A great money making machine!!! The only problem....Lawn Solutions couldn't produce them like they promised. Now Toro/ExMark are supposed to come out with them in July 2012. They didn't make that date. Now they are looking for the Fall of 2012. This would be a great way to go if you didn't want to spend over $8000.00 for the rider. The dual should be around $4000.00 and you don't have to jump in with both feet like you would with the riding aerator.

The Riding Aerator....an aerating beast!!! The best, easiest, fastest, and you will make money....because now you can do a job for less (still make good money) and have time to take on more work....if you want it?

Last fall I made over $800.00 aerating on day. It was 5 large yards....but all I had to do was stand and drive the machine. Now it doesn't happen everyday....but it happened and could happen again this year. But it takes time to build your customers and get the word out.

Great explanation. I wonder how many years you could count on getting out of this machine if you keep it up putting avg of 20 hrs a year on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
As long as they make replacement parts....I think this will last a very long time. It is very well made....feels like a little tank....but handles great!

Since I'm a solo worker....I take care of my equipment, so I feel it will last a long time while making good money.... while extending the life of my equipment.

I get more than 20 hrs a season....usually 40 hrs a season...so far....but as the business increases....so will the hours.

My future is to buy another machine in a few years so I will have two riders, since we have 3 boys that will be able to help out down the road. The oldest is 12 yrs. old now and he is learning how to cut, trim, and edge our yard now. And he is doing a great job!

adam.neusbaum
08-23-2012, 01:33 PM
After a caller asked if I clean my tines after every job I've made this part of my routine & shortly plan to use this in upcoming ads. An ounce of prevention...
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
08-23-2012, 01:44 PM
probably stupid but for $8000 i have to ask because no dealer here knows.....can it aerate in reverse ?

My dealer did say that he understands that Exmark is backing away from the spreader and sprayer attachments because with it not being stainless steel they are worried about corrosion, which makes sense. He said he thought they may take off the 2" reciever altogether.
Steve

jfoxtrot9
08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
probably stupid but for $8000 i have to ask because no dealer here knows.....can it aerate in reverse ?

My dealer did say that he understands that Exmark is backing away from the spreader and sprayer attachments because with it not being stainless steel they are worried about corrosion, which makes sense. He said he thought they may take off the 2" reciever altogether.
Steve

All of the hydro drive aerators aerate in reverse. So yes, it does aerate in reverse. This is what makes the hydro drive aerators night and day from belt driven ones. With the walk behinds, no more lifting the tines. Just do circles or 3 point turn arounds with tines down. Also up down fairly steep hills using reverse makes them much easier.

The rider is the bomb! All I can say is wow. Big price tag, but aerating is not to be dreaded any more. It as easy as cutting grass now.

adam.neusbaum
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
My Turfco xt5 only pulls plugs going forward.
Posted via Mobile Device

jfoxtrot9
08-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow! I did not know that and what a shame! To me one of the MAJOR advantages of the hydro aerators is the reverse aerating ability. It is major in turning around, tight spots and hills. This is EXACTLY why I think they are better than your typical aerator. My walk behind is a 2009 Lawn Solutions.

Man, I hate to say this, but what a scam Turfco!! What is the real advantage in your aerator? After all the hoopla and arguing on this site about which was the better aerator between LS and Turfco and countless people go by a Turfco and it turns out that it isn't on par with even the older LS models!

If this statement is true, I can honostly give an opinion that the Toro/Exmark (formerly Lawn Solutions) aerators are superior to the Turfco for this very reason.

Rick13
08-23-2012, 07:19 PM
For me, I never aerate going backwards (just me). Now I will back up, get the rear standing plate almost touching house, wall, tree, etc....then once I'm back as far as I can go....step on the downward tine's pedal and go forward.

Can you go around a tree with the tines down? Yes and no. Yes, if you are going slow and it's a gradual large circle. If you turn too tight...your chains will start to click, adding stress and stretching the chains out making the hydro's jump a bit.

If it's a tight circle, I will work my way around it making an hexagon pattern. Getting as close to the object going straight, then back up and using my 30" aeration pattern as a boarder. Work my way around the tree seems like it would take a long time....but it doesn't.

I think this is where guys were breaking their belts by turning too tight with their tines in the ground. Something has to give, and usually the belts would break.

I always make a boarder along the outer part of the yard with two or three passes. Then I will start to make my mowing pattern, going back and forth. Lifting my tines once I hit my boarder area, then lifting the tines to turn around, get straight, then hit the pedal to drop my tines, aerating the other direction with a little over lap. Pretty much the same way I would cut most yards.

By going straight, you are not putting any stress on the machine or your tines.

I always will clean my tines after I get done aerating too. Takes five to seven minutes....but you will be surprised at how many rocks that get stuck in the tines.

On the front attachments, there are other companies that you can use to retrofit for the riding aerator. Just giving Toro a chance to see if and what they might make.

CHARLES CUE
08-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Now come on if the tines are in the ground why wouldn't it pull plugs when going backwards.

Charles Cue

corey4671
08-23-2012, 09:33 PM

ok, this will probably start a big pissing match but I'm going to say it for conversation sake because I think it's worth discussing. I actually quoted a lady with a 1/4 acre $120 today for aeration. Before it was all said and done, I had offered to drop it to $100 IF she got three of her neighbors to sign up and another $10 discount if they would join my mobile VIP club bringing the price down to $90. My question is this, if it is worth $90 to do the job with a pain in the rear end walk behind, is it worth less because I have invested the capital to purchase a more productive machine? That's kind of how I have looked at mowing in the past. If a lawn is worth $40 to be mowed, and I use a 21" WB and it takes me an hour to mow it is it worth LESS when I come in with my 60" zero turn and knock it out in 20 minutes? It's still worth $40 but I just increased my productivity by investing in better equipment. Does that makes sense? I just don't see selling yourself short just because you have a more productive unit. Not looking to pick a fight here, just a discussion.

xtreem3d
08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
i get what your saying...instead of having 3000 invested you now have 8000 invested..the customer shouldn't care how long it takes.( they agreed to the price right?)..but I know from experience they do...If your in and out in 20 minutes they feel cheated but they just don't understand the differences in cost of equipment

corey4671
08-24-2012, 12:06 AM
i get what your saying...instead of having 3000 invested you now have 8000 invested..the customer shouldn't care how long it takes.( they agreed to the price right?)..but I know from experience they do...If your in and out in 20 minutes they feel cheated but they just don't understand the differences in cost of equipment

OH I know. Years ago, I had this old man I mowed for. Still was running a lawn tractor. Was charging $25 every two weeks. (this was 15 years ago guys...) Bought my first zero turn and old dude had a fit because I got done so fast. Felt like I should only charge him $20. Argued with him for a little bit about it and finally gave in. Not now. Sorry, but it's worth what it's worth. I also have a "I ain't arguing with your dumbass I have better things to do with my time" policy. :hammerhead:

jfoxtrot9
08-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Now come on if the tines are in the ground why wouldn't it pull plugs when going backwards.

Charles Cue

Now that just makes sense.

jfoxtrot9
08-24-2012, 06:43 AM

None of my pricing will change this year with the new machine. I didn't change prices for previous and regular customers and my pricing structure is the same as last year. I seriously doubt that I will hear any complaints, but I guess I will find out!

adam.neusbaum
08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Just finished a SA turf aeration & I wasn't pleased with the results. All I could think about was how well the Stand-on would have performed. If it were March then I wouldn't hesitate on the purchase but we'll be going into dethatching in 30 days (I guess) & I need a power-rake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
For me, I tried to find a happy medium for prices and time. I want to make money, so I give a little to be cheaper then most....but then when you factor in "your time"....I am able to do twice as much while using very little energy.

