PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Hedge trimmer

williams lcm
03-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Bought my new stihl hedge trimmer and used only 4 months or so and had to bring back to dealer for service. Dealer said carb was bad. He said that I should not be putting any fuel in it that is older than 2 weeks old. Even with fuel stabilizer . Never new that. I run pure gas in all my handhelds. Is this true? I figured I should be able to go a least a month or so on fuel. Let me know what you guys think. I do have a commerical 2 year warrenty but does not cover the $65 carb. They only cover the carb for one month after purchase.

grandview (2006)
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM
What octane were you running in it?

TRD07
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Run premium gas only. I had the same problem with my stihl blower 3 years ago, but since I changed to 92oct. no more problems. Ethonal is killed the carbs.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Nothing less than 91 octane and fully syntethic oil STIHL HP ULTRA or REDMAX or AMSOIL oil.

ashgrove landscaping
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Some are good and some are bad I guess. Mine is 11 years old and I just use and stuff it where it fits with what ever gas is in it. Kill switch is froze up, primer bubble has been shredded for years and 4 month old gas sits in it all winter. About 15 pulls full choke on and off it fires right up and goes to work flawlessly. Have never changed the spark plug either. I treat my husqvarna trimmers and Ferris mowers the same way and have never had any issues. Treat em tough, they act tough I guess. I use 87 gas husqvarna mix the whole time.

williams lcm
03-26-2012, 08:45 PM
I run 87 octane with pure 100% gas . No eth. So the higher octane will help? How long can I keep the gas. I usually get new gas every 2-3 weeks with the handhelds.

grandview (2006)
03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Dumb question but,you are running oil with it ,right?

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
I run 87 octane with pure 100% gas . No eth. So the higher octane will help? How long can I keep the gas. I usually get new gas every 2-3 weeks with the handhelds.

Yes, the higher octane gas helps the engine run cooler.
You can keep premium 91 gas in gas cans for up to 3 weeks (that's what I do)

May I ask what type of 2-stroke oil are you running?

TRD07
03-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Stihl hp ultra 2 cycle oil
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
03-27-2012, 06:41 PM
I leave the fuel in my hedge trimmers, chain saw and other seldom used (at this time of year) pieces of equipment for months. I have ZERO problems. As long as the fuel doesn't evaporate out of the carb then it's fine. For me anyway.

I also buy 5 gallons of gas at a time for mixing. I use around 1 gallon a week in the trimmers and blower. That's 5 weeks and the fuel is still fine. I do use nothing but high quality, name brand gas. Since 1993 all I've used were Citgo, Shell and now BP. 89 octane mixed with Amsoil. No other additives go into my fuel.

If I were you I'd find another dealer. The carb is warranted for the same length of time as the rest of the tool. There is no exclusion in any of my many Stihl manuals for carbs.

Ridin' Green
03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
This link to Stihl's website might answer some of these questions. There are links within this link that are worth reading too-

http://www.stihlusa.com/faq/fuel-faq.html

White Gardens
03-27-2012, 06:55 PM
I leave the fuel in my hedge trimmers, chain saw and other seldom used (at this time of year) pieces of equipment for months. I have ZERO problems. As long as the fuel doesn't evaporate out of the carb then it's fine. For me anyway.

I also buy 5 gallons of gas at a time for mixing. I use around 1 gallon a week in the trimmers and blower. That's 5 weeks and the fuel is still fine. I do use nothing but high quality, name brand gas. Since 1993 all I've used were Citgo, Shell and now BP. 89 octane mixed with Amsoil. No other additives go into my fuel.

If I were you I'd find another dealer. The carb is warranted for the same length of time as the rest of the tool. There is no exclusion in any of my many Stihl manuals for carbs.

Same here, no problems with fuel related issues. (knock on wood)

With my 2 cycle stuff, I use Opti-2 synthetic and I really think that's why I don't have issues.

Even on some of my other no-mix equipment, I'll put a shot or two of Opti in the tank if it's going to sit for extended periods.

Ridin' Green
03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
This is the link I meant to post above. Sorry about that-
http://www.stihlusa.com/faq/general-faq.html

I use Star Tron or Sea Foam and I never have any issues with any of my handhelds when left with fuel in them for more than 30 days, plus most quality oil mixes have some type of fuel stabilizer in them anyway.

Alan0354
03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Sounds like dealer giving you the spin.......as usual. See, old gas is not covered under warranty and you have to pay. This is how dealer get money from you. They did it to me, that's the reason I buy a lot of stuff online if the price is very good and the hell with the warranty. Majority of the problem is fuel related and they are not covered. Warranty don't mean much here. Next time consider buying on line to save money. Most can be fixed by just changing carb and that's easy.
My Honda trimmer die 8 months in, they claimed I use old gas, it was about 3 weeks old, I opened the carb and found metal fragments inside that block the jets!!!! It was defective from the factory.

I bought my Maruyama HT2321 30" for $389, no tax, no shipping. It is every bit as good as the Stihl and $140 less after tax. I am ahead no matter how you look at it. So I need two carb down the road, that will be even. But if you have to bring it in, it would be $150 a pop.

headz77
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Subscribe
Posted via Mobile Device