PDA

View Full Version : What Would Be Your Bid?

Hoosier Mower624
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Have been asked to submit a bid for a 13 acre cemetery. No hills or deep ditches and all of it is filled with tombstones except about 2 acres of open areas. Wanting it mowed every 10 days.

THEGOLDPRO
03-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Dont do it man lol, I want to kill myself everytime i mow the graveyard we do. Can you show a google earth pic of the cemetary so i can see the size of the mowing.

hi_speedreed
03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Check out Snyder's answer on this post.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374395&page=2

Glenn Lawn Care
03-26-2012, 06:38 PM
They are a pain in the a$$. How many headstones are there.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
best guess would be to bid on how much time it will take and your hourly rate.

personally I'd shy away from a cemetery. the look to be a pain in the @ss!!!

jrs.landscaping
03-29-2012, 08:57 AM
13 Acre cemetery, with a two man crew will take you a day or two done weekly. The other guys are right, make sure you know what you are getting into before bidding. We just got a phone call yesterday from one of the towns we used to mow saying there current contractor had gone out of business. During the last bidding cycle he was 60% cheaper than we were. If you can, look into what has been spent in the past to contractors for services. If the prices are no where near your rates it might be best to walk away. We do approximately 100 cemeteries ranging from 400 sq ft to 8 acres. They are a nice niche because no one wants to do them, just make sure you can make money. Once you sign that contract win lose or draw that cemetery is yours.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Well good luck
if you set up right you should be able mow it and trim it with 2 guys 6.5 hrs
Around here I use get 150 per acre there to last was 100 per acre now people bidding 50-75 per acre to me not worth it its back breaking work if bid on it You want sure who is dealing with the flowers you can waste 2-3 hrs picking up flowers
There lot wear on mowers on ZTR in a Cemetery you turn more times so will wear out hydro pumps faster
If needing work then bid it to get it but if not lookin formore work bid to make money

yardguy28
03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
wow we got one guy who says 1 to 2 day with a 2 man crew and another that says 6.5 hours with a 2 man crew.

either someone is lazy or someone is full of sheot......

jrs.landscaping
03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
We have one 8 acre cemetery we mow and a 5 acre cemetery. They both take between 5-7 hours. The 8 acre cemetery has to have clipping collected and removed. The five acre is collected but dumped on site. Then when we trim we have to move all of the fake flowers and other artifacts the other cememtery doesn't have. It all depends how long a property like this will take. How big of a deck can you fit between headstone rows, we can only fit 48" floating decks because of small dips in the turf. How many stones are there to trim? Fake flowers and other artifacts in the cemetery? There are a lot of factors that go into time taken to complete a job like this and every company is different.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-29-2012, 09:50 PM
wow we got one guy who says 1 to 2 day with a 2 man crew and another that says 6.5 hours with a 2 man crew.

either someone is lazy or someone is full of sheot......

Well you think what ever you want thats you right

I did one that was 20 acres with 2 man crew with 60'' mowers
Was able mow it in 5 hrs and trim it in 5 hrs
This was 90% standing stones and was 90% full
We didnt bag or we didnt have to move flowers or pick them up