PDA

View Full Version : where to dump old gas

bobbygedd
12-11-2002, 02:49 PM
i have a couple of gas cans, maybe 3 gal worth, that r contaminated with water. where can i get rid of it?

scott's turf
12-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Can you have bon fires out that way? We usually will use some old gas to get it started.

bobbygedd
12-11-2002, 02:56 PM
if i light a fire in this area, ill be in deep u know what. no way

mcambrose
12-11-2002, 03:45 PM
Unless you have other crud in there, I let the can sit a while to settle water out and then pour it into a jar to make sure I didn't get any water with it. I then just pour it into one of my trucks. If you get some water in the jar then pour just the gas into another jar and the water back into the gas can until you have essentially only water left.

scott's turf
12-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Sorry bobby, I forget sometimes that not everyone lives in the sticks! ;)

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i have a couple of gas cans, maybe 3 gal worth, that r contaminated with water. where can i get rid of it?
Next time you run into some scrubs, offer to fill up their mowers.

walker-talker
12-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Here, you can take your used motor oil to the gas station and they will dispose of. Possibly they will to the same for you old gas?

MATT

mdb landscaping
12-11-2002, 04:55 PM
no gas station is going to want gas with water in it. Although its only 3 gallons, i doubt any of them will take it. when i have left over gas, i dump it in the tanks at my dads mobil station, but it doesnt have water in it.

rodfather
12-11-2002, 05:10 PM
How bout the gas tank of my ex's car? J/K, she lives too far away from you bobby...lol

bubble boy
12-11-2002, 05:49 PM
USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uh,

sorry for a second there i was channelling chopique.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-11-2002, 07:07 PM
If it is clean pour a little HEET in it, that will change the water into fuel.

Esby
12-11-2002, 08:36 PM
From now on I am going to fill up my tanks with the garden hose and then add some HEET. I mean if Lawngodfather knows his stuff:D

LAWNGODFATHER
12-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Esby
From now on I am going to fill up my tanks with the garden hose and then add some HEET. I mean if Lawngodfather knows his stuff:D LOL, would cost like 10 times more than what you can buy gass at the pump.

HEET will take some water out of your gas.

wriken
12-11-2002, 09:00 PM
I'm still laghing my a@@ of, that was a good onr, at least I know what LGF means:p

laughing so much I can't even spell.

CMLLawnServices
12-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Any service center might let u dump it in their used oil and coolant resivoir, other than that we just burn it or dump it into wood ashes, they will absorb it and u can take it to the dump, or buy a bag of floor dry and pour it in to the bag then throw it out.

lawncare3
12-11-2002, 10:55 PM
dump it in that dumb @$$ non paying customers lawn.:D :laugh:

mklawnman
12-12-2002, 12:10 AM
:laugh: Im still cracking up on the comment made about adding water and then using HEET instead of going to the pump, ;) if it only were that easy.
Anyways, bobbygedd go to your local recycling center and see if they will take the gas, I would think maybe you could get away with just pouring it in one of the gas bins and be done with it, no harm done, just as long as its ok with them. Thats my thought, I live out in the country so id use it for a bond fire.
Matt

Doogiegh
12-12-2002, 12:51 AM
Mix it with your round-up solution next year for an 'extra' strong kill?

I don't know about putting it in with kitty litter and then scooping it away and having the garbage take it.. I could see it getting vaporous and having a whole truck explode cause of it.

After all it isn't 1/2 a cup, it's 3 gallons...

of course the environmentally safe thing to do is next time you go to wash your car in your driveway, pour the gas in a bucket.. Have 2 buckets with you.. When you start washing, dump the gas down the curb out of a bucket so as to not raise any suspicion. I'm sure the old lady across the street will say something if she sees you wipe out the old red gas can pouring down the curb, but a bucket of what looks like water? Nah..

Immediatly follow with a bucket of soapy sudsy solution.. rinse out the gas bucket and get rid of it cause it's evidence you did something wrong (don't wan a neighbor walking up saying hi bobby, what's in this bucket that smells weird?) .... Wash your car 3 times over with loads of sudy soap and keep the water running the whole time so it dillutes the smell and concentration.. Hopefully no neighbors will come outside, the lemon-fresh suds will hide any odors and your gas is gone..

And the enviroment is much better because your car is squeaky clean. (HEH HEH)

LAWNGODFATHER
12-12-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Doogiegh
Mix it with your round-up solution next year for an 'extra' strong kill?

Not only will you get jail time but the EPA, Dept of Ag, and your prosicuting atterany will just eat you alive for vandalisum, creating a threat to the enviroment, applying an incorrect labed chemical, etc....etc... etc...

