PDA

View Full Version : kubota vs scag vs bad boy

wellington123
03-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Decided to purchase another commercial diesel mower. Iv looked at the kubota,scag and the compact bad boy diesel mowers. I am really leaning towards the scag or the bad boy but just looking for imput on them.

thanks

wellington123
03-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Lets hear some ups and downs of the mowers the quality of cut, reliability, and the all around mower.

planetlc
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM
This thread won't turn out well.

What models are you looking at?
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
03-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Talk to smithfabinc, and read this thread among others (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=352921&highlight=bad+boy+diesel) and you decide.

I would go with scag.

wellington123
03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
sorry about not making sense on the thread it was late and i was tired last night. Im looking a the

kubota ZD326 or ZD331
Bad boy compact diesel
scag turf tiger with the 28hp cat diesel

pvbooner
03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
I have a friend that had one of the kubota diesels and did not get 300 hours out of the drive train. When he took it back to the dealer, the dealer had two more with the same problem with similar hours. Don't know if they have it worked out or not but it was a very expensive fix. I have heard some good and alot of bad with the bad boys, looked into the diesel and was not impressed with the handling at all. Don't really care for the handling of the turf tiger but of the three you listed I would feel most comfortable with it as far as durability goes. It has proven itself as a durable, well built machine. Good luck with whatever you choose.

ashley lawn
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Iv got a old zd18 don't use it much if at all any more 4900 hours runs like new down fall is slow ground speed and poor grass eject but its also only 18hp with with 60 inch cut
Posted via Mobile Device

wellington123
03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
i am going to buy the scag turf tiger with the cat diesel for $14 grand.

mtmower
03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Can I ask why your going diesel vs gas. I'm buying new and kicking it around. The off road diesel fuel would be a little more of a hassle and maybe more expensive then mid grade non-ethanol. You'd probably have more torque but heavier mower. It may last longer, but people are getting 3000-4000 out of a gas and in my mind the rest of the mower is due to be retired by then. Plus I understand, diesels have more maintenance needed compared to gas. Have you ever seen any specs. on gpm fuel comparison? Just interested.

wellington123
03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
the main the i went with diesel is that my dad is a farm so i can get as much diesel from the tanks at the farm for free

nepatsfan
03-27-2012, 04:42 PM
i am going to buy the scag turf tiger with the cat diesel for $14 grand.

good choice!

GMLC
03-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Nice choice. You won't be disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

OmegaRed
03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Can I ask why your going diesel vs gas. I'm buying new and kicking it around. The off road diesel fuel would be a little more of a hassle and maybe more expensive then mid grade non-ethanol. You'd probably have more torque but heavier mower. It may last longer, but people are getting 3000-4000 out of a gas and in my mind the rest of the mower is due to be retired by then. Plus I understand, diesels have more maintenance needed compared to gas. Have you ever seen any specs. on gpm fuel comparison? Just interested.

Everything I've seen is that a diesel vs. a large gas (26hp or above) is that diesel usage is about half per hr. It's usually about a gallon an hr for diesel and 2 gallons an hr for gas. YMMV

jrs.landscaping
03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I agree with OmegaRed, we have 2 John deere 997's and three walker diesel's. After overcoming the fact that they are liquid cooled and need a radiator to maintain, they consume about half of the fuel. This is true under any type of load condition. After switching our Walkers over to diesel we have seen an increase in production and less fuel consumption/downtime. I have made the suggestion that the rest of our gas fleet be phased out and replaced by diesel mowers in the future. Larger cost up front but lower operating cost over the life of the mower.

mtmower
03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
You'd definitely need to know your going to love the mower and commit to keeping it probably a minimum of 1500-2000 hrs to make up the difference of the upfront cost. If a guy was switching out mowers every 2000 hrs I'm guessing it wouldn't pay to go diesel.

jrs.landscaping
03-29-2012, 06:56 AM
With our mowers one man operates one mower. That mower is his so if anything is wrong or doesn't feel right he will know right off. Our guys love the diesels and they said after running them there is no comparison. With that said it is true you have to commit to that mower for a longer time frame because of the additional cost. We have about a four year turn around with our Walkers which comes out to 2,000 to 2,250 hours.

lisavinoles@cableone.net
08-26-2013, 12:23 PM
My Scag is laying "dead in the water" after spending 2 years in the shop almost every week.

I bought a Bad Boy 60" yesterday, and let me tell you... that is a Mowin' Jesse!!! WOW! Amazing!

No tire marks, no overlap required, SUPER FAST, gas gauge for fuel. I mowed our 2 front yards in 20 minutes (used to take 1-1/2 hours for both on the Scag).

I am REALLY IMPRESSED with the Bad Boy!

:cool2:

ztman
08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
My Scag is laying "dead in the water" after spending 2 years in the shop almost every week.

I bought a Bad Boy 60" yesterday, and let me tell you... that is a Mowin' Jesse!!! WOW! Amazing!

No tire marks, no overlap required, SUPER FAST, gas gauge for fuel. I mowed our 2 front yards in 20 minutes (used to take 1-1/2 hours for both on the Scag).

Wow, that's five times faster. When did they start putting V8s in the Bad Boys. :laugh:

lisavinoles@cableone.net
08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Apparently, very recently. The speed and mow deck are AMAZING!!! And I forgot to mention this earlier, but my 60" BAD BOY was half the price of my 48" Scag. I am SO impressed...

lisavinoles@cableone.net
08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Well, well, well... Guess what? I posted two posts to this thread this morning, and I just got a PERSONAL PHONE CALL from someone at Scag wanting to argue with me. Imagine that!

I still stand behind my posts about the superior quality of the Bad Boy vs. the quality of the Scag.

I won't buy another Scag.

How do you like that, Mike?

lisavinoles@cableone.net
08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Did I mention the fact that the Bad Boy cost me HALF AS MUCH as my Scag? for a 60" mow deck vs 48" mow deck? Yeah...

jrs.landscaping
08-26-2013, 03:49 PM
(used to take 1-1/2 hours for both on the Scag).

Apparently, very recently. The speed and mow deck are AMAZING!!! And I forgot to mention this earlier, but my 60" BAD BOY was half the price of my 48" Scag. I am SO impressed...

Las time I checked ANY mower with a 60" deck was faster than a 48" deck :rolleyes:

After you've had your BB for more than a day give us a better review and remember you ALWAYS get what you pay for ;)...............

lisavinoles@cableone.net
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
No, the money was not the issue. The ISSUE is that the Scag is in the shop every week or two. NOT reliable. With all the grass I need to keep up with, I need a reliable tool. Maybe now with TWO mowers, I'll at least have one working at any given moment.

And no... I watched the clock on the "north 40". It DEFINITELY was that much faster. Even if you only consider the fact that I did NOT have to "overlap" to get a good cut, it was STILL WAY FASTER. With the Scag, I had to overlap by at least 1/3 to 1/2 to get a clean cut.

I still stand by my posts about the superior quality of the Bad Boy.

JCLawn and more
08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Did you get the TT? If so ill save my fingers on my awesome experence with my kubota zd326

jrs.landscaping
08-26-2013, 05:57 PM
The problem is your experience consists of one day

Michael J. Donovan
08-27-2013, 08:10 AM
ok, let's move on and refrain from the name calling and personal attacks

thanks, we would appreciate it :waving: