PDA

View Full Version : Fire ant decline?

fl-landscapes
03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/17252738/early-studies-show-fewer-florida-fire-ants

Ric
03-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Fl

Interesting story and one I agree with. Fire Ant calls are down and I was thinking it was more the economy. But I also see less re-infestation on yearly accounts. The question of course is WHY?????

A number of years ago Biological controls in the form of Flies that attack Fire Ants were introduced into our environment. At the time I was a disbeliever. But I am guessing that maybe the Biological controls might be working.

However last fall I had my largest Account a 25 acre Fire Ant control job go wild with Fire Ants after the Fire Ant bait I was using failed. In order to save the account I spend 3 days blanket spraying Tons of Fire Ant Mounds.

jvanvliet
03-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Brain eating flies? :laugh: What's next, white fly eating zombies?

If it works... it works, so good!. I wonder what will happen though when the brain eating fly population exceeds the fire ants... what will they be eating then?

I remember when they first released them, they were not supposed to be able to reproduce, is that still true?

zturncutter
03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
I think to some extent in some areas the Raspberry or Caribbean crazy ant is displacing the Fire ant colonies.

Ric
03-26-2012, 02:49 PM
I think to some extent in some areas the Raspberry or Caribbean crazy ant is displacing the Fire ant colonies.

Z Turn

I just came back from your Neighbor Joel's house this morning. Your area is right on the edge of Caribbean Crazy Ant Country. You are so correct and aren't going to find Fire Ants where CCA are because they out compete Fire Ants.

Ten years ago if had had a rain like this past week end, I would be swamped with Fire Ant Calls. But I have yet to get the first Call for Fire Ants today.

bugsNbows
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM

Fl

Interesting story and one I agree with. Fire Ant calls are down and I was thinking it was more the economy. But I also see less re-infestation on yearly accounts. The question of course is WHY?????

A number of years ago Biological controls in the form of Flies that attack Fire Ants were introduced into our environment. At the time I was a disbeliever. But I am guessing that maybe the Biological controls might be working.

However last fall I had my largest Account a 25 acre Fire Ant control job go wild with Fire Ants after the Fire Ant bait I was using failed. In order to save the account I spend 3 days blanket spraying Tons of Fire Ant Mounds.

Yes, the Phorid flies have been hard at work. I don't expect they are solely responsible for the population decline though. Most likely, there are several factors including just natural population cycling.

zturncutter
03-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Ric, I was working on a paver patio repair job around a pool today and in part of the patio the crazy ants were hard at it. This was about 5 miles SW of Joel and I right off Kings Hgwy.

Florida Gardener
03-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Yes, the Phorid flies have been hard at work. I don't expect they are solely responsible for the population decline though. Most likely, there are several factors including just natural population cycling.

I saw a show on those...very fascinating.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Ric, I was working on a paver patio repair job around a pool today and in part of the patio the crazy ants were hard at it. This was about 5 miles SW of Joel and I right off Kings Hgwy.

Z Turn

They are coming my way. I am only about 8 miles South West of You and Joel.