But it all comes down to your bottom line.... what do you need to justify buying new or used equipment. Just because one guy can, maybe you can, or should wait a bit. If you have too many payments, what happens in winter when the aerator payment is due? Everyone has different expenses that can off set a low bid. But for me, one big thing I think is being seen....either on the web, your website, working a customer's yard, or past customer's telling their friends. The more they talk (hopefully good stuff) the more you will be able to get for your work.

That's a good way of negotiating with a customer, start at your normal price, and if they can get a friend or two that want their yards done too....you drop the price. Everyone makes out good! Nothing wrong with that.

adam.neusbaum
08-24-2012, 03:22 PM
My ads are $69 up-to 1/4 acre & of course once in a while ill get a caller saying that his & 2 neighbors lawns barely add up-to 1/4 acre. That doesn't happen often. I try to nicely stick to my rate & most of the time they call back to schedule. Otherwise you get "but you did my neighbors for such & such", not my kind of fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

turfcobob
08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It can pull cores in reverse but it is difficult with the tine design. That is true for all these hydro drive aerators using that tine design. As the tip of the tine wears off it will pull better cores in reverse but again the shape of the tine, the cutting leading edge and hole that the core must pass thru makes it difficult to pull a core. With that said it is still doing a really good job of aeration as it enters the ground and makes a rollling "X" movement under the ground. It is reaching depth and doing a pivot on the tip as it moves backwards. This fractures the ground and relieves compaction so you are doing well by the lawn / grass by operating the machine in reverse with the tines down.

I would venture to say that those who say they pull plugs in reverse are seeing cores from the forward movement falling out as very little soil is being pressed into the tines in reverse.

turfcobob
08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
:hammerhead:Wow! I did not know that and what a shame! To me one of the MAJOR advantages of the hydro aerators is the reverse aerating ability. It is major in turning around, tight spots and hills. This is EXACTLY why I think they are better than your typical aerator. My walk behind is a 2009 Lawn Solutions.

Man, I hate to say this, but what a scam Turfco!! What is the real advantage in your aerator? After all the hoopla and arguing on this site about which was the better aerator between LS and Turfco and countless people go by a Turfco and it turns out that it isn't on par with even the older LS models!

If this statement is true, I can honostly give an opinion that the Toro/Exmark (formerly Lawn Solutions) aerators are superior to the Turfco for this very reason.

Foxtrot, I would watch what you say. We are all using the exact same design of tine, entering the soil in exactly the same manner so be careful. and How much tine research have you done? I have been at it since the early 70s when I was with Ryan (who designed that tine) and many others.

RABBITMAN11
08-24-2012, 10:05 PM
:hammerhead:

Foxtrot, I would watch what you say. We are all using the exact same design of tine, entering the soil in exactly the same manner so be careful. and How much tine research have you done? I have been at it since the early 70s when I was with Ryan (who designed that tine) and many others.

The dual hydro is the Bomb. Other designs are ancient history!
The dual hydro runs circles around the other designs.
Take it easy BOBBY BOY!

jfoxtrot9
08-24-2012, 10:20 PM
:hammerhead::hammerhead:

:hammerhead:

Maybe you need to let the fella who said that his Turfco unit did not aerate in reverse needs to watch what he says. I merely stated and I quote "If this statement is true, I can honostly give an opinion that the Toro/Exmark (formerly Lawn Solutions) aerators are superior to the Turfco for this very reason." So who actually misspoke? Go, hammer another head.:hammerhead:

I am glad that you have years of tine research and I appreciate anything your years of experience may have added to the industry, and I really mean that, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the mans statement that his unit does not aerate in reverse, nor my comment that if it was true it was a lesser machine. I do not aerate in reverse as normal practice but in tight spaces and on certain hilly areas it can be a real advantage and I am thankful for the ability to do so.

jfoxtrot9
08-24-2012, 10:24 PM
The dual hydro is the Bomb. Other designs are ancient history!
The dual hydro runs circles around the other designs.
Take it easy BOBBY BOY!

The Dual Hydro is the machine that I have been trying to get my hands on for months! I still want one! I just recently bought the 30" rider and I can tell already it's going to be a great year.

Rick13
08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Yep jfoxtrot9...the only problem I have with My Lawn Solution walk behind dual hydro is it's GREEN! Most of my equipment and trailer are all BRIGHT RED!!!

Wonder if I should get some spray cans and paint it red? LOL!

Or if I paint it, I might be losing some of that Collector's Value on L.S. dual hydro....since I don't think there are many of them out there (maybe 5 total)???

jfoxtrot9
08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep jfoxtrot9...the only problem I have with My Lawn Solution walk behind dual hydro is it's GREEN! Most of my equipment and trailer are all BRIGHT RED!!!

Wonder if I should get some spray cans and paint it red? LOL!

Or if I paint it, I might be losing some of that Collector's Value on L.S. dual hydro....since I don't think there are many of them out there (maybe 5 total)???

You have to keep it green! I feel you on the color, the rest of my stuff is also red but I would not paint my LS 21", no way. It's a first of it's kind instant classic!

Early this year I actually found a Dual Hydro with 18 hours on Ebay. The only problem was it was like 16 hours away from me in Minnesota. The guy seemed wierd about shipping it to me even with my offer to pay shipping. (he wanted local pick up). I have tried to contact him since with no reply. Oh well.

Are there really like only 5 produced?

Rick13
08-25-2012, 04:42 PM
When I was calling Lawn Solution every week...I knew of seven units they were working on. Lawn Solutions would tell me that they were tweaking this and that to get the dual hydro just right! The last two of the seven units didn't have enough parts, so they weren't sure which one I was going to get. One through five....or number six or seven?

Well a week later, I had my dual aerator....so I think I got one through five.

Well going on three years later....Toro/ExMark have missed their 1st date on getting the dual hydro out there. I think they were going to have the dual hydro's ready for the masses in July 2012 for around $4,000.00 plus.

Well July is gone, and now the Fall is almost here.

David from Lawn Solutions call me three years ago....wanting to come by my house to borrow the dual hydro. He said there was some big lawn show near by and he was working for Toro.

Well long story short, Toro just bought Lawn Solutions out, so David was wearing a Red Toro Equipment shirt, but he had a trailer full off his/Toro's equipment. He had a L.S. Riding Aerator, L.S. 21" hydro aerator, and L.S. slit seeder....but no dual hydro aerator. So he called me up the day before the show, asking if he could borrow the machine since he didn't have one.

I said sure, it was the end of July I think....but it was a time where I didn't need it since it wasn't Fall.

So he came by, picked up the aerator and said "Thanks".

The next day he brought the machine back and told me out of all the equipment they had at the show...including Toro's products....the dual hydro walk behind aerator was the hottest machine there and he had over hundred different people wanting to buy it off of him/on the spot!

Now I know David might be hyping it up some....but I personal think if someone wanted to increase their aeration business...the dual hydro is the way to go!

It's very fast, almost half the money of the rider (so you don't have to risk as much money to see if your working area will support an expensive piece of equipment), a chance to increase your local visibility and maybe pick up new customers.

It's a great machine, but Toro must be having problems getting them out the door??? Not sure.

But I do know, I feel lucky, and it does a great job in the back yards when the rider won't fit.

And one more funny note, you know you'll spoiled when you dread using the dual hydro aerator...when there's a super, fast, fun, riding aerator on your trailer. Must be human life....if I can't use the rider now....I dread having to walk behind a machine....just to explain how wonderful the riding aerator is!

And if you live in Norther Illinois....don't buy a riding aerator....they are too expensive!!! LOL!