If you are licensed you will loose it for good.

stevo22
12-12-2002, 01:28 AM
can you not just toss it in the storm drain???ever seen christmas vacation...j/k

bubble boy
12-12-2002, 01:35 AM
wow, this threads run its course.

greenman
12-12-2002, 01:35 AM
2 or 3 times or year, our city sets up a facility that is open to the public to dispose of unwanted household chemicals, used oil, old gasoline, or whatever else can not be just trashed. I usually try to take advantage of this free service.

Nebraska
12-12-2002, 02:29 AM
bobbygeld and everyone else.

Check this website out....
http://www.gas-care.org/handling_fact.htm

as well as...
http://www.gas-care.org/Press_release_june13.htm

bubble boy
12-12-2002, 03:01 AM
interesting read. we should all realize what we use daily can do...

TLS
12-12-2002, 11:50 AM
If its just water contaminated, do this....

Go get some felt.

Line a large funnel with it.

Stick felt lined funnel into a "clean" gas can.

Dump away.

Water will not pass through the felt, just the gas.

Then add to a car or truck if its old. 3 gal's mixed in a trucks 30+ gallon tank will not hurt a thing. Add some of LGF's HEET into it while your at it.

This "FELT" trick was taught to me by my Father, who's Grandfather taught him back on the farm. Only his Grandfather used a Felt Hat, and DIDN'T smoke!

Good Luck!

Markus
12-12-2002, 05:26 PM
I agree with TLS the water will lay on the bottom, strain it and uee it in your truck/car....go buy some water paste and if you don't feel that the gas is safe test it, the past will turn purple if moister is present.........Marks Mowing Service

Darb
12-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Wow, finally a couple of viable solutions. I have the same problem, but thankfully not three gallons.

mdb landscaping
12-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Doogiegh
When you start washing, dump the gas down the curb out of a bucket so as to not raise any suspicion.
And the enviroment is much better because your car is squeaky clean. (HEH HEH) [/B]

I hope you are kidding because you will have the biggest clean up bill you can imagine. My father owns a gas station, and one day somebody said the brook behind the station was blue. They thought it was the car wash chemicals we have. DEP shows up and an enviornmental contractor with a $200,000 vac truck. We look at the storm drain and see it is stained blue. Apparently somebody decided to drain their tidy bowl camper right there. All the drains were sucked out and a large portion of the brook. Because of this ignorant ***** hole, guess who got stuck with the $1300 clean up bill because we had no names to give?: you guessed it, we did. Lesson to learn here. If you get caught dumping gas down the drain, you may spend some time in jail and will have a very hefty fine to pay.

Doogiegh
12-12-2002, 08:12 PM
I was 100% without any doubt kidding...

I thought most would of caught on to that when I said that the environmentally safe thing to do is...

I would absolutly go to the local recycling center first to see if they can take it. Even if I had to pay some $$ for them to take it, it's better than running thru an engine.. Otherwise I would try the filter and heet ideas that were shared here.

Or i'd do stuff like search on google for "remove water from gasoline" or whatever to see what else can be done..

But down the curb when washing a car was truly a joke, not something I would actually do or advocate..

Sorry if you any of you guys thought I was for for real.

Hey another idea - check with a local junkyard.. They must somehow get gas out of old beat up cars cause otherwise when the tanks finally rust, they would have a huge problem of gas leaking everywhere.. They must drain the tanks into something to get rid of and it is only 3 gallons..

mdb landscaping
12-12-2002, 08:14 PM
I know you werent serious, but i thought id share a real life experience as to what happens when ignorant people dump stuff down the drain.:D

Doogiegh
12-15-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm sure the damage 3 gallons would do is pretty bad. I'd try the funnel/filter and heet idea..

Good luck,

MikeLT1Z28
12-15-2002, 08:14 PM
charcoal lighter fluid.. just let it burn longer and add more coal to the top so the flavor isn't there. also good for fireplaces.

buzzzby
12-15-2002, 08:41 PM
This is what Ive been using for all my OPE equipment. Seems to work well.

http://www.mrfunnel.com/

MTS2357
12-15-2002, 09:51 PM
This trick works best where it gets real cold.

Pour fuel into open bucket, place coat hanger across top and hang string over coat hanger till it lays on bottom. Leave this in a very cold place. Water will freeze around string. Pull string and water out, add a good gas line anti-freeze then use in truck.

I have done this and suffered no problems.

Gravely_Man
12-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Bobby, Call around but whatever you do don't dump it out. If you get caught doing that you will be in a real jam. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Gravely_Man

TLS
12-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Suck up the old gas into a SUPERSOAKER 4000 and make a FLAMETHROWER!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

Guess nobody ever heard of the felt trick?

