PDA

View Full Version : Hauling mulch with a1/2 ton truck.... ( i searched)

JLSLLC
03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Was curious to what everyone thought about this. I have a 1/2 ton truck right now ( '87 f150). Not ready to buy a bigger truck yet :( Since the weather has been nice im getting a good amount of calls for mulch.. I was curious to what i could SAFELY handle transporting mulch... From what i read mulch is roughly 800-1000 pounds per yard, depending on how wet it is.. So im thinking 3yards is about the max, but wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this.. I have put 3 yards in my other 1/2 ton truck, but that was it. Not just talking in an f150, but usual half ton trucks ( 1500 dodge's and chevy's etc). The truck has helper springs added to the main leaf springs. I do also have wooden sides that are a foot higher than the cab... thanks for looking!!!:weightlifter:

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't think your going to get 3 yrds in the back unless you mound it over the cab.If the axle is rated for so much it don't matter how many helper springs you put in.

JLSLLC
03-25-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't think your going to get 3 yrds in the back unless you mound it over the cab.If the axle is rated for so much it don't matter how many helper springs you put in.

Yeah that is true. That was last season, might of put the extra one in the trailer. Going to look at the sticker on the door. Id like to know how much that axle can handle

93Chevy
03-25-2012, 06:15 PM
You won't get more than 2 yards. I can jam 3.5 yards in my truck with sides that extend all the way to top of the cab. Build higher sides and you can haul more.

But like Grandview said, your axle can only take so much weight, plus you could be illegally hauling too much if you overload what your truck is registered for.

weaver
03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Was curious to what everyone thought about this. I have a 1/2 ton truck right now ( '87 f150). Not ready to buy a bigger truck yet :( Since the weather has been nice im getting a good amount of calls for mulch.. I was curious to what i could SAFELY handle transporting mulch... From what i read mulch is roughly 800-1000 pounds per yard, depending on how wet it is.. So im thinking 3yards is about the max, but wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this.. I have put 3 yards in my other 1/2 ton truck, but that was it. Not just talking in an f150, but usual half ton trucks ( 1500 dodge's and chevy's etc). The truck has helper springs added to the main leaf springs. I do also have wooden sides that are a foot higher than the cab... thanks for looking!!!:weightlifter:

Wow i put 2 yards in my 96 f150 and the front was son high in the air it seemed as if the front tires where barley on the ground ... very hard to steer..

JLSLLC
03-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Im glad i posted this!! Yeah when i did 3yds last year with my other truck i didnt have to go that far... I surely want to be safe and avoid any incidents so its looking like 2 at the most...

weaver
03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Im glad i posted this!! Yeah when i did 3yds last year with my other truck i didnt have to go that far... I surely want to be safe and avoid any incidents so its looking like 2 at the most...

Man if you have a trailer , that would probably be your best choice. It seems like when they put all that in the back of a truck it really gets compacted and it becomes difficult to unload, where as a trailer just lay a tarp down and have the bobcat dump it on the tarp..

JLSLLC
03-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Man if you have a trailer , that would probably be your best choice. It seems like when they put all that in the back of a truck it really gets compacted and it becomes difficult to unload, where as a trailer just lay a tarp down and have the bobcat dump it on the tarp..

I do have a trailer its a single axle 5x10 rated for 3000lbs.. That is also an option, i would just need to make sides.. Yeah it sure does get compacted in the bed of a truck! Thanks for all your replies:waving:

93Chevy
03-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Why would you lay a tarp down? You can scrape against the wood of the trailer floor or the truck bed, but a tarp is gonna get all bunched up. Doesn't make any sense to me why you'd make your job harder.

weaver
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Why would you lay a tarp down? You can scrape against the wood of the trailer floor or the truck bed, but a tarp is gonna get all bunched up. Doesn't make any sense to me why you'd make your job harder.

Just cause some guys don't have raised sides on there trailers and can fold the tarp over the sides of the mulch... when you get down that far you can just pull the tarp straight off the trailer... What works well for some might not for others..

JLSLLC
03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I always manage to tear my tarps, never fails L0L... The trailer has wooden flooring so that's a plus. Guess the trailer might max out 2.5- 3 yards..

93Chevy
03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Just cause some guys don't have raised sides on there trailers and can fold the tarp over the sides of the mulch... when you get down that far you can just pull the tarp straight off the trailer... What works well for some might not for others..

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Seems like it would be easier just to make wooden sides for the trailer, but whatever works :drinkup:

White Gardens
03-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Ditto on the trailer.

Even when I started out and owned a 4.3 S-10, I could still pull a trailer and 2 yards of mulch with it.