RABBITMAN11
08-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I believe I have the.first one! I also had the.first ride on too. Love both of them. I've had three different ride ons. One with a subaru, one with a 21 hp briggs, and now the kawasaki. My ride on also has a built in radio. So it the rarest. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
08-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Nice Rabbitman11!!! Then I might have #5 of dual hydro aerator's (R.I.P. Lawn Solution). :cool2:

ed2hess
08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
So help me out....I don't want to spend $9K for a stand on and I already have a terrible wb that I can't turn. We were headed towands a pull behind that might get thru a 36" gate. So what is the one you all are talking about and what is the price? We have some larger 11 acre yards that we do.

Rick13
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Wow, 11 acres!!! That would take forever with 36" aerator!

I would buy a nice Rainbird, BillyGoat, or some other tow behind aerator that would hook up to a tractor. You are looking at over $1500.00 but it would last you a very long time.

The $4000.00 plus aerator is the one that's My Post Picture (sitting on the sidewalk). It's a Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Walk behind (but you can hook up a sulkey-so you can ride standing up-if you want).

Lawn Solution got bought out by Toro/ExMark. They are coming out with the same machine that's My Picture....and Toro was going to have them in July 2012.

Well that date has come and gone. So now Toro might have them ready sometime this Fall....maybe????

The Dual Hydro is a great machine and it can do everything the rider can, for less money....just takes you longer since it's only 24" wide when it aerates...compared to 30" for the Riding Aerator.

You could almost buy two dual hydro aerators for the price of one riding aerator....that is if and when Toro starts selling the dual hydros.

Hope this helps a bit ed2hess. Best bet, call your local Toro or ExMark dealer and ask them when the dual hydro aerators are coming out....and you would like to demo one.

xtreem3d
08-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Guys,
Can this machine punch 4-5" plugs in the drought stricken soil? If so, do you now have a disclaimer that you are not resonsible for anything under ground?
Steve

RABBITMAN11
08-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Guys,
Can this machine punch 4-5" plugs in the drought stricken soil? If so, do you now have a disclaimer that you are not resonsible for anything under ground?
Steve

NO....Not when the ground is that hard!

xtreem3d
08-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks...so the advertised 1200lbs of down force is somewhat misleading?

Rick13
08-29-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure if its the weight of machine + rider/driver + 600 or 900 pounds per inch? I think that was Lawn Solutions formula??? Or the weight of the machine was around 1200 pounds???

I usually set my PSI at 450...and pull 3 to 4 inches.

And no, the rider won't punch cores that deep when it's this dry. In fact, if the ground is hard, the tines will lift the machine up in the air...where the rear tires don't touch....or has for me when standing still.

adam.neusbaum
08-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Quite a different story here in Florida, while aerating soaking wet lawns today this possible ad phrase hit me: "Pull the Plug on standing water" Anyone else care to perfect this?
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
09-02-2012, 06:25 PM
picked up my machine yesterday! ready to get it to work!

xtreem3d
09-02-2012, 06:41 PM
pics? observations?

Rick13
09-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Here's a nice aeration picture!!!

corey4671
09-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Posted via Mobile Device I've got one pic on my phone. Have to plug it into the computer to upload it. Made a couple of test passes at the dealer. I like what I see so far. I guess I have one concern in the amount of clearance the tines have when in transport.

Rick13
09-03-2012, 08:17 PM
The riding aerator goes up my ramp (4ft long) and I never bottom out the tines when loading into my trailer. It has a short wheel base. And my trailer does not have a dove tail either.

xtreem3d
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I am ready to buy one but really want more versatilty with it , kinda like the z-plugger with tank and hopper. I can buy a spyker hopper for the ride on aerator like the Z-spray's have but I cannot locate a price ...does anyone know what the 120lb hopper with controller costs?

corey4671
09-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm looking at the Jrco spreader for mine. Gave the machine it's first run today....niiiiice. did notice the front end wanted to pop up a little on a slight incline but other than that...I'm impressed
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
09-07-2012, 07:36 AM
The jrco looks nice too.. They both are alot priceier than i thoght they would be

Rick13
09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I'll be out aerating this weekend!!! We are getting rain right now, and had some rain on Wed (heavy rain) and again some this morning (Fri)...so I've got a ton of work to knock out this weekend!!!

Yeah, the riding aerator will slow down a bit if you have: Soft Yard, climbing a good size hill, or doing both at the same time. Otherwise....it runs great and I've never had my machine bogged down where it wanted to stop running....it slows down some...and then once it levels out....it's back up to speed like normal.

Rick13
09-07-2012, 06:00 PM
If you do end up buying a sprayer or spreader for your zero turn riding aerator....let me know which one you end up buying.

It's almost set up perfect for an attachment from a different company....if Toro/ExMark don't end up making one (sprayer or spreader).

pieperlc
09-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Any issue with the cores sticking to the tires of the stand on and making a mess through the lawn and across any drives, walks, and streets? Even if the dirt itself won't stick, the dew on the grass would make the tires wet and in turn cause the dirt to stick to the tires I would think. Any input from stand-on users? The walk behind units would do the same, but the tires are much narrower so less noticeable tracks.

xtreem3d
09-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Does anyone know what the LT Rich Z-plugger with spray tank and spreader costs brand new? (not used as on this site)

corey4671
09-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know what the LT Rich Z-plugger with spray tank and spreader costs brand new? (not used as on this site)

not sure about the sprayer, but I quoted one with the spreader and the slice seeder and it was $10,227.27 with freight....

adam.neusbaum
09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
One out of 5 calls for my $69 aeration up-to 1/4 acre ad ask if he & 2 neighbors can get a better deal since they are small & close together. There are so many sarcastic replies id love to use but don't. Generally they call again shortly thereafter to go ahead & schedule anyway. But just curious, how would you all reply? They get hung up on the (up-to 10,820 sq.ft.) part. "One Per Household" may need to be added.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah I know what you mean Adam.N. The customer is always trying to find any angle they can get to save a little bit of money.

Off the subject a bit, looking at a dump trailer from Beck's in MI...haven't got a price yet, but looking to see if the can extend the dump frame so I can mount an Ecolawn Spreader on the A-frame of the dump trailer. Figured I can buy the dump trailer now and next Spring get the Ecolawn Spreader. But here's my question: How did you get your shelf/plywood attached to your dump trailer? Is it bolted down somehow? I like your set up and figured you're the guy to ask!!! Thanks!

adam.neusbaum
09-11-2012, 07:40 PM
I just revised this an hour ago. Went from a narrow piece of angle iron to a wider one full of holes(metal section near the rope at Lowes for $11 each). Not real thick but its merely keeping the sheet in place & the 2x6 knee-brace is holding the weight. Will upload a pic by nights end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks Adam.N.!!! I can't wait to see it!

I might make a few braces when I get mine...or my buddy has an auto body shop with a great welder....so I know he could make something up too. But I like you're idea!!!

corey4671
09-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Gave the standon my first good run through this evening on my front yard. Needless to say, I have named it. The Rocket. sweeeet

Rick13
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I know everyone talks about how much it cost....and it's very expensive. But once you ride it, you walk off with a smile on your face!!! It is so nice!!!!

Glad you like your new machine, Corey!!! They are great!!!

corey4671
09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I know everyone talks about how much it cost....and it's very expensive. But once you ride it, you walk off with a smile on your face!!! It is so nice!!!!

Glad you like your new machine, Corey!!! They are great!!!

after two years of a walkbehind, yes...I LOVE it

xtreem3d
09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
i may have asked this before but is it comfortable to walk beside it on steeper hills?

