PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Cemetary for Bid

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Just looked at a cemetary I was asked to bid on. Wow, not sure where to go with this one. The larger half is old.... ooooold! There is no organization at all to any of it, completely random. Half of the stones are fallen down. The ones from the 1850's look modern. Most of them, you can no longer read. The stones that are older than the 1930's have big sink holes in front of them because the people and coffins are long gone. It looks like washboard sections scatterd over about 2.5 acres. There are a couple of fences around familys made of steel pipe and cement posts that are half standing at best. Its strange because you often see the small stones, 2" wide, that are broken, fallen down, etc. But there are the huge 6-7 ft tall ones flopped over. Most of it is so random and full that Id be better off just trimming large portions than even using a walk behind. I can be fairly sure they wont be very picky based on present condition. Grass looks like the bi-weekly mowing type. But Im pretty hopeless on man hours estimate with this one.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 09:49 PM
no decrepit cemetary mowers on lawnsite? Even if its just unorganized and crowded, it would be good to hear about for a time refference

aaron79mowing
03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a job you would dread doing. I would bid it high so it's well worth the trouble.

hi_speedreed
03-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I know you should bid high if you want it but only if you truly want to do this job. You said there were sink holes. What are you going to do if you step in a hidden one and break your leg? How would you take care of your accounts? I know it could happen anywhere but sometimes humans put themselves in situations where they are just asking for trouble. I personally would respectfully decline to bid.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Not sinkholes like open holes in the ground. I mean all the plots from before concrete vault days have a 1 foot dip in front of them, roughly in the shape of a rectangular box...

hi_speedreed
03-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry, misunderstood what you were talking about. Is the total area 2.5 acres or is that just the old part?

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 10:47 PM
thats the total, maybe a bit less. Its not huge. The old part is like 70% though

SwatDawg15
03-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I try not to turn down business, but you really need to think this threw and see if you can make money, and enough money to motivate to do it. Sounds like a crappy job for sure.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Its all work to me I just cant figure on how much work it is.

hi_speedreed
03-24-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't know what you charge but I would think somewhere in the 6.5-7 man hours depending on how many stones there are once you get it under control. Its really hard to tell without actually seeing it. And when you get your number I would make it 3 times that for the first cut.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 11:09 PM
its been mowed. Its not overgrown or anything like that. Do you do maint on any cemetaries?

mybowtie
03-24-2012, 11:25 PM
You will learn, eventually, that is better to walk away from PITA jobs.
Ill remind you of the power plant...one u NEEDED to RUN from...

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 11:33 PM
lol. its just mowing and weedwhacking

I was happy with the powerplant job. Didnt know they would be such a-holes though

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-24-2012, 11:34 PM
With out seeing it in person but 2.5 acres with 2 man crew 2 hrs maybe 3 max
This base on my 2 60'' DC and 2 FS110 trimmers

I use do 20 acre Cememtery avg was 2 acres per hr each mower and trim at same rate
This Cememtery was full no more room 90% up rights 10% flush tomb stones

When I did it charged $150 per acre now same job is at 75 per acre and ppl takes 2-3 days to mow it I did i in one day

hi_speedreed
03-24-2012, 11:39 PM
its been mowed. Its not overgrown or anything like that. Do you do maint on any cemetaries?

No, I don't maintain any cemeteries. Was my estimate that far off of what you were thinking? I am pretty confident in my ability to bid properties and maintain the profit level I want and like I said without seeing it based on the info you gave I would estimate 6.5-7 hrs.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 11:41 PM

I use do 20 acre Cememtery avg was 2 acres per hr each mower and trim at same rate

When I did it charged $150 per acre now same job is at 75 per acre and ppl takes 2-3 days to mow it I did i in one day

That was with 2 guys? I could live with that. Sounds like you made out pretty well on that one.

hi_speedreed
03-24-2012, 11:43 PM

so I was a little over, Snyder's is at 4-6 man hrs I was at 6.5-7 man hrs. But maybe he is just faster with a trimmer than me, lol.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
No, I don't maintain any cemeteries. Was my estimate that far off of what you were thinking? I am pretty confident in my ability to bid properties and maintain the profit level I want and like I said without seeing it based on the info you gave I would estimate 6.5-7 hrs.

No I was just wondering if thats the rate you see 1st hand, while doing this type of work. My guess was right on with snyders at 4

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-24-2012, 11:53 PM
so I was a little over, Snyder's is at 4-6 man hrs I was at 6.5-7 man hrs. But maybe he is just faster with a trimmer than me, lol.

All depends how you trim
fastest way to trim stones take half down and take other side back up if lined up in a row I see ppl trim each stone walking all way around before moving to next thats slow way

hi_speedreed
03-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Well, I did learn from this exchange and this is good. I am supposed to bid on a cemetery myself here soon. I don't know if I want it but I will keep you updated 4 seasons. If you get it, let me know how long it actually takes you.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-24-2012, 11:56 PM
No I was just wondering if thats the rate you see 1st hand, while doing this type of work. My guess was right on with snyders at 4

You better put a fee in for picking up fake flowers or ask if you have do it or they will

4 seasons lawn&land
03-25-2012, 12:04 AM
I dont know. The grandkids are 200 years old at this place. JK, there are a few new ones, very few.

djagusch
03-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I have a 12 acre cemetery, some stones are from the 1800's. Older section is lumpy, with mow overs and above ground stones, and slight evelvation changes.

12 to 14hrs mowing. 4 to 10 hrs trimming (alternates each time, one time we get everything second time we spot trim whats needed). 48" walk behind and sulky.