Leaving it in an open container will allow it to eventually evaporate.

Raid the felt drawer liners from your Moms old hutch and try it. Just dispose of them, DONT return them to the drawer!

lawn and stump
12-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Let the water settle by not shaking the gas can, then leave the gas can outside in 0 degree weather. the water will freeze and you can pour the gas off into another contaner. if you still are worried repeat the process.you can then add a little heet and burn it in your truck.

Doogiegh
01-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Still got that gas laying around?

Or did you do something with it.. Now would be a GREAT time to put those wires in the gas for the water to freeze to.. <G>

It's only been 20 degrees out for the last 9 days.. <G>

Gary

JML
01-22-2003, 11:07 PM
I would give it to a local landscaper you don't like.....

Threeponys
01-22-2003, 11:33 PM
I've been reading messages pertaining to many topics over the past few days. Learning quite a bit. This is my second year as a LCO. I have to admit that I am ashamed of everyone responding to this topic. :mad:

A LCO ask a simple ??? and everyone is making EPA type jokes regarding how and what he should do with his 3 gallons of contaminated gas. I thought we were suppose to help each other. :confused:

From past posts and topics it seems to me the right thing (and helpful to all concerned) to do would be..... GIVE that gas to "Chipique". Considering ALL the helpful and thoughtfulness advice he gives freely, is would only be the rightful thing to do. If that's not an option, call your local city for environmental issues and disposal. :D

Doogiegh
01-23-2003, 12:04 AM
Stick around for more than 3 posts..

You'll see many threads where we DO help with great ideas and then there are the jokes tossed in.... There is lots of great information, and some hilarious ideas..

Oh well.

Darb
01-23-2003, 12:41 AM
Talk to the people where you have your machines serviced. I bet they know what to do with it.

Luvs2Play
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
An old post that is quite funny. I have about 10 gallons of gas from a skid steer I just bought, the gas must be five years old. I have tried to get rid of it at several places, nobody wants it. I found a place that uses an oil heater in their shop, he said he would take it if it would burn. We couldn't get it going with a torch. I would put it in one of my ex's cars, but I don't know where three of them live, the other one is too mean. Any new ideas would be appreciated. thanks

jsf343
02-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Next time you run into some scrubs, offer to fill up their mowers.

Love that idea!!:laugh:

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Pour it into an old metal bucket and set fire to it. I have done that with an old can and it only burned what was exposed to Oxygen. Must have burned for an hour. I would not recommend this unless you live in the sticks and are extremely careful.

old dog 80
02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Just let the cans freeze good(water in the bottom-turn to ice-pour the
gas in a vehicle) I would want to put gry gas in that tank just to be sure.
I have done that several times to get water separated from used oil so
a friend can burn it in his stove;)

JKOOPERS
02-23-2006, 02:40 AM
just leave the can in the ghetto and lhopefully someone will put it in their car. :laugh:

LawnBrother
02-23-2006, 11:02 AM
just leave the can in the ghetto and lhopefully someone will put it in their car. :laugh:
:laugh: That's just wrong! :laugh:
Seriously, though, call your local waste management company and ask them what to do with it. If they do not take it, they will refer you to someone who does. Around here, you can drop it off at a place called Environmental Services (513) 541-1823 (for you Cincinnati guys), and they charge $1.50 a gallon to PROPERLY dispose of it. I am sure there are similar services everywhere. There are also certain times of year when your local WM company will dispose of hazardous materials for free. Give them a call to find out. Junkyards do use old gas, but they don't want yours, only the stuff they get out of old cars. Do the right thing and have it properly disposed of. Mother Nature will thank you.

CC Lawncare
02-24-2006, 01:53 AM
You are in Jersey. It is FREEZING outside this time of yearr. Put the cans outside overnight. Then in the morning, pour the gasoline into a different empty gas can. The water will be in the form of ICE in the original can and you can now get rid of that by bringing it back inside to melt the ice.

lawnwizards
02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
guess who got stuck with the $1300 clean up bill because we had no names to give?: you guessed it, we did. Lesson to learn here. If you get caught dumping gas down the drain, you may spend some time in jail and will have a very hefty fine to pay.
how much time did you all spend in jail for this? you mention the $1300 but didn't mention the jail time.. just curious.

J&R Landscaping
02-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Any service center might let u dump it in their used oil and coolant resivoir, other than that we just burn it or dump it into wood ashes, they will absorb it and u can take it to the dump, or buy a bag of floor dry and pour it in to the bag then throw it out.

That would be a good method! I will keep that in mind!