Rick13
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
It's not bad to walk behind it. When I load it on my trailer I usually walk behind it going up the ramp. But when I unload the riding aerator, I always ride it down the ramp even though I am going backwards. Kinda strange now that I'm thing of it.

xtreem3d
09-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm sorry ..I maen if you have to go along a steep hill can you walk next to it on the downside of the hill? kinda like a walkbehind on steep hills

Rick13
09-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Not really. You might need a brick to keep the tines engaged. You need so type of pressure on the down pedal to keep the tines down into the ground. So if you are walking behind it, you will need to find something to keep pressure on the tine's pedal. Then I don't see why it wouldn't work....but if its too steep....I would pass on something that's that dangerous.

jfoxtrot9
09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry ..I maen if you have to go along a steep hill can you walk next to it on the downside of the hill? kinda like a walkbehind on steep hills

I had an opportunity on a fairly steep hill with it yesterday. I have been typically going with about 400 lbs of downpressure and pulling very good plugs. I have to drop it down to as low as 200 lbs when in an area with shallow roots so as not to tear up the grass. I found that going up a hill is ok until it gets too steep, I'd say greater than 30-35 degrees, then the chains would stast clicking and that is when I let up on the tines. Going down was no problem, even up to 40 degrees. I chose to go side to side with no problem as long as you reduce the downward tine pressure. At 4-5 hundred pounds of pressure the tines wanted to tear up the ground more and I felt a little like I was about to roll! But down to 2-3 hundred, it was a piece of cake.

I have aerated about 20 lawns so far with this thing. This thing is so awesome. I can't beleive how much I appreciate this machine. I think I am smiling the entire time that I am on it. A big purchase but you can take on so much more work and complete so much more in a day. This thing will pay for itself in no time. I have zero regrets about this purchase!

corey4671
09-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I had an opportunity on a fairly steep hill with it yesterday. I have been typically going with about 400 lbs of downpressure and pulling very good plugs. I have to drop it down to as low as 200 lbs when in an area with shallow roots so as not to tear up the grass. I found that going up a hill is ok until it gets too steep, I'd say greater than 30-35 degrees, then the chains would stast clicking and that is when I let up on the tines. Going down was no problem, even up to 40 degrees. I chose to go side to side with no problem as long as you reduce the downward tine pressure. At 4-5 hundred pounds of pressure the tines wanted to tear up the ground more and I felt a little like I was about to roll! But down to 2-3 hundred, it was a piece of cake.

I have aerated about 20 lawns so far with this thing. This thing is so awesome. I can't beleive how much I appreciate this machine. I think I am smiling the entire time that I am on it. A big purchase but you can take on so much more work and complete so much more in a day. This thing will pay for itself in no time. I have zero regrets about this purchase!

I echo those sentiments

bflower
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Just curious if anyone mounted a spreader to front yet and experiences, ease of removal ect. looking at the jrco vs the turfex ts300. think the turfex is going to get the nod

RABBITMAN11
09-14-2012, 08:06 PM
I aerated a 3 acre residental that was all hills and a large portion over 40 degree incline. There is no machine that can match the production or ability to aerate in those conditions. Plus is was raining. A beast for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

lush&green
09-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Rabbitman, what psi do you normally run at?

RABBITMAN11
09-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Rabbitman, what psi do you normally run at?
not sure the gauge isn't working.

jackedf150
09-21-2012, 12:44 PM
I run mine between 300 and 350. And i absolutely love this machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-21-2012, 05:22 PM
The nice thing about the riding aerator...is that the lower you set your psi to the tines....the engine has to work a lot less, which saves your gas!!! Every little bit helps.

Aerating fast on rider (doing more yards), using less hp = savings on gas makes higher profits!!!!

And bring on the rain!!!!!

xtreem3d
09-21-2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't go back through the whole thread but what are you guys paying for this? I have worked a deal for $7350.00 Mine is supposed to be delivered next Wed. The machine costs $8200.00. It is just across the river in IL so I won't pay sales tax and delivery will be about $150.00. Then the salesman asks if I do any Schools or Church's that are tax exempt . As it turns out I do a church so that allows me an aditional discount...FWIW
Steve

Rick13
09-21-2012, 10:04 PM
I think mine was right at 8 or under...give or take a few hundred...but I had sales tax included in that price.

I'm sure you will love it!!! I haven't heard hardly any owners complaining about their machines. And I'm sure you will have a winner too!!!

Good luck!

corey4671
09-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Wow..that's a bargain. With tax mine came to 9200. just in three days this week I've turned out 2300 in aeration jobs and people are still calling. Had a stop yesterday morning where six old men went in together and hired me. They were impressed at the quality of the plugs. They've already referred me to two others
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-21-2012, 11:13 PM
My ExMark dealer threw me in with someone buying a mower so I got a fleet discount price...so it was $750.00 off. But I do a lot of business with them...so it works both ways.

Yeah....I've got a ton of customers lined up....but we haven't had much/any rain/until today. So I'm hoping it keeps raining so I can knock them out quickly!!!

So keep raining!!!!

Cadzilla
09-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I would still like to see some good close ups of the plugs this deal pulls. On the ground. Not in your hand.

xtreem3d
09-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Just picked mine up. Alot better in person. Don't have a camera with me or I'd take pics. been raining for about 1 and half days. At 200lbs it pulls good plugs in the soft soil. What I am happiest about is that there is plenty of room around the frame to mount saddle tanks and pump and of course a spreader out front..hopefully a small boom or collapsable one too.
Steve

Rick13
09-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi xtreem3d!
If you do add a spreader and sprayer to your aerator machine, post some pictures. I would like to see how you did it.

What type of sprayer are you thinking of using on your riding aerator?

xtreem3d
09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
I am going to add the JRCO electric spreader with control box and cable accuated feed gate because the dealer will have it in a day..no one has a Spyker local and I am in a hurry.

As far as spray setup, I am going to use a boom, probably 2 or 3 nozzles. http://www.gemplers.com/product/126068/Fimco-ATV-Sprayer-12-volt-25-gallon-Three-section-Folding-Boom Fimco has some setups that I think I could fab to fit. I am also thinking about buying the tanks from Turfco and fabing from there.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/134464/FIMCO-ATV-Two-nozzle-80-Boom-Kit

Rick13
09-28-2012, 12:10 AM
xtreem3d...did you look at TurfEx? I have a few of there attachments for my zero turn....and they seem very well built. I have the flex hitch with the thatch, groom, N' sweep kit.

The flex hitch and dethatcher work great!!! Very heavy duty too.

But TurfEx has a boom and boom less sprayer and fertilizer spreader for zero turns. You might like them???

And once you get your new super spreading, spraying, aerating machine put together....post some pictures!!! I can't wait!!!

I knew that 2" hitch mount would come in handy on the riding aerator!!!

RABBITMAN11
09-28-2012, 06:35 AM
xtreem3d...did you look at TurfEx? I have a few of there attachments for my zero turn....and they seem very well built. I have the flex hitch with the thatch, groom, N' sweep kit.

But TurfEx has a boom and boom less sprayer and fertilizer spreader for zero turns. You might like them???

And once you get your new super spreading, spraying, aerating machine put together....post some pictures!!! I can't wait!!!

