PDA

View Full Version : Seed or Sod

blk90s13
03-25-2012, 04:07 PM
The customer is a very loyal customer she dropped the ball in my field and said what ever you see right do and let me know how much before starting work

She got a company that wants to till the yard 2 feet down and seed it :rolleyes: lool

and another wants to sod it after tilling the yard as well, does anyone use sod cutters anymore ?

I would use a sod cutter take all the old crap away new 1/2 in to an inch of topsoil level it all up and then dont know what would work best

They have irrigation system so watering will be regular also she got lawn doctor treating the lawn

here is some pictures of what it looks like now

area is roughly 3000 sq/ft

JB1
03-25-2012, 04:30 PM
nobody is going to till it two feet down (good snow job) get a sod cutter or harley rake or whatever and sod it

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Roundup it. Bring in a few inches of topsoil then seed or sod it. To much tilling will just make low points on it.

JR88
03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Like Grandview said.. Round up, mow it down to nothing, than topsoil, than seed. Done.

blk90s13
03-25-2012, 08:27 PM
What if I dont wanna spray it ? I have license and all but dont want to use chemicals for my own reasons ?

is it too late in NJ to seed now ? and maybe up to 2 weeks from now ?

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 08:33 PM
OK .No round up,Put the topsoil down and seed it. The owner could always contract for weeds after the lawn is established. But if you go sod,I'd kill it off first.

blk90s13
03-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Yea I think that's what I will go for just bury all the grass with nice layer of topsoil and seed it.

ValterBorges
03-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Get a soil sample too probably want to lime it.

ValterBorges
03-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Heat from drive way and road salt will kill the edge grass maybe some mulch and shrubs for the edges.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I would till it and re grade it and hydro seed it
Thats myself
that spraying it and adding top soil and seeding or sod you going raise the grade and will looks bad a long the drive way walk

All depends what equipment you have to do the job right

Smallaxe
03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Looks to me like the grade is too high along the driveway already, yet too low for the tree to be comfortable there... put something in front of those pipes and that hose coil...

That is where I would start the project... no more money, just a nicer look... I see a rainstorm muddying up the driveway and possibly washing the new topsoil down the street...
Looks like the slope peaks at the foundation of the house... :)

McFarland_Lawn_Care
03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Another idea would be to aerate the crap out of it, add a LITTLE topsoil and nutrients, then overseed it heavily and fertilize. Did you say she had someone treating in already or lined up to treat it? I can't imagine someone just spraying weeds there and not even being responsible enough to suggest helping the grass grow.

blk90s13
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Another idea would be to aerate the crap out of it, add a LITTLE topsoil and nutrients, then overseed it heavily and fertilize. Did you say she had someone treating in already or lined up to treat it? I can't imagine someone just spraying weeds there and not even being responsible enough to suggest helping the grass grow.

yes Lawn doctor is treating it since last year, which she is not happy with at all and we all see why !

I did a power rack 2 yards of topsoil and seed heavy last March then the treatment began a year later we got what you see

It was way worst the first time I seen it last year as far being leveled and patchy

RigglePLC
03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
So ...Did Lawn Doctor apply crabgrass preventer already? If not, will they accidentally apply it before you get the seed up, herbicide, too? If no Roundup, I would use sod cutter (although not much sod), add maybe a mild tilling--perhaps 2 inches deep. You cannot till deep as you would dig up irrigation system, and the wire. Lay sod. Sod is quick and easy--weed free and looks great instantly. Take the check and go.

How did the lawn look that bad, if it had the proper care. It looks to me like the irrigation system was never turned on--or doesn't work. Get irrigation fixed first. If you did the job last year--why does it look so bad now?

blk90s13
03-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Sod came up to be too expensive for her, so just spot topsoil and heavy seed for now.

shepoutside
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Sod came up to be too expensive for her, so just spot topsoil and heavy seed for now.

Normal reply, lol

blk90s13
03-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Normal reply, lol

looooool :laugh: I wanted to make a killing on it too

Smallaxe
03-26-2012, 08:38 PM
... I did a power rack 2 yards of topsoil and seed heavy last March then the treatment began a year later we got what you see ...

Your "followup" should have been last Fall, so tell her this year, we will do it right in August...

RodneyK
03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Seeing the pictures and hearing that you have worked on this before really bothers me. What a mess. Worse yet you wanted to make a killing on the sod? You should be putting it down for free! If I was the client I don't know who I would fire first, you or Lawn Doctor.

There are many good responses as what to do. Spot topsoil and heavy seed isn't going to get you there though.

Smallaxe is right.

nighthawk117
03-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Your client needs to call in a professional to get this done right, you don't seem to be educated enough to provide the results needed, plain and simple !

blk90s13
03-27-2012, 12:59 AM
What if the customer did not want to do the right thing and spend the money ? you walk away ?

I try to work with everyone's budget.

Why would I be called again to do the same job if she is disappointed, You never saw what it looked like last year to judge if this looks better or worst now.

RigglePLC
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
My only suggestion, if she does not want to spend much, is to use very high seeding rates--perhaps double the recommended rate. Convince her to pay for the extra seed of course. Seed is cheaper than labor. Then rake, power rake or add topsoil (or compost to substitute for proper soil preparation)...that way if not every seed germinates...you will still have acceptable stand density.

Edge II from Pickseed is very quick germinating, dark green and disease resistant. Germinates in 4 to 6 days, (during warm weather).

blk90s13
03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
My only suggestion, if she does not want to spend much, is to use very high seeding rates--perhaps double the recommended rate. Convince her to pay for the extra seed of course. Seed is cheaper than labor. Then rake, power rake or add topsoil (or compost to substitute for proper soil preparation)...that way if not every seed germinates...you will still have acceptable stand density.

Edge II from Pickseed is very quick germinating, dark green and disease resistant. Germinates in 4 to 6 days, (during warm weather).

Now that's a good advice I thank you

lawns Etc
03-28-2012, 01:05 PM
What kind of budget does she have ? Its only 3000 sq ft.. If you dont have a tractor with a grader id rent a power rake and take it to bare dirt. Soil probe and check Ph level.Add lime if needed then sod it and put down some basic 10-10-10 to get it going. I could get it done in 2 days with no problem. Could do whole job for $2k and make $1400 after all materials and be done and she would be happy instantly

blk90s13
03-28-2012, 06:18 PM
What kind of budget does she have ? Its only 3000 sq ft.. If you dont have a tractor with a grader id rent a power rake and take it to bare dirt. Soil probe and check Ph level.Add lime if needed then sod it and put down some basic 10-10-10 to get it going. I could get it done in 2 days with no problem. Could do whole job for $2k and make $1400 after all materials and be done and she would be happy instantly

$2200 was my sod price, last year she spent $300 on top soil and seed I will do the same thing again and just thatch, seed and fertilize in August

I called a couple days after my initial post and found out the there was no irrigation at all last summer because her system needed some repairs ( controller is bad )

lawns Etc
03-31-2012, 02:35 AM
You should wait till after labor day to seed by then the cg preventer should be worn off. August seeding is just too hot normally. ESP is the sprinklers aren't working.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
And do not proceed until she has a new irrigation controller. And is willing to use it. Read her water meter so you will know how many gallons she used. Ask to see her water bills, Before and after so you know how much she normally uses and how much more she used to get the new grass started.
Water is cheap compared to sod.
So you have 333 sq yards of sod. At $2 per roll that is $666. At a pallet per hour, that is about 6 hours to lay the sod. My figures could be way off--but I think you should make a little money on the job.