PDA

View Full Version : weekly mowing

yardguy28
03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
how many guys will do more than weekly mowings in the spring growth?

I ask because what was gonna be a new client may have just replaced me because out of all my accounts he is wanting every 4 days to start off. but yet doesn't want to pay more for the fuel it would cost me as an inconvenience in my daily routes.

I can't be driving to his property every 4 days. I'm on a diff side of town each day. his side on thurs. which is the day I gave him.

he is the only one wanting every 4 day or I could accommodate this request if I had others.

Ridin' Green
03-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Depending on how far it is to get there and how much the yard pays for its size, I'd probably do it. Making some extra money is better than not. You may not make as much as if it were on your normal route since you do have extra fuel to get there involved, but is the cost of the fuel enough to not make it worth while at all? Only you can decide that one.

Besides, this will only be for the early spring rush right? Seems like it may be worth it.

weeze
03-24-2012, 04:54 PM
every 4 days? that's kindof overkill to me. that's like just enough to mess everything up with your schedule. i would try to work something out like cut it mon then fri then the next week cut it wed and then the following week go back to mon and fri....something like that.

grandview (2006)
03-24-2012, 05:04 PM
I'll cut it everyday as long as they pay for it.

Mxrider52
03-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Well it appears if you cannot accomadate their request than you may already not be charging them enough to travel the distance. If a customer requested me to mow more often than I would be all for it. Are they really that many miles away that you can make the trip? How many miles are we talking? 15 or more? If you feel you cannot meet the needs of the customer than why not tell him the situation and explain how it would not be cost effective for you to travel the extra miles on an every 4 day schedule and explain to him if he wants the yard every 4 days than it would be this much more to travel x amount of miles.

If the yard is on your route during the normal times and after the early growth you will be going back to weekly I assume, how much money could you be losing? If it is on your route, and you travel maybe a few miles from the last house to his house you should be making more money there than if you traveled only to his house, so mowing every 4 days for a couple of weeks should even itself out in the mileage difference where you would still be making money or better yet let the customer find someone else and you earn nothing.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: wowowow :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Some of this stuff is just plain crazy:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

every four days....sounds like it might be a postage stamp. I have contemplated coming down on my regular scheduled maintenance price when someone wants it weekly but I musta been stoopid that day cause I know I dont like doing the same amount of work over and over for less.

The only reason you should be mad if they want you to do it every four days is if you didnt bid it high enough. Seems like they dont mind paying.

grandview (2006)
03-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Is this the first time they are hiring someone to cut it? If so, it might just be that they did that way themselves.

goodgreen
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Always try to leave room in your schedule for adjustments like this. Like someone else said, spring can bring usual circumstances...but it always smooths out once the season gets started. I pick up a lot of clients from other companies who tell customers they just don't have time.

sjessen
03-24-2012, 09:25 PM
If yardguy has a full schedule the extra travel time may well cost more than what he gets to cut it. If the lawn is, say, 15 minutes out of the way he is looking at 30 minutes lost mowing time. With no more information than we were given I'd be tempted to pass - unless it was a large property.

CS-LAWNSERVICE
03-25-2012, 08:20 AM
but yet doesn't want to pay more for the fuel it would cost me as an inconvenience in my daily routes.

Seems like the customer does not wish to pay any more for the service then what was stated in his monthly contract

yardguy28
03-25-2012, 08:59 AM
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: wowowow :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Some of this stuff is just plain crazy:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

every four days....sounds like it might be a postage stamp. I have contemplated coming down on my regular scheduled maintenance price when someone wants it weekly but I musta been stoopid that day cause I know I dont like doing the same amount of work over and over for less.

The only reason you should be mad if they want you to do it every four days is if you didnt bid it high enough. Seems like they dont mind paying.

you missed the part where I said he didn't want to pay any extra.

the property was priced properly for weekly mowings scheduled on the day I am in that area to begin with.

an every 4 day schedule could turn the trip to his property from 5 min to 15 min or from 5 min to 30 min depending on the day I would need to service his property.

keeping with a weekly schedule the trip to his property will always be 5 min.

Is this the first time they are hiring someone to cut it? If so, it might just be that they did that way themselves.

this might have been how the previous person ran there business.

If yardguy has a full schedule the extra travel time may well cost more than what he gets to cut it. If the lawn is, say, 15 minutes out of the way he is looking at 30 minutes lost mowing time. With no more information than we were given I'd be tempted to pass - unless it was a large property.

yep part of the problem. my schedule is pretty full as it is.

it's not like I'm not busy and can afford to break my route just for this one client.

Seems like the customer does not wish to pay any more for the service then what was stated in his monthly contract

you hit a nail on its head.

if you make a weekly route you loose money when you have to stray from that route.

i guess you could price all your properties higher to account for a client wanting every 4 day service. but I personally don't.

when figuring price, location and where they fit into my route is part of that equation.

if your on the east side and I'm on the east side on mondays that's where you will be put in my schedule. I'm not gonna drive from the south side to service you without charging more.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I will be the last person here to tell you how to operate your business but I can tell you that I have kicked customers to the curb for less BS. Everybody thinks that their your only customer and its ok to treat them that way as long as good common sense is used by both the customer and the LCO.

By standard, I am not the cheapest bid in town, I am the bid that will get ya home. That seems to work for me and most of the time it works out better than I plan. With that in mind I can do a little extra, but not kill my day for anyone customer.

In hindsight, I would be thouroughly pissed to have to go 15 miles in the opposite direction as all my work every 4 days for, per say, my minimum. 43 bucks. My greedy side would be kicking my butt for dropping those 8 mows a month but I think I would kick him to the curb till he gets right with the rest of the world.

Only you can answer this question and its the same question I ask myself when haglling with dropping a customer or just plain out dealing with their crap.

Am I better off with this guy or am I better off without this guy?
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 06:03 PM
What I meant was, was he cutting his own lawn and now wants to hire someone to do it? If you really want to do this tell him his price 1.5 times more per cut till it goes to once a week ,or just drop him.

yardguy28
03-25-2012, 06:44 PM
What I meant was, was he cutting his own lawn and now wants to hire someone to do it? If you really want to do this tell him his price 1.5 times more per cut till it goes to once a week ,or just drop him.

no he wasn't doing it himself. he had someone else last season.

that person went out of business or that's what they told me anyway.

it's not really about what I want. he won't pay more so it's more in his hands.

weeze
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
one rule i go by. never change anything up just to please one customer. i've had one customer ask for bagging so do you think i'm gonna go buy a $3000 bagger for my mower to please that one person? no way. they don't even pay me that much money mowing their yard all season. anyways i just mowed it without bagging like everyone else and they were very happy with the end result so now it's not even an issue. most of the time the customers don't know what's best. you just have to help them to see that. if they can't work with you then how do they expect you to work with them on things?

yardguy28
03-25-2012, 09:14 PM
well this guy isn't working with me at all but I don't really care. I'm just curious how many do more than weekly mowings. I don't see too many LCO's servicing properties around here more than once a week. certainly not at the weekly price.

if every client did it that'd be one. it'd be easy to schedule but when one out of all your clients wants it, it's a pita.

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 09:16 PM
You have a cheapskate that is it. Most people will pay for 2 cuts if you cut it twice.

sjessen
03-25-2012, 09:23 PM
well this guy isn't working with me at all but I don't really care. I'm just curious how many do more than weekly mowings. I don't see too many LCO's servicing properties around here more than once a week. certainly not at the weekly price.

if every client did it that'd be one. it'd be easy to schedule but when one out of all your clients wants it, it's a pita.

In 20+ years of doing this I've had maybe two customers that wanted twice a week service. If he lived two blocks from your house there would be no problem. As it is it may almost cost you money to accede to his wishes.

This customer is not necessarily out of line by wanting the extra service but may not understand the realities of the lawn business.

Get Some...
03-25-2012, 09:36 PM
I'll cut it everyday as long as they pay for it.