Man I wouldnt want to expose the metal to fertilizer. Aren't you afraid of the corrosion?
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
09-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Man I wouldnt want to expose the metal to fertilizer. Aren't you afraid of the corrosion?
Posted via Mobile Device

I am... but I knew buying that the only way I could jutify the cost is to add these attachments. I wasn't ready to go buy a z spray also. I think I will try spraying the front end with WD40 before any apps and clean it good afterwards...little more work but that's the way it is.
Steve

xtreem3d
09-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks Rick...I'll check them out,
Steve

xtreem3d
09-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Rick,
Maybe I am missing it...I can't locate them on their site
Steve

xtreem3d
09-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Just saw that LT rich has this out http://z-spray.com/jr36r.html looks alot like the Exmark aerator would outfitted

Rick13
09-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Here's TurfEx's link:

http://www.turfexproducts.com/

They might be pricey....but they have very good quality.

xtreem3d
09-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I meant I can't find the boom you spoke of. I am also considering ordering the boom,manifold,pump,nozzles and parts from LT rich.
Steve

Rick13
09-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Here's the boom. It's only 48"....but it has a cover to keep the spray out of the air....plus you can spray when it's windy too.

http://www.turfexproducts.com/tba-048-%E2%80%93-48%E2%80%B3-boom

adam.neusbaum
10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Well Rick now I can start my own thread "Your Machine is In" 'cause I took the plunge & am picking up my 30" Exmark this morning. Two things were stressing me out:1. Every time I pulled up to start on a large job I'd think how much easier the stand-on would make it. & 2. While trying to pull plugs from St. Augustine i'm thinking how my apology should go for only getting 1/4" plugs. One time I gave them a 50% discount. Shouldn't be an issue hereafter.
Posted via Mobile Device

jfoxtrot9
10-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Welcome to the club. You WILL be happy with your purchase.:waving:

Rick13
10-19-2012, 08:32 PM
You're be so glad that you did!!! Can't wait to hear how much you love aerating now!!!

I think this Fall I will try to set up a spreader/sprayer for my riding aerator. It might only be a 15 gallon sprayer....but it's a lot better than a backpack sprayer.

Or maybe Toro/ExMark might decide to make one???? Who knows????

xtreem3d
10-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I got the JRCO electric spreader for mine. It works great. I have it fabed from steel right now but when things slow down I will re-make the mount out of stainless. Am probably going to use Turfco dual tanks and some LT Rich parts for the sprayer. I am also playing with the idea of swapping the small rear wheels to bigger wheels and tires . If i do that requires cutting off the fenders to allow clearance.
Steve

Rick13
10-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Steve,

Can you post a picture or two of your setup with the spreader mounted to the riding aerator???

Thxs,

Rick

xtreem3d
10-20-2012, 01:00 AM
yes, i will tomorrow

adam.neusbaum
10-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I picked up my unit directly from the distribution center in Orlando Friday & only had 2 minutes yesterday to take it for a spin. I'm thinking there is something keeping the tines from pushing down into the ground. I thought I remembered someone suggesting there was a transport stopper that the dealer usually removes. I've looked as well as I can but don't know what to look for. Thanks for any insight.-

adam.neusbaum
10-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Found it in the owners manual- It seems things are always so busy that I'm getting to try out a new piece of equipment at the jobsite without any opportunity beforehand. The same day I picked up the Turfco I was uncrating it 45 minutes before my first job was scheduled, I'd at least like a half an hour in my own yard ya know. Ready, set go!

corey4671
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I picked up my unit directly from the distribution center in Orlando Friday & only had 2 minutes yesterday to take it for a spin. I'm thinking there is something keeping the tines from pushing down into the ground. I thought I remembered someone suggesting there was a transport stopper that the dealer usually removes. I've looked as well as I can but don't know what to look for. Thanks for any insight.-

Yes. There's a small bracket with one pin you have to pull out. My dealer had already pulled it on mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Ive got an acre to do on Wednesday and another acre to do on Thursday.

So how do you guys like your new riding aerators????

xtreem3d
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I guess i like it..i think if the walkbehind version had been out I would have bought it first..more versatile. It doesn't like going across steep hills. I know the manual says 15 degrees or so max but I tried it on something steep that you would have to walk and it wasn't easy. Part of what happened (that I may go under unit and grind or cut out ) is a gusset that happens to line up with a row of tines and because of a little play in the spacing, the tine will hit the gusset . Initially I thought it was a chain binding. I have my spreader mounted (will get pics rick) that works fine, still haven't worked out the sprayer . I don't like the small rear tires , there isn't alot of clearance going up steep curbs. I may re-work the fenders and try bigger tires...I am trying to find out the reason for the smaller tires in the first place but haven't gotten anywhere. Maybe it's a speed or gearing thing?? FWIW if you happen to want to remove the 2" reciever be aware that it is welded to a steel weight plate. There is no way you will hold it up by just reaching underneath..you will need 2 people or a floor jack. The reason i mention this is because when I mounted my spreader I had to remove and cut the "brush" bar that protects the muffler. The parking brake cable is mounted under the plate and mine bent when the plate dropped. ( I didn't know there was a weight plate attached)
I also don't think my pressure guage works correctly but it does aerate very nice..and deep !!! Mine drives very nice and smooth.
If I can figure a nice "trick" way, I hope to mount finger switches to the handle bars so that if I am walking a steep hill I can still get the tines to drop...I have been using a brick :dizzy:
Steve
PS It sounds like I'm down on the unit but not really..for most places it will be awesome. Just wanted to be honest about what i have experienced for prospective buyers

adam.neusbaum
10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
On my first use ever this morning I was at 400 psi when I ripped out a large patch of turf on my 3 pass. I figured SA would require it but I turned it down to 220 for a smooth 2" plug operation. Had to go back this evening with Compost to fill/fix, customer was really pleased I kept my word & got his neighbor to go with me also.
Even on a ztr I prefer to simply back-up & start a new track, by the time u get turned around & all its just as fast & no wheel spin.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
On my first use ever this morning I was at 400 psi when I ripped out a large patch of turf on my 3 pass. I figured SA would require it but I turned it down to 220 for a smooth 2" plug operation. Had to go back this evening with Compost to fill/fix, customer was really pleased I kept my word & got his neighbor to go with me also.
Even on a ztr I prefer to simply back-up & start a new track, by the time u get turned around & all its just as fast & no wheel spin.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have found that it does have a tendency to rip up big patches of crabgrass. And yes, it's best to do three point turns instead of true zero turns.
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
10-22-2012, 10:20 PM
I think I'd love to have the Tine Down Switch on the stationary handle or maybe i'll learn to like it as is. I can't comb my hair & brush my teeth in different directions. My thumbs could hold the directional handles while my index flips the switch. Probably doesn't help that i've never been on a standing unit before now.
Posted via Mobile Device

jfoxtrot9
10-23-2012, 08:54 PM
I am really happy with mine. I have now done 90 aerations with it and I think it is worth every penny that I paid for it. There is definately a learning curve. The more I use it and get used to it, the more I like it. I too at first was using too much pressure which was causing me to occasionally tear up turf. I now am usually between 200 and 300 psi and pull nice 2"-4" plugs depending on soil moisture. I have had several comments from many happy customers at the size of plugs that this thing pulls. Most are very surprised.

Here are a few more tips:

1.Don't try try and aerate bone dry lawns and just increase pressure. This will only cause the machine to lift itself and you up off the ground with all the weight on the tines. This pressure on that system is what will cause the pushing of hydro oil up through the resevoir cap. This is the suposed fluid leak issues that some may have heard about.The rear wheels need to be on the ground. This will prevent that issue.

2.For zero turns, I have grown to prefer to just lift the tines, do a zero turn and then engage again. I feel it is faster with less chance to tear turf and not put any pressure on the chain system. Which brings me to my second point. If you hear clicking, stop doing whatever your doing. I believe the problems anyone has had with the drive or tine chains has been due to they really think they can drive this thing any way they want with the tines down. That is just too much pressure on the chains.

3. Make adjustments early before the chains get too loose (this will only increase their chance of breaking once they get loose).They are going to stretch in the first 25-35 hours pretty significantly. I had to adjust the drive belt and all chains in this time frame. This machine ran even stronger once I made these adjustments.

