PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand about these 2 different honda engines

petscanning
03-26-2012, 09:00 AM
So I was deciding between a hrx or hrc model. I know the hrc is commercial but I noticed the hrx has a 190cc engine but the hrc has a 160cc. I guess the hrc must have beeter quality parts maybe? I dont know just curious.
Your probably saying why not just buy the commercial one. Well last year I bought a hrr model and it has the consumer 160cc engine from a guy for $125 and I have used the crap out of it and it still works great and I have gotten my investment back almost a 100 fold. Ive done leaves to yards and it starts first time every time so why should I really put out 1k for a commercial mower? I did buy a toro timemaster and that was 1k but it has cut my time down dramatically. Anyway this is a question about the engine differences

jetta
03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
if your asking about the engine difference commercial engines last a lot longer and are gx..consumer engines are gc

PTP
03-26-2012, 09:18 AM
From somebody who has mowed hundreds of lawns per week and has used both commercial and homeowner quality equipment, I would definitely recommend commercial equipment. There really is no comparison, the commercial is simply better.

I prefer Toro but I suppose that the Honda would be a good choice as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
HRC engine= commercial, more durable, bigger crankshaft and more power.
HRX engine= homeowner, not as HD as HRC, smaller crankshaft, a bit less power.

I would go for the HRC216HXA.

petscanning
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I guess I just didnt understand that the commercial has a 160cc where the high end residential has 190cc

ShooterK2
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
I guess I just didnt understand that the commercial has a 160cc where the high end residential has 190cc

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. It's a bit odd that they offer more horsepower on the homeowner machines than on the commercial units.

I have a 36" walk-behind that I use whenever I can, but a few yards still require use of a 21". I studied for a long time on here, and decided on the HRX 217 VKA (the one with the thumb drive). It's rated as a homeowner grade machine, but it has mowed many a yard now, and still works like new. It's not as heavy as a commercial unit, and it has the additional benefit of the mulch/bag lever on top of the deck. It mulches well, and bags excellent. Leaves a very nice cut with the double blade setup. I couldn't be happier with it.

They also make one with a different transmission, but, from reading on here, it seems like they go thru drive cables a lot. That's why I chose this one.

Ridin' Green
03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

It's the same way with a lot of string trimmers and hedgers etc.
The HO models almost always have larger displacement engines. They have to make them bigger to get any decent amount of time/durability out of them since the components that are used in them are far less durable. The only way to make them last is to go big which reduces the amount of strain enough to make them last longer. They still won't last near as long as commercial enigines as a whole, even though there are sometimes exceptions.

petscanning
03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info all

ShooterK2
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Petscanning, if you will do a search on here, there was a fella named Roger that did extensive testing with one of the HRX Hondas. He used it full time for a couple of years (or maybe longer), put hundreds of hours on it, and, if I remember correctly, only had a cable or two break during that time. I don't think he ever had engine trouble with the machine. This has been a couple of years ago or so. I'll see if I can find the thread and post the link here....

ShooterK2
03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=268848

robert@honda
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
The HRC216HXA (self-propelled) has a 160cc GX-series commercial grade engine. It also has a number of other commercial features, like handle supports, commercial transmission, shaft drive, etc. (Current) HRC mowers have steel decks.

The HRX series mowers have 190cc GC-series residential engines. They are belt drive (constant tension, not a slip-clutch). HRX mowers have Nexite (a polymer material similar to that used in car bumpers and football helmets) decks with a lifetime warranty, although that only applies when not used commercially.

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

All_Toro_4ME
03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Petscanning: Between the two engines you mentioned, you won't notice much difference. They're both extremely good engines. I've have both types and never had a problem with either one. It's the rest of the mower you have issues with on the consumer models.

weeze
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
get the hrx model unless all you do is pushmow 8hrs everyday. you can buy 2 of them for the cost of one commercial hrc mower.

the hrx is way lighter and it will be fine for many years. i've had my honda gcv 160 engine pushmower for 5 years or more and still works like it's brand new.

it depends on your needs really. if you only pushmow a few small areas or yards each week then there's no need to buy a commercial unit. if all you do is mow with the pushmower 8hrs a day every day of the week then the commercial hrc mower would be the way to go.

petscanning
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
get the hrx model unless all you do is pushmow 8hrs everyday. you can buy 2 of them for the cost of one commercial hrc mower.

the hrx is way lighter and it will be fine for many years. i've had my honda gcv 160 engine pushmower for 5 years or more and still works like it's brand new.

it depends on your needs really. if you only pushmow a few small areas or yards each week then there's no need to buy a commercial unit. if all you do is mow with the pushmower 8hrs a day every day of the week then the commercial hrc mower would be the way to go.
Thats what I am thinking plus Honda is adding 1 more year to your warranty if I can get away with acting like I am a residential mower