I used a tarp also, but it was because I had a wood deck with gaps between the boards. The advantage of the tarp was that I used a long a-- tarp and let the extra hang off the end. When loaded, I would just pull the extra tarp back over the pile, throw my wheelbarrow on top and strap it down. This way it helped to keep to blow-off from happening when going down the road.

weaver
03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Ditto on the trailer.

Even when I started out and owned a 4.3 S-10, I could still pull a trailer and 2 yards of mulch with it.

I used a tarp also, but it was because I had a wood deck with gaps between the boards. The advantage of the tarp was that I used a long a-- tarp and let the extra hang off the end. When loaded, I would just pull the extra tarp back over the pile, throw my wheelbarrow on top and strap it down. This way it helped to keep to blow-off from happening when going down the road.

That's all i meant with the tarp .. was to take the extra tarp material hanging over the sides and to fold over the mulch.. I actually have never had more than 2 yards at a time and just used my truck, but see alot of other guys who haul big loads of mulch just dump it on a tarp on there trailer..

White Gardens
03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
That's all i meant with the tarp .. was to take the extra tarp material hanging over the sides and to fold over the mulch.. I actually have never had more than 2 yards at a time and just used my truck, but see alot of other guys who haul big loads of mulch just dump it on a tarp on there trailer..

I still have that little trailer and use it from time to time on smaller jobs where we don't need to drive the dump truck just for a simple 1-2 yard mulch job.

But, when we've got the bigger jobs, I just fill the dump and my 14ft equipment trailer and I think I can get close to 11 yards in one trip.

weaver
03-25-2012, 07:03 PM
That just made my back ache just thinking about raking,shoveling and wheelbarrowing 11 yards of mulch.. That's where the money is at though the landscape work..

JLSLLC
03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
That just made my back ache just thinking about raking,shoveling and wheelbarrowing 11 yards of mulch.. That's where the money is at though the landscape work..

That would be a long day, :drinkup:

Roger
03-25-2012, 09:28 PM
I have a 5X10, Viking trailer, 5.80X12, 8 ply tires. I used to haul 3 yds of mulch often, and it did well. GVWR, 3,000 pounds. It does have sides, but only needed about 12" at the most.

I now use a 6.5X12 trailer, normally used for equipment. It has 15" wheels, and with 3,000 GVWR. I usually haul the same 3 yds, but would not hesitate to put on 4 yds. It has no side boards, just the typical rail about a foot off the bed. When loaded in the center, there is no spillage over the edge of the trailer. At the supply yard, they use an 8 ft wide bucket, 3 cu yd capacity. I just make sure the dump in near the center -- stand on the side, giving the operator directions, forward/back, so that the heap line is at the center.

I think the mulch I typically haul is about 700 pounds/cu yd.

Roger
03-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Duplicate post erased.

White Gardens
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM

My chiropractor loves me.......

That would be a long day, :drinkup:

How about a long week. Goal is to put down 40 yards of mulch this week.

This season I'm expecting to go through about 140 yards.

JLSLLC
03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=White Gardens;4361757]My chiropractor loves me.......
Haha Yeah mine too!:laugh:

Whoa, thats no joke, you guys work hard:weightlifter:

lukemelo216
03-26-2012, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=White Gardens;4361757]My chiropractor loves me.......
Haha Yeah mine too!:laugh:

Whoa, thats no joke, you guys work hard:weightlifter:

We are not even to april yet, and have spread about 500 yards of mulch already. I still have 6 of our regular maintenance contracts that we are mulching at, all of which take a minimum of 80 yards, a few are around 120. Just in maintenance contracts were expecting to go through 1500 yards of mulch just in commercial maintenance alone, plus I still have bids out on 3 properties that would add in another 300 yards. we havent even got the calls from our regular residential customers for mulch yet plus any new customers.

My 3 man crew put down 70 on thursday, and the four man crew will put down another 330 on monday and tuesday. They only did 70 becasue it was all of the far stuff and more delicate hand work (perennials and flowers.) Now all of the beds are more wide open (mainly grasses, yews, and trees.)

White Gardens
03-26-2012, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=JLSLLC;4361782]

We are not even to april yet, and have spread about 500 yards of mulch already. I still have 6 of our regular maintenance contracts that we are mulching at, all of which take a minimum of 80 yards, a few are around 120. Just in maintenance contracts were expecting to go through 1500 yards of mulch just in commercial maintenance alone, plus I still have bids out on 3 properties that would add in another 300 yards. we havent even got the calls from our regular residential customers for mulch yet plus any new customers.