4. #3 has really helped with hills. This will climb steep hills, but first reduce pressure and reduce speed. I will sometimes also feather the tine engagement up down a little if I feel the pressure on the chains is getting too high. Down is no problem at all and sideways is real nice as long as not too steep to throw off your center of gravity.I have learned to take hills pretty well. Alot of it is just getting comfortable on the machine on hills.

I was out all morning and into the afternoon moving leaves and mowing. I was feeling a little fatigued and went and did some aerating before heading home. It was a real break from the days earlier work! How many times has aerating lawns been the days easy work?!!!:laugh:

I have a soccer field that I just picked up scheduled for aeration and fertilizing friday. 2 1/4 acres. And looking forward to it!

Now I only wish I could do this all year.

adam.neusbaum
10-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Excellent advice:
Today with the tines up I heard the loud popping sound from the chain maybe. Was just turning but on an awkward angle.
Posted via Mobile Device

GW Andy
10-31-2012, 09:06 PM
I bought a Toro this fall. The machine is so nimble and maneuverable. I love it. I learned today that you can aerate shady thin grass. I lowered the pressure to about 180 psi and it didn't rip the grass.
I tightened the chains already, couldn't believe how much they stretched.
I asked the Exmark rep at the GIE and he told me that the Toro and the Exmark 30" ride on aerators are identical.
I was cruising on my last job of the day today and I broke the drive wheel hydro belt. I took a good look at everything under the machine.
1). The 2 hydro pulleys do not look like they are in the same plane. They look like they tip inward. The looks like it was ripped. I'm not sure if it just broke or if it was thrown and got mangled in the process. I bent the belt backwards and it looks like all the rubber nobs on the inside of the belt are cracking and delaminating from the back of the belt. I only have 17 hrs on the machine and I don't turn with the tines in the ground.
2). Does anyone know were the hydro release is? I couldn't find one and the dealer didn't know.

razor1
10-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, what do you get per acre anyway?

RABBITMAN11
10-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I bought a Toro this fall. The machine is so nimble and maneuverable. I love it. I learned today that you can aerate shady thin grass. I lowered the pressure to about 180 psi and it didn't rip the grass.
I tightened the chains already, couldn't believe how much they stretched.
I asked the Exmark rep at the GIE and he told me that the Toro and the Exmark 30" ride on aerators are identical.
I was cruising on my last job of the day today and I broke the drive wheel hydro belt. I took a good look at everything under the machine.
1). The 2 hydro pulleys do not look like they are in the same plane. They look like they tip inward. The looks like it was ripped. I'm not sure if it just broke or if it was thrown and got mangled in the process. I bent the belt backwards and it looks like all the rubber nobs on the inside of the belt are cracking and delaminating from the back of the belt. I only have 17 hrs on the machine and I don't turn with the tines in the ground.
2). Does anyone know were the hydro release is? I couldn't find one and the dealer didn't know.

Easiest way is to remove the drive chains. Take off master key.
I've changed the belts. you have to drop the trans down to change the belts.

adam.neusbaum
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I experienced tear-out twice in the last week & in both cases discovered a grub infestation. A quick google search on the DROID & we both learned that their pest control services were sloppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

GW Andy
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Easiest way is to remove the drive chains. Take off master key.
I've changed the belts. you have to drop the trans down to change the belts.

Thanks Rabbitman,

The dealer told me today that those levers on top of the hydros (they are made out of flat stock) are the hydro releases. But do to a design flaw they don't rotate far enough to release the hydro (they hit the pump before you can rotate them far enough). When I get the machine back from the dealer I'll look at them. Maybe I can shorten the levers so they rotate far enough.

adam.neusbaum
11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Its to bad that we shell out over $8k & we have to hold our breath over where the first problem is going to come from.
Posted via Mobile Device

RABBITMAN11
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks Rabbitman,

The dealer told me today that those levers on top of the hydros (they are made out of flat stock) are the hydro releases. But do to a design flaw they don't rotate far enough to release the hydro (they hit the pump before you can rotate them far enough). When I get the machine back from the dealer I'll look at them. Maybe I can shorten the levers so they rotate far enough.

Faster to just disconnect chains!

adam.neusbaum
11-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Its to bad that we shell out over $8k & we have to hold our breath over where the first problem is going to come from.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speaking of which: After topdressing today I thought it might be good to aerate just a few little troublespots. Ever have that inclination that the little "freebie" is going to make ya wish you'd just left the machine on the trailer? After a couple turns I lost all left hand drive as I noticed the pile of chain laying on the ground. Looks like the masterlink just fell out. Wasn't that a fun thing, having to push the left side straight while trying to get a >13 hour meter machine up the trailer ramp. Maybe we the end users are the Research & Development division? Maybe it was in the fine print at the time of purchase and I neglected to read it? Do companies feel so rushed to get something to production they fail to run many field-test?

adam.neusbaum
11-07-2012, 05:06 AM
I guess i like it..i think if the walkbehind version had been out I would have bought it first..more versatile. It doesn't like going across steep hills. I know the manual says 15 degrees or so max but I tried it on something steep that you would have to walk and it wasn't easy. Part of what happened (that I may go under unit and grind or cut out ) is a gusset that happens to line up with a row of tines and because of a little play in the spacing, the tine will hit the gusset .

So glad I went back & re-read this posting, cause I was wondering what was binding up under there. The chain tension is fine so I was stumped at the occasional popping sound. I'll look for the "gusset" to grind. Thanks!

adam.neusbaum
11-18-2012, 02:27 PM
The set-screws on the outside drive shaft bearing pillow-blocks loosened allowing the Right side facing drive chain to rub behind the wheelwell & the masterlink came apart. With a new one ($2) it was back together. Something to keep an eye on.
During my hour lunch-break today I aerated a small corner-lot but afterward was told their phone just went out. Was only at 300 psi too. I suggested it must not have been buried to code, apologized & just made it back to the office 1 minute over. I hate rushing thru a job.
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I'll have to check mine..thanks...my first issue with binding was defintely the gusset getting rubbed....BTW can you even get your guage up to 1200 ?..mine seems to top out at about 400 but i can feel a definte drag the more i turn up the pressure, maybe the guage isn't working
Steve

adam.neusbaum
11-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I can't say I've had an opportunity to try. The St. Augustine grass is way too risky to go over 350, any time I try I regret it with chunks of turf coming out.
I'm really surprised at all the tight places I can maneuver into. I feared not being able to get a nice close job done. It's tempting to sell the Turfco XT5 altogether. The opportunity to back into places & hang over the edge makes a huge difference. I always had to contend with the handlebars on the xt5. Is it a huge deal, probably not, but I have had customers thank me for doing such a thorough job.

adam.neusbaum
11-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I just visited MIBAR's site & now I'm asking: What else do you all use this machine for other than aerating? I'm in Florida, so no snow here. I would have loved the Spreader unit last week after spreading 150#'s of winter-rye over a driving range with el-cheapo spreaders. I'd love to offer more of this service to residential but most of them have thick Zoysia turf, not sure how well that would go.

xtreem3d
11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I already have a spreader mounted and plan on spray tanks with a boom and hose reel. I am also going to try and fab a power rake to slide into the reciever and lift with a cylinder. I use the power rake after aerating for a seed bed so driving around would be alot better than pushing it. I think it might work well as a walk plow also.
Steve

Rick13
11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Steve,
You've never posted your pictures of your set up. Are you going too?????

xtreem3d
11-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes..I'm sorry i completely forgot..Just made myself a note,
Steve

corey4671
11-18-2012, 10:08 PM
The set-screws on the outside drive shaft bearing pillow-blocks loosened allowing the Right side facing drive chain to rub behind the wheelwell & the masterlink came apart. With a new one ($2) it was back together. Something to keep an eye on.
During my hour lunch-break today I aerated a small corner-lot but afterward was told their phone just went out. Was only at 300 psi too. I suggested it must not have been buried to code, apologized & just made it back to the office 1 minute over. I hate rushing thru a job.
Posted via Mobile Device

I had a customer call me last month and tell me their internet went out right after I left. Said Charter came out and the cable was "shredded" and that the customer would be responsible. I told them no way, had to have been buried too shallow. Sure enough, Charter backed down and admitted it was't buried deep enough.

I'm working on mounting up a Lesco Truckster that I bought off of Ebay. Brand new still in the box for $325 shipped!

adam.neusbaum
12-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm hoping to have a dethatcher unit converted to the 2" receiver front mount for the sole purpose of raking pine-straw needles. I think it will make quick work. Not looking to get all them up but would like to speedily pile them to pitch-fork into dumptruck.
Secondarily what's the best search keywords when shopping for the front-mount broadcast spreader? I ebayed Lesco Truckster but nodda.
Rick, I'm thinking of offering a Milorganite type spreader service instead of just the compost topdressing. As you know the topdressing is labor/equipment intense so I'd like to offer something outta the bag for a change. Thoughts?

xtreem3d
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm hoping to have a dethatcher unit converted to the 2" receiver front mount for the sole purpose of raking pine-straw needles. I think it will make quick work. Not looking to get all them up but would like to speedily pile them to pitch-fork into dumptruck.
Secondarily what's the best search keywords when shopping for the front-mount broadcast spreader? I ebayed Lesco Truckster but nodda.
Rick, I'm thinking of offering a Milorganite type spreader service instead of just the compost topdressing. As you know the topdressing is labor/equipment intense so I'd like to offer something outta the bag for a change. Thoughts?

Spyker or JRCO..spyker is what is on the Z sprays..I have the JRCO ..works great

corey4671
12-10-2012, 03:44 PM

I think I just lucked out on the lesco
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
12-30-2012, 10:57 AM
How about a spreader like this one here on ebay?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SnowEX-Wireless-Tailgate-Spreader-/120958318786?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c29ad78c2&vxp=mtr

dillonvincent
01-25-2013, 10:17 AM
I was thinking of getting a Toro 21" and the 30" Rider... is there much of hydrostatic whine when you operate those machines? How easy is it to replace the tine when they break or bend?

Rick13
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM
The tines on the 30" Rider is easy to change. Just remove two bolts on the kick plate (its above where you stand). Then rotate the tines to the one that's broken, unloosen it, and re-tighten the bolt/nut, and you're good to go.

the "whine" from the hydro only happens when the tines are going too deep into the ground and you're turning at the same time. Or when you are going too deep into the ground, and its tearing up chunks of grass.

Otherwise, once you re-tighten the belts, it will run and drive better after a 5 to 10 hour break in period.

Anyone have any pictures of putting a spreader on the front of their riding aerator yet????

corey4671
01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
The tines on the 30" Rider is easy to change. Just remove two bolts on the kick plate (its above where you stand). Then rotate the tines to the one that's broken, unloosen it, and re-tighten the bolt/nut, and you're good to go.

the "whine" from the hydro only happens when the tines are going too deep into the ground and you're turning at the same time. Or when you are going too deep into the ground, and its tearing up chunks of grass.

Otherwise, once you re-tighten the belts, it will run and drive better after a 5 to 10 hour break in period.

Anyone have any pictures of putting a spreader on the front of their riding aerator yet????

I have it SOMEWHAT mounted. Been screwing around all winter...as usual...and don't have it done yet.

corey4671
02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
FINALLY got done.

Rick13
02-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks Corey! It looks great!

How do you like it? Do you have a shield that can drop down when spreading along the sidewalk?

You might be able to sell your idea....since Toro hasn't came out with anything yet!?!?!?

xtreem3d
02-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Corey's pics reminded me i promised to put up pics of mine also. Here is the prototype made from scrap steel i had until I have time to re do it in stainless. One pic shows a vertical bar that is for supporting the hopper from bouncing when it full. (The original prototype mount folded like a cheap tent). A couple pics of the JRCO controller and gate cable. Another pic shows a piece of stainless above the muffler to keep the heat off the plastic

corey4671
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks Corey! It looks great!

How do you like it? Do you have a shield that can drop down when spreading along the sidewalk?

You might be able to sell your idea....since Toro hasn't came out with anything yet!?!?!?

I need to get a shield if nothing else to keep material off the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
02-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Also worth noting that I found an outlet under the dash that my quick connect plugged right into. Didn't have to splice into the wiring. It's a pigtail right above the battery and it's behind the key so no worries of leaving the spreader on and running the battery down
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
02-10-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm also scouring craigslist looking for one of those cargo carriers that fit in a receiver hitch to put a 15 or 25 gallon sprayer on
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
03-13-2013, 04:28 PM
BRAINSTORM! Anyone else in the southern states consider an annual aeration contract? Way to many of our customers only think about aeration in the Spring & possibly in the fall whereas I could see the benefits of a bi-monthly schedule. Nevermind my actual rates but lets just say that I could offer a 28% discount if they prepay for the annual service which includes four (4) aerations. March, May, July & September. Anyone else try this? Now for my numbers (which most of you won't like) Currently $69 for the average lawn up-to 1/4 & 85% of them are an 1/8 acre. $199 gets them 4 times. The exposure would be huge!

corey4671
03-13-2013, 09:41 PM
how about this?

http://www.fabworksoem.net/fmztma.htm#03COMB

adam.neusbaum
03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Got a call 2 hours after aerating that invisible dog fence(that I wasn't warned about) isn't working now. Advice please.
Posted via Mobile Device

jfoxtrot9
03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
I always ask every customer about sprinkler systems and invisible fences. Although I offer the use of my flags,I always allow the customer to place if they are able. This puts that responsibility on them in case of a mishap. We do have a responsibility to consider these things being we are the professional that does this everyday and we know what damage can be done to these systems. That being said, a homeowner should most certainly recognize what service they are having done and one would think they would consider something like aerating would damage their invisible fence if it were to hit it which is almost certain. I would be very polite and tactful in suggesting that this is something they should of let you know about. I guess they could be understanding in this or not so much. I have made the same mistake before in the past but had understanding customers. Hopefully you do too. Maybe they get a free aeration and you learn a valuable lesson. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
03-25-2013, 09:06 PM
On My Website I have a pdf. file that's called "Customer Service Agreement". In this form, I have a few questions that every customer needs to answer. This way, I know what's in their yard....ex: in-ground sprinklers, dog fences, etc.

I've seen where people might have a bad in-ground dog fence, want you to aerate....and then say that you messed up their system in the end.

If In-ground Dog Fence Company was to come out....I think it's around $65.00to fix the line. This happens a lot. They have a meter device that will beep as they walk the boarder, when they get to the broken area it will let them know this where the line is broken.

But the customer should have said something before. Otherwise, it's a good lesson learned....and I would take a look at my website http://www.bestrockfordyards.com/#!contact/c1ttv It's on the right side of the page.

This way you can take a look and get an idea....or make up your own. Good luck!!! And learn from this mistake.

Oh yeah....you will have to get the dog fence fixed....or see if you can give them some free services.

Rick13
03-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Well at least you're aerating Adam....up here in Northern Illinois....it's still snowing!!! We have 6 to 8 inches, still!!!!! :dizzy:

So learn from this mistake, and move on. Write up a Service Agreement and it will protect you and the customer in the long run.