:usflag:

:)

RLS24
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
I may have over-looked this, but is he on a per-cut price or a monthly price? If he's on a monthly price, well, then do what the contract says and if he doesnt like that mention to him that if he read the contract before he signed it, he would understand that the lawn will get cut once a week for the price stated. I'd also tell him that if he read the contract before he signed it, that he'd also be familiar with the "opt out" clause....I'd kick him to the curb. You're busy enough as it is you can't be going back there every 4 days making special trips. Leave him for someone else. What other "extras" is he gonna want throughout the year?

yardguy28
03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't use contracts. it's a do the work and invoice at the end of the month.

he will pay for each visit, he just isn't willing to pay more than the price originally quoted.

price originally quoted was based on weekly visits fit into my scheduled route to optimize fuel consumption. every 4 days would have me coming a diff day each week. how am I suppose to route that when all the other clients are on a weekly schedule and I'm on this guys side of town only on thurs?

more money per cut to cover the added distance driven using more fuel would get me to do it but he won't.

ringahding
03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't use contracts. it's a do the work and invoice at the end of the month.

he will pay for each visit, he just isn't willing to pay more than the price originally quoted.

price originally quoted was based on weekly visits fit into my scheduled route to optimize fuel consumption. every 4 days would have me coming a diff day each week. how am I suppose to route that when all the other clients are on a weekly schedule and I'm on this guys side of town only on thurs?

more money per cut to cover the added distance driven using more fuel would get me to do it but he won't.

I would say it is time to move on from this customer. Just need to let all your customers know that you are a "Weekly Lawn Service" Cannot please all, just most.

yardguy28
03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
most in my area wouldn't want anything more than a week in the first place. more would probably do every other week if they could get by with it.

the thing with this guy is, this issue was discussed prior to hiring me. he asked me about coming more often and it was agreed upon that they try the weekly thing and see how they liked it. then before the first he calls to say his grass needs cut and I say I'll be out thurs. then he quizzes me about the weekly service thing and tells me he'll have to thing about it ad call me back.

bet ya he's getting other estimates and won't use me which is fine.

gdguth
03-26-2012, 01:57 PM
I had a similar situation where the customer wanted it cut more often in the spring, so what did they do, they went and did it themselves. Then they tired to tell me it didn't need it the scheduled day of service. I had to straighten them out on it. It has been fine since. This guys sounds like he will be the type that wants it cut 4 days now and when the heat sets in this summer he will want it every 10-12 days to screw you up again. Good luck, just let him decide, he will. Probably will find a low baller to do as he wants and he will be in the same situation a year from now.

yardguy28
03-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I had a similar situation where the customer wanted it cut more often in the spring, so what did they do, they went and did it themselves. Then they tired to tell me it didn't need it the scheduled day of service. I had to straighten them out on it. It has been fine since. This guys sounds like he will be the type that wants it cut 4 days now and when the heat sets in this summer he will want it every 10-12 days to screw you up again. Good luck, just let him decide, he will. Probably will find a low baller to do as he wants and he will be in the same situation a year from now.

yeah we had that discussion as well. wants it cut when it needs it and doesn't want it cut when it doesn't but doesn't want to get on any kind of set schedule or pay any extra.

weeze
03-26-2012, 04:56 PM
if he isn't gonna pay for it then i wouldn't do it. i'd say if you pay me X amount i will cut it more than once a week otherwise it's gonna be once a week and the price we agreed on. you can't throw in an extra cut for free. that's rediculous even if he is your next door neighbor. tell him it's this amount per cut. so whatever he is willing to pay then that's how many times you will cut it.

Ridin' Green
03-26-2012, 05:04 PM
yeah we had that discussion as well. wants it cut when it needs it and doesn't want it cut when it doesn't but doesn't want to get on any kind of set schedule or pay any extra.

Well, after reading the remarks in your last post here, I believe that you already know what you need to do. This guy wants to have himself a "lawn boy", not a professional LCO. Just drop him and move on. He won't be worth it in the long run, and from the sounds of it, not even in the short run.

If he starts off a PITA, he'll most likely only get worse, especially if you give him an inch.