PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for mulch ?

LawnMowerKing10
03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
One of my customers recently ordered mulch from the Boyscouts. They delivered the mulch and all I need to do is spread it. How much should I charge? Should I charge per bag ? Any help is much appreciated.

THEGOLDPRO
03-26-2012, 06:23 PM
One of my customers recently ordered mulch from the Boyscouts. They delivered the mulch and all I need to do is spread it. How much should I charge? Should I charge per bag ? Any help is much appreciated.
here is a great place to check.
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php

knox gsl
03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
We have boyscouts cutting in on our game now? I thought they sold crappy popcorn in front of walmart, why are they selling mulch?

LawnMowerKing10
03-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Yep. Here the boyscouts deliver the mulch. It's crazy. Yet, we don't get those delicious Girl Scout cookies anymore.

airsoft1779
03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
For smaller residential yards labor is $25 per cubic yard of mulch. More if the travel time to and from the beds to the trailer is alot or if really detailed work. Most of my yards are smaller and require 6-10 yards usually and this will give me around $50 an hour by myself unless its detail work.

THEGOLDPRO
03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
I charge $65 per yard (labor only) to install the mulch plus the cost of mulch, So if i put down 10 yards of mulch i make $650 bucks on the labor. Plus an extra $300-350 for the cost of mulch depending what kind of mulch they want. So my typical 10 yard mulch job costs $980.00+tax installed. 10 yards will take our crew of 3 guys 3 hours tops.

But then again im in CT where people make more money then like 96.4% of the rest of the united states so we charge more money for stuff.

douglee25
03-29-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm right around where you are Goldpro.

Doug

The Grounds Crew
03-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Our company orders the mulch and ships it in. We mark up the product plus charge for hauling in fee. And through experience we charge one hour worth of labor for every yard of mulch. But that includes hauling it to the beds and spreading it. And for you, I would take how many yards there are and make each yard equivalent to your hourly wage.

It is a very profitable service if you place the order and have your own dump truck to haul it. Your are able to mark up the material cost, the hauling in cost, plust the labor cost.

greenstar lawn
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
As long as there is not much prep work in beds then i charge 90 a yard. I pay 32 dollars per yard of mulch at the supply yard
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I charge $65 per yard (labor only) to install the mulch plus the cost of mulch, So if i put down 10 yards of mulch i make $650 bucks on the labor. Plus an extra $300-350 for the cost of mulch depending what kind of mulch they want. So my typical 10 yard mulch job costs $980.00+tax installed. 10 yards will take our crew of 3 guys 3 hours tops.

But then again im in CT where people make more money then like 96.4% of the rest of the united states so we charge more money for stuff.
I'm priced similar to you and greenstar.
As long as there is not much prep work in beds then i charge 90 a yard. I pay 32 dollars per yard of mulch at the supply yard
Posted via Mobile Device

I base estimates off of 90 per yard as well with little to no prep. I get it for $27 a yard of double shredded dyed mulch. If the beds are really bad, my labor rate will obviously go up.

DLM155
03-29-2012, 11:43 PM
I charge $50/yard installed. This is me taking it from my truck and putting it in the bed, if they want it weeded or some other form of prep thats an entirely separate charge. I pay $15 per yard for mulch. My price goes up if the property is exceptionally difficult (super long wheelbarrel trips, uphill both ways, ect). I work solo, if you have a crew to pay you will likely need to charge more to be profitable.

douglee25
03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Here is what really adds to the time spent on mulching for me... bed prep.

I typically like to use a bed edger. Years ago when I was too cheap to rent one or just didn't have the money, I would do it with a spade. Now today I'll rent one from Sunbelt and pass this off as a 'General Condition' line item cost. The problem with a bed edger is that you're likely taking off more surrounding grass from outside the bed. Now when you're done edging, you need to go back, rake the stuff up, weed out the grass, and spread the remaining dirt. If there are bushes or hedges in those beds that needed trimming, you'll likely be raking that debris into the mix too. Add in even more time to your estimate. It's one of those catch 22's so to speak. I grossly underestimated a job just a week ago that I completed. The house was 5000 sq. ft with an acre property. The property had a ton of beds and it was deceiving large. The beds were in very decent shape. There wasn't a ton of weeding for the most part. I estimated the bed edging at two hours. That was on the money. The cleanup I estimated at 2 or 3. WRONG! Cleanup ending up taking 11-12 hours. Live and learn.

Doug