PDA

View Full Version : Dormant Seeding is Up

Smallaxe
03-26-2012, 09:34 AM
The weather has actually been warm enough up here,,, that the Dormant Seeding from last Fall, after the ground started to freeze,,, is already up...

Does anyone else have 'Dormant Seeding Success Stories', this Spring???

bepperb
03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I live near Milwaukee and the seed I threw down around February 1st is already 2 inches or so high. Threw it in winter to have it germinate as soon as possible as it's a very shady area (hoping to get it established before the leaves block most of the sun). Forsythia is also blooming in my yard. Strange year.

Smallaxe
03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
I live near Milwaukee and the seed I threw down around February 1st is already 2 inches or so high. Threw it in winter to have it germinate as soon as possible as it's a very shady area (hoping to get it established before the leaves block most of the sun). Forsythia is also blooming in my yard. Strange year.

I'm up here in Z4, and we have Forsythia all over, as well...

Mine is also in the shade... Good idea about have the grass establish b4 the leaves come back on... :)

RigglePLC
03-26-2012, 10:01 PM
This is a odd year. I have seed in outdoor pots. I planted seed in each month of the fall, winter and spring. Sometimes on top of snow. Seed has sprouted and grass is up at least to some degree in each of the pots for October, November, December, January, February and March. I didn't plant the April test yet.
Non-irrigated, but very unusual warm year. It was 75 to 85 as a high most of the week of March 19. I used Scotts "Classic" seed--very high in perennial rye.

Smallaxe
03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
This is a odd year. I have seed in outdoor pots. I planted seed in each month of the fall, winter and spring. Sometimes on top of snow. Seed has sprouted and grass is up at least to some degree in each of the pots for October, November, December, January, February and March. I didn't plant the April test yet.
Non-irrigated, but very unusual warm year. It was 75 to 85 as a high most of the week of March 19. I used Scotts "Classic" seed--very high in perennial rye.

I didn't do any mid-winter seeding myself and I simply used our regular mix of KBG, P.Rye, & CR Fescue, on open ground that needed it...

Pots,,, may very well have a different ambient temperature from what the earth has, at ground level... :)

Hineline
03-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm seeing some come up. I am sold on dormant seeding!

Smallaxe
03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm seeing some come up. I am sold on dormant seeding!

Not every year is this good, but we seem to have had a good Winter for it... I still have one complete lawn renovation to check, that started with bare tilled soil in November... I would love for that to green up thick and lush... :)

Hineline
03-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Not every year is this good, but we seem to have had a good Winter for it... I still have one complete lawn renovation to check, that started with bare tilled soil in November... I would love for that to green up thick and lush... :)

Did a fert job on a property that was dormant seeded in November by someone else. It's about 15K and was about 1/2 an inch but good coverage. I hit it with starter for the guy. Should do fine.

frotis
03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
What about dormant seeding when you have bluegrass in the mix and you have to apply pre-em in the spring. Chances are the bluegrass may not be germinated by the time you have to out the pre-em down.

RigglePLC
03-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Good point, Frotis.
I didn't do that test with kentucky bluegrass. Since the seed I have used has a lot of perennial rye--I am probably looking at mostly perennial rye. It appears that if you wait until the new perennial rye is two inches tall you can treat for crabgrass in the same year. The date of opportunity is tight, of course.

I am not sure if this would work with pure Kentucky bluegrass. Hmmm...would be a good experiment. Somebody try it.

Dave Stuart
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
I slit seeded several athletic fields in december last year and they were pretty beat up. I used a John Deere tractor with 38" land pride slicer / athletic blend an 80-10-10 KBG,TTTF,PRG blend. They are sod farm thick right now in late march.

Really a good winter to plant.

JMacRunner
03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
It's often easy to have success in the beginning of the season, but the real test comes later in the season. Much of the later success depends on the type of grass seed used versus the the conditions for your site. For my site of mixed sun and shade with moderate use, I recommend a mix of fescue and perennial rye - durable with a dense spread.

Smallaxe
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
What about dormant seeding when you have bluegrass in the mix and you have to apply pre-em in the spring. Chances are the bluegrass may not be germinated by the time you have to out the pre-em down.

The temps for KBG is 50 deg. while the soil temp for CG is 55 degress, as well as requiring direct sunlight and some bare soil... Lawns should not have those characteristics...

The thing about dormant seeding is: any stratification that may have been necessary is completed during the winter... any amount of water that needed to be absorbed will be completed during the winter... any adjustments that plant the seed at the correct level in the soil has been completed during the winter...

As soon as the temps are correct,,, the seeds pop!!!
My guess is, that the KBG and the PR, germinate, within days of each other...

Smallaxe
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I slit seeded several athletic fields in december last year and they were pretty beat up. I used a John Deere tractor with 38" land pride slicer / athletic blend an 80-10-10 KBG,TTTF,PRG blend. They are sod farm thick right now in late march.

Really a good winter to plant.

Excellent... :)

I too, just got word that my complete start over done in November is looking good right now... I'm anxious to see it...