PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with my hustler mower

Crocker Lawn
03-25-2012, 04:15 PM
I bought a Hustler Super Z 31 HP 60 inch deck in 2010. I have never been really happy with the cut on the xr7 deck. It bogs down in thick grass and the deck cannot handle what I am trying to cut, and the list goes on. I was a scag guy until my dealer stopped selling them so i did not have much of a choice. I know that hustler has come out with improvements with the vx4 deck, and heard that it has been compared to the scag velocity deck. I have to do something different I cannot keep cutting with this mower and deck. People in my area love the hustlers and they work fine for some people but not for me. Should I purchase the new hustler with the vx4 or go another route? The next scag dealer is over 30 minutes away and really do no want to change dealers they are excellent. The dealer also sells bobcat but I'm not too impressed with those machines.

GMLC
03-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Will your dealer let you demo on your lawns? If not I would drive 30 minutes for a Scag.
Posted via Mobile Device

Crocker Lawn
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, they will let me demo anytime I ask. I would really hate to buy a mower from another dealer, they have really looked out for me, but I can't keep cutting with a crappy deck lol

sjessen
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Yes, they will let me demo anytime I ask. I would really hate to buy a mower from another dealer, they have really looked out for me, but I can't keep cutting with a crappy deck lol

There have been a couple of threads where guys have talked about using different blades on their hustlers. Perhaps, one of them will chime in to give you some help.

pugs
03-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Just curious, why did your dealer stop selling Scag?

Honestly Bobcat is a good machine. I would put them up against anything else. Their deck is more like an Exmark though. They are made to cut well in normal conditions. They are not meant to bushhog or cut great when the grass is really too wet to be mowing it.

cutyourgrass
03-25-2012, 06:35 PM

If you go and get the scag from the other guy, will your current dealer service it for you? If so, and you feel the need, explain to the dealer that you do not like the performance of the Hustler and really like the way the Scag performs.

After all, 30 mins for a one time trip is not that big of a deal.

Good luck.

Mowingman
03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I would get a demo on some Bobcat models. The bobcats are very good machines. Well designed, good cut,(from my experience), easy to maintain, last for many years.
I would take a Bobcat ZTR any day, over a Hustler product.

SLMGT
03-25-2012, 07:27 PM
What type of grass are you cutting in Lucama? I've always had a good cut with the XR7 deck on warm season grasses.

Crocker Lawn
03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Pugs- There was a disagreement between my dealer and the Scag people, a scag rep came and took all of the mowers and that was the last of it. Personally I have always thought there was more to the story than they told me... I might of spoke too soon on Bobcat, I have never demoed one...they have always looked kinda cheap too me. Maybe I should not judge so quickly and demo one.

Crocker Lawn
03-25-2012, 08:07 PM
SLMGT- I have a lot of weedy yards, most of my customers do not want spraying etc. Clover...crabgrass etc. Also many of my yards are cut every 14 days so a lot of growth and moisture. The xr7 deck does not do a good job on these yards.

Crocker Lawn
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
cutyourgrass- yes I am sure they would service it, but once again idk..

Crocker Lawn
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not hearing much about the new vx4 deck..does it really compare to the scag velocity deck? I was really hoping Hustler had made some major improvements.

DAR57
03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
What is the problem your having? I cut cool season grass but I love the cut I get!!

mtmower
03-26-2012, 01:43 AM
I looked at Bobcat 10 years ago and they made a basic looking entry level machine for a decent price but in no way could it hold a candle to Hustler, Scag, Ex, etc. They may have made major changes since then I don't know.

Many have battled the XR7 deck here in the northern grasses. The southern boys seem to love them.

It's been a long time since I've run Scag but they are hard to beat. The TT would be the one for me if I were buying one, except no dealer, and I don't care for the drive shaft PTO system, small fuel tanks, and slower speed, also ride may be a factor.

Check threads by Tizzy, MickHippy, Ridin' Green, TLS and me. I've beaten this to death myself. I still think Hustler makes one of the best most heavy duty mowers out there. And nobody touches their warranty. Do you have the added baffles that were given out by Hustler to improve problems with skippers? This helped but added additional weight to the deck. Make sure your pitch is set on the deck. This alone helps a lot. Different blades!!!!! I haven't tried them yet but the new VX4 (on the Super Z not X one) has massive, notched high lifts I'm told which may use additional hp but is supposed help with cut and clipping dispersal. Also there has been a lot of positive noise from the Oregon G6 blade as well. Most of the above is assuming you are side discharging.

This is a good thread showing and comparing decks.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322546

Demo the new Hustler VX4 as well and give us all need feedback.