PDA

View Full Version : How do you get commercial accounts?

LCCaptain
03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
I've been doing this on my own for 5 seasons and haven't figured out how to get to bid on commercial accounts. Do you approach them, They call you or is there a place that they announce that they are excepting bids?

whaler's Mow-Town
03-25-2012, 03:30 PM
word of mouth is best but it dont seem like yor getting much of that so why dont you try a phonebook ad? Or buy a website or do some advertising or do some schlepping around (code for cold calling) or you could target the companies you want and try to sleep with the accountant's of said companies :laugh:........ you sure cant do it if ya cant dream it.

JB1
03-25-2012, 03:33 PM
same way you get a girlfriend, you go looking.

GMLC
03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Join your local Chamber of Commerce and mingle with the business owners. Networking is key, then you can land their home as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kleen Kutz
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
All you have to do is target the ones you like to deal with. Then go an present yourself to them. Asking to speak to the manager or superviser only. Never talk your business to the little woman at the front desk. They'll always say we got contract with someone already. But you need to talk to the supervisor. When you do tell him your name, and the company your with.

Next ask them if there happy with the ground maintence company they currently have. Also ask them if they are accepting any bibs now. Always let them know it's very possible you can give them a better bid. Remember try not to lowball anyone. If that don't work just go to the next company until you land one. Just give it some time you'll land one. It took me a season or two for me to get my first one. I NEVER GAVE UP.

JCLawn and more
03-25-2012, 04:19 PM
I just go business to business, I call sometimes, or email also. I just ask if they are interested in a quote. If they are a big business they are always looking for a better deal or someone better.

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 04:23 PM
if there is more then one location then most of the time you need to call corporate hq and ask if they are accepting bids.Single location some times you can submit a cold bid and call back later.

SpillMan
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Depends on the type of commercial property. If it is a condo/apartment community then start at the sales/leasing office and ask for the community manager. They will steer you in the right direction. Some use property management companies, which are also great ways to get properties. Get a good brochure or reference package together and drop one off at some management companies, you never know. For industrial or office buildings always ask for the facility manager, as they are usually responsible for handling contractors for maintenance. Hope this helps. Anything I can do to help, send me a pm

LCCaptain
03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I only have one commercial account and that's my Credit Union that asked for a bid since I was a member. I was more or less talking about corporations like Walmark and Mcdonalds ect. I seen new people cutting our local Mcdonalds and I was just wondering how most of you go about it. I'm in the paper, on the net and have yard signs up.

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Walmart,if you want to work for nothing go for it. Most were run by USM ,but I heard they lost them all. First stop is the manager of McDonald some of them are corporate and some are run by a Franchisee who may own from 1 to a couple of 100 in different states.

JCLawn and more
03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. I only have one commercial account and that's my Credit Union that asked for a bid since I was a member. I was more or less talking about corporations like Walmark and Mcdonalds ect. I seen new people cutting our local Mcdonalds and I was just wondering how most of you go about it. I'm in the paper, on the net and have yard signs up.

2 ways, go ask the manager of the store about who to talk to, or if its done out of the main office google head quarters of ______________ and that will get you the office phone number. Don't call the consumer number, your wasting your time. Plus you get to talk to a human!

LCCaptain
03-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks. I thinks it's to late now but I will ask around in my area and see when they start excepting bids for lawn care.

SpillMan
03-25-2012, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=grandview (2006);4361406]Walmart,if you want to work for nothing go for it. Most were run by USM ,but I heard they lost them all. First stop is the manager of McDonald some of them are corporate and some are run by a Franchisee who may own from 1 to a couple of 100 in different states.[/QUOTE
Stay away from that type of commercial work. Not much money there. Office complexes are good money makers and fewer callbacks or complaints.
Posted via Mobile Device

CGT_LTD
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Try "Blind Bids". Just drop off bids to commercial properties that you want to deal with. Again, like someone posted previously, talk to the guy in charge.

BestImpressions99
03-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Door to door is ALWAYS the best way to get business. They aren't going to seek you out unless like the above posts state word of mouth. Sometimes folks will post something in the newspaper but most of the time it's a pretty quick turn around.

JContracting
07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Try "Blind Bids". Just drop off bids to commercial properties that you want to deal with. Again, like someone posted previously, talk to the guy in charge.

How do you go about measuring the property/parking lot prior to submitting the bid & at a minimum, speaking with someone about the property.

JCLawn and more
07-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Google maps measuring tool or go walk the property after hours, or if its standard you can tell the size by pulling into the business.
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Anything through a management company is a waste of your time. They are geared towards large companies who bid cheap to keep crews working. Talk to people you know, chances are they have a friend who runs/owns a business. Also the Chamber of Commerce idea is a great way to get a foothold with other business owners to sell your services to in person.

JCLawn and more
07-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I do work for a few property management companies who let me charge whatever I want as long as its in reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
07-24-2012, 05:07 PM
The 2 large property management companies I deal with are continental service solutions out of Illinois and Carlson building services out of Minneapolis Minnesota. Both have been a piece of cake to deal with. No pics or paperwork and I charge what I want. The owner and my manager from Carlson actually came down to meet me at the account I have through them. Then I work for a local property management company and he just texts me when they need something done with the address and I invoice him with the bill (I rarely need price approval anymore) and he direct deposits the money 20 days later. One company I tried was miken construction. That became a pain and it was getting worse so I dropped them. They set the prices and a mountain of paperwork and pictures that were really unpaid . It was stupid.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
What was the best way to get onto the two management company's bid lists?

JCLawn and more
07-25-2012, 01:18 PM
They contacted me so I have no idea haha they got me through yelp and service magic. Now what I would to is google "property management" for your state and call around because the local property management companies usually are the local associations for condos and what not.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
07-25-2012, 01:26 PM
They contacted me so I have no idea haha they got me through yelp and service magic. Now what I would to is google "property management" for your state and call around because the local property management companies usually are the local associations for condos and what not.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
That is what I have been doing, the results the past week or so haven't brought anything, but from now until October or so (usually) is when snow contracts begin to expire & bids are to be sent in.

polarismalibu
07-26-2012, 01:16 AM
That is what I have been doing, the results the past week or so haven't brought anything, but from now until October or so (usually) is when snow contracts begin to expire & bids are to be sent in.

What did they tell you?

JContracting
07-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Haven't heard anything back, I end up having to leave a voicemail most of the time or I've sent a very professionally formatted email.

Blade Runners
07-26-2012, 02:14 AM
What was the best way to get onto the two management company's bid lists?

Contact them and ask to be placed on their contractor list. They will send you some forms to fill out with licensing and insurance info among other things.

JContracting
07-26-2012, 02:33 AM
That's what I'm trying to do, but at a minimum, I need to actually hear back from them to be able to even get a chance to get at the paperwork.