PDA

View Full Version : ZTR for taller operators?

Bones
12-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm looking at starting up a part time LCO this spring, which I'm sure will result in a FLOOD of questions for you wonderful people! hehe. I'm looking at doing mostly commercial because I have a FT job and want the flexibility to be able to mow on the weekends. If I get into much residential, I'd consider hiring my little brother to work for me while I am at my FT job.

Anyway, I've been looking at ZTR mowers online and been reading this site for months now. I'm really interested in what Exmark and Hustler have for mowers. From what I've seen, it seems like 52-54" is a good all around size of a ZTR.

I've got a concern though.. I'm tall.... very tall. hehe I go 6'8" and weigh about 235.

I'd like to keep things as compact as possible, but my first priority is to fit on the mower.

Do any of you have experience with mower options for taller people?

Thanks for any and all your help!

Edit: I should add that I'm concerned about height with the ZTR riders and walk behinds. I hate to kill my legs on the riders and break my back on the walk behinds!

Tidycut
12-11-2002, 12:51 PM
You could remove 12 inches of shinbone. Something like what Hank Hill's dad had done. :D

The Exmark Lasers do have adjustable seats that go too far back for me, but I'm only 5'11". You need to check them out and sit on one to know for sure.

Rick

mdb landscaping
12-11-2002, 12:57 PM
A guy i worked for this summer used turf tigers. He had a new 27 hp liquid cooled model that you could practically lay out on. the seat went way out and you could fully stretch out your legs. Its comfortable when you are riding all day.

Blessed 1
12-11-2002, 01:53 PM
I have the 52" Toro Z Master and I dont have any problems at all. I just put the seat back as far as it goes. I am 6'6" 280 lbs. I think that you will feel comfortable! As a matter of fact I hate to get off of it:D :D

LAWNGODFATHER
12-11-2002, 06:09 PM
The mowers have some adjustments in them.

I had a guy work for me 6'11" 315# and he had no problems.

odin
12-11-2002, 07:43 PM
my brother is 6/7 280 to 290 lbs he dont have a lot of problems with the full sized lazer and the dixie chopper .But he had a hard time on a lazer z hp 48inch mower.

2tall
12-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Just recently checked out a couple of brands at the local All Equipment show and to my surprise the Gravely had the most comfortable riding position for me. I'm only 6'4 but if I had to buy one for comfort I would buy the Gravely.

greengrass2003
12-11-2002, 09:57 PM
why not try the hustler short cut? It is like riding a motorcycle. kinda rough to ride, but rider size doesnt seem to be an issue. I am 5'6" and my father in law is 6' 3" and we both fit well on it.

ScottH
12-12-2002, 07:24 AM
I don't know alot about many of the mowers, but the excel z & super z have pretty good adjustments. I'm only 6' and they are comfortable.

The z/super z control handles are adjustable vertically and the hand grip section will adjust forward and backward from the control rod section to help with the knees.

The seat does slide back pretty far.

Have a good day- ScottH

Bones
12-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the advice so far, it looks like I shouldn't be too worried about finding something I can work with.

I'm thinking of a ZTR in the 52"-54" range, hopefully an Exmark or Hustler. I like the Super Mini Z, but not sure if the reduced size will cause problems or not.

I located a Hustler dealer near my FT job, so I guess it's time to head there and give them a try.

Thanks!

Bill Davis
12-13-2002, 10:31 AM
I am 6'4 and have a 52 inch Lazer and have plenty of room and love the machine.

KMSLawn
12-13-2002, 02:35 PM
6'4" 300...ish, I fit pretty comfortably in my Lazer Z.

Piedmont Lawn
12-13-2002, 04:15 PM
I'm 6"5" 220 very comfy on my Gravely 260Z....:D

Kelly