Good luck!!!

RigglePLC
03-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Have a portable radio? Hold it near the ground--and with luck you shold be able to hear the static coming from the wire. Find the break and twist it together...adding a bit of new wire as needed.
Or just put the collar around your neck and when you hear the buzz...that part is working...don't get any closer.
http://www.omninerd.com/comments/22508

adam.neusbaum
03-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks to all for the excellent responses. This is my second aeration for this homeowner within 8 months & that's why I asked him if he had the fence in last year & he said they've had it for 3-4 years. He suggested it may have been because of the new Exmark stand-on which I didn't have last year. I'm definitely happy to help try and address this but I'm afraid that if there's one break there will be 100 breaks given the way I double & triple pass St.Augustine.
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
03-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Quick question, I often depress the tines when backing up to loosen the soil up more if its heavily compacted. Any problem from doing this other than an ocassional tear-out? Secondly, I tap, tap, tap when aerating a circle to take the pressure off the tines, seems ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Backing up no problem.

Going in a medium circle it fine...but I will make sure I'm at 200 to 150 psi when I'm aerating....so the chains won't creak when making a turn with the tines down.

You don't need monster plugs...only 2 to 3 inches to break the thatch, loosen the ground, and the customer's don't want huge "cores" all over their yards that don't break down as quickly as smaller core plugs. Because when they cut their yard....their lawn mower and shoes will get caked with mud.

I usually tell the owner to wait a week to two....and hopefully it will rain to help shrink/breakdown the plugs.

I've thought of buying a drag mat to break up the plugs that I would tow behind the riding aerator....but that's it....I've only thought about it. The customer would like it, but I will have another thing to clean....so I don't think I will get one.

adam.neusbaum
03-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Last night was a great evening to aerate a local driving range's Tee-box. Just look at all the plugs I was getting 'cause they irrigated 2 hours beforehand. Full speed was great!

Blade Runners
03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Looks good. How many passes is that?

adam.neusbaum
03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Single pass at 7 mph & depth to the second knuckle. I used to do it with the XT5.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blade Runners
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Sweet, I don't even think I mow that fast:laugh:

I am strongly considering getting one of those or the dual hydro unit they are supposed to be releasing. The dual hydro looks like it will be pretty versatile yet still be productive.

adam.neusbaum
05-02-2013, 01:05 PM
After servicing new customers this spring I'm just now calling on last years to schedule aeration. One client said he wasn't very pleased with the depth results of last years plugs pulled. (One of my first, lawn was very dry & was using the XT5) Believe it or not, I was actually knodding & smiling as he described it & replied that that's precisely why I went and made a further investment for a better machine. After describing the benefits of the Exmark Stand-on unit he said "ok, I'll give it another chance". With all the rain we've been getting here lately we should be able to do a great job. Makes you feel even better having just purchased a second 30" machine.

Rick13
05-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I would like it if Toro or ExMark would make a 60 inch riding aerator!!!!

They could use a 24 hp Kawasaki engine, extend the core aerator arm into two 30" tines....that would work just like the current 30" riding aerator.

If you are listening Toro.....I would buy one right now....I've got some huge yards that are open.....and a 60 inch riding aerator would be amazing!!!!

I think I will try to call someone at Toro/ExMark and see if that would be something they could do????

Exmark PR
05-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the feedback. We have shared it with our product development team for future consideration

adam.neusbaum
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Exmark, this is a great way to communicate with us end users. Wanted to mention that the wide jackshaft that drives the wheels/tines seems to come with loose set-screws. Last November my first machine started popping it was because that shaft worked its way to one side which pressed the sprocket into the wheel well wall & was binding up. Most recently my second 30" stand on started doing the same thing. We loosened all 4 screws completely then tapped the shaft to center & tightened them down.
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
05-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Exmark, this is a great way to communicate with us end users. Wanted to mention that the wide jackshaft that drives the wheels/tines seems to come with loose set-screws. Last November my first machine started popping it was because that shaft worked its way to one side which pressed the sprocket into the wheel well wall & was binding up. Most recently my second 30" stand on started doing the same thing. We loosened all 4 screws completely then tapped the shaft to center & tightened them down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mine had the same issue when new

adam.neusbaum
05-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Actually dealing with this again today. The shaft could have been a little longer. Its flush on one side & in by 1/4" on the other so that the set screw wont even touch the shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exmark PR
05-07-2013, 01:39 PM
We are aware of this issue and it has been addressed for 2013 models. We are assuming you have a 2012 model. Please contact Exmark Customer Service at 1-800-667-5296 and they can help you with the issue.

adam.neusbaum
05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
We are aware of this issue and it has been addressed for 2013 models. We are assuming you have a 2012 model. Please contact Exmark Customer Service at 1-800-667-5296 and they can help you with the issue.

Thanks & for everyone else: I called & they recommended Locktite on the set-screws after centering shaft.

Rick13
05-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I have a recall that I got last winter for the ExMark 30" riding aerator. I thought it was something to do with the shaft? I need to take it in....once Spring is over and Summer is here. Besides....the ExMark is running great....so I can't afford to have a few days down in Spring.....Summer....well that's a different story!!!!

Then get ready for Fall Core Aeration!!!!

adam.neusbaum
08-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Would anyone else like to have the plugs split or fragment as it drops? If they were 100% soil and no root matter then we could probably just attach an arrowhead opposite the spoon opening & as it dropped it might break up well. Thoughts besides raking? Last week I put the hitch of a 50" Agri-fab lawn sweeper around my Exmark 30"'s standing platform & dropped a screwdriver thru to hold. As long as I was going fast enough it seemed to break up the zoysia plugs pretty well. I'd rather have a 12volt spinning brush tucked up & underneath the platform instead 'cause there's no backing up that dumb sweeper. Thoughts?

Rick13
08-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Adam, why not use a drag mat? This way you will break up the plugs and when the mat gets muddy....it would be easy to clean. I think a drag mat would work very well with your aerator.

Here's a nice one at Amazon.com. The have different sizes...but I think a 3 ft wide by 5 ft long would work amazing!!! And it's only $125.39 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Nelco-All-Steel-Drag-Mat/dp/B004HC5O5I

adam.neusbaum
06-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Can anyone remember the thread where a guy put smaller drive tires on our machine? I know I just glazed over the thread but now that I'm needing to squeeze into smaller areas I'd also like to streamline the unit.
Thanks- Adam

stevesmowing
08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Adam, why not use a drag mat? This way you will break up the plugs and when the mat gets muddy....it would be easy to clean. I think a drag mat would work very well with your aerator.

Here's a nice one at Amazon.com. The have different sizes...but I think a 3 ft wide by 5 ft long would work amazing!!! And it's only $125.39 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Nelco-All-Steel-Drag-Mat/dp/B004HC5O5I

Anyone try this yet? I am thinking about bitting the bullet and getting the ex mark 30" stand on. I wonder if the drag mat could be an extra add on if the customer. Charge them an extra $20 to pull the drag matt behind the machine. Only down side I see is trying to back up. Maybe put it on after making 3 passes around everything first?

Efficiency
08-30-2014, 04:36 PM
should be doing ~1400 aerations this fall. no better way then these.

FdLLawnMan
09-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Efficiency, how do you get people to buy into that many aerations? I give discounts, send out promotional material and still find it a hard sell. Three of those is awesome.

RodneyK
09-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Drag mat works most of the time. If grass is super thick and taller it won't. The cores will stay on top of the thick grass and won't break down. Have not tried to weight down mat, that might help on thick lawns.

If lawn is thin and needs to be over seeded we aerate three passes, put down seed and drag may it in. By time we are done cores are busted up and seed has excellent soil contact.