My 3 man crew put down 70 on thursday, and the four man crew will put down another 330 on monday and tuesday. They only did 70 becasue it was all of the far stuff and more delicate hand work (perennials and flowers.) Now all of the beds are more wide open (mainly grasses, yews, and trees.)

I here ya! That's lots and lots of mulch. Even when I think that we're doing a lot of mulch, then I see posts like this. That and I know there are other local companies going through as much as that.

Sounds like you need to invest in a mulch blower! I sure would be thinking hard about it if I was pushing that type of volume.

Greenery
03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Wow 70 yards, 3 guys, 1 day.
That's 2 yards an hour per guy working twelve hours straight.

You either have some exceptional employees or a mulch blower.

Especially seems how you say they needed to work around perrennials and such laying by hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
70 yards should take 2 guys 2 days with a blower truck, maybe longer with a small blower trailer.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-27-2012, 12:49 AM
I think your pushing it trying to carry that much mulch. I have a 1 ton dually mason dump. The most I carried was 5 yards and it did effect control. I couldve been ticketed big time. I think your estimate of 800-1000 pounds a yard is on the light side.

CS-LAWNSERVICE
03-27-2012, 09:13 PM
2 yards with a 96 f-150 4x4 no problem with handling or drivablity and mulch yard here says its about 1,000 a yard

McG_Landscaping
03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
You should have no problem with 2-3 yards. I used to put 2 yards heaped up in my 6' bed on my 1500. Now with sides on my 250 I can put 5 good yards in it. They put 4 on then push it down then put 1 more on it and its to the top of the cab. I tarp it and im good to go. knock on wood but the cops are pretty lenient around here. The truck seems to handle it fine so I will keep doing it.

ojays lawn care
03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
I thought i would reply because i find this funny. I have been out of landscaping for about 8 years, and i am just getting back into it part time.
8 years ago i serviced all my accounts with my 87 F150, I remember i had a job that required 15 yards of mulch. I had 2 foot wooden sides to extend my bed walls to match the cab of my truck. Mulch company was a 15 mile drive from were i was doing the job, so i made the trip 5 times with my F150, putting in 3 yards of mulch each time. Now im not recommending you do this, but i did it. Every time i hit a bump my trailer hitch smashed the road, it was a white knuckle drive each time but i made it. On the 5th trip, the guy at the mulch company looked at me and said" just so you know its free delivery over 8 yards". . . .
Lesson learned

lukemelo216
03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Wow 70 yards, 3 guys, 1 day.
That's 2 yards an hour per guy working twelve hours straight.

You either have some exceptional employees or a mulch blower.

Especially seems how you say they needed to work around perrennials and such laying by hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

We are at a mall and we are using a skid loader with a 2 yard bucket and the mulch is probably a good 4-500 feet away usually. In 2 hours the 3 of them did 15 yards plus clean up. 1 guy in machine, 2 on the ground. I have no need for a bark blower, i personally think they are a waste of money. You spend probably close to 225k on a mulch blower that will hold 60-70 yards for a decent used machine. Plus you need to spend another 50-60k on a loader.On top of that your going to have 3-4 guys running that machine, 1 on the hose, 1 running the truck/controls, 1 doing minor hand work, and another cleaning up everything behind the crew. It just doesnt make sense. Especially when I could spend 60k on a macine with a snow bucket, and have 1 operator and a few laborers spread the same amount in the same time. Yeah our time slows down a little on the sites where we cant run the machine aroudn from bed to bed. But we are still knocking out about 1.75-2yards per hour/guy. 2 guys wheeling mulch, 1 in the loader, and 2 spreading.

rednecklimo85
03-31-2012, 03:23 AM
With my '99 dodge 1500 6 foot bed I've hauled 1.5 yards with out sides and with a tool box, I have little doubt that 2 yards would have fit with out sides and with out the tool box, and weight wise it hardly felt it. But that truck was built with all the heavy duty options. Those older fords I don't think were built as heavy, I know my dad put 3/4 ton leaf packs in his '88 cause he kept breaking 1/2 ton springs.

unclemark
04-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Load it on a trailer, 1/2ton is 1000lbs. You are puting others at rist when over loading your vehicle. Its not that they cant do it but its the impact on the braking system and suspension thats bad. It gets hard to stop, hard to steer etc..... you get the idea.

JLSLLC
04-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Thought id throw in a pic or two for ya's :drinkup: Two yards fit well into the truck and the weight wasnt that bad... Next mulch i pick up will go into the trailer to make things easier.. The trailer made the truck squat thats for sure:dizzy: