PDA

View Full Version : mower in trailer

Rainbird
03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
I just upgrade from a push mower to a toro grandstand and enclosed trailer. Should the grandstand be tied down in the trailer for short, low speed drives, about 25mph. Just started last year, and am still learing.

cash2406
03-26-2012, 11:02 PM
I have an open trailer, but I just push the wheel chalk between the deck and front caster. Seems to work well even on the interstate. Hope it helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
My personal feeling is that straps will do very little in a higher speed, serious accident. With that said, I don't think that is an area to slack on.

I strap my equipment anytime I am going down the road. If I go on the highway for any distance, I make sure to add extra straps. But even just traveling a few minutes down the street (even at 25-35mph) I still strap my equipment down.

A wheel chalk or parking brake will not stop an 800lb mower should you get in an accident. A 25mph crash can create a great deal of force and when your truck stops dead in its tracks from 25mph, your mower will still be travelling at 25mph and the wall on your enclosed trailer isn't going to do much to stop your mower. "An object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by some outside force".

In other words, just strap your equipment down all the time. Can be very dangerous to not strap should you get in an accident, whether it be at 25mph or 65mph.

StanWilhite
03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
A wheel chock will be fine for driving around on city streets but I would definitely strap a mower down for hwy driving. It may take a little extra time but it will pay off big time if you have an accident at hwy speed.

StanWilhite
03-26-2012, 11:51 PM
A wheel chock will be fine for driving around on city streets but I would definitely strap a mower down for hwy driving. It may take a little extra time but it will pay off big time if you have an accident at hwy speed.

I should have added that I would make sure the straps I used were strong enough to hold a zero turn during a crash at a reasonable speed.

JCLawn and more
03-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Should it be, yes! Would you get a ticket if a cop saw you without one, yes! Do i sometimes get lazy and not to it cuz it adds time, yes! Has a cop pulled me over yet for no straps, no! In my experience mower wonder on the trailer with no straps if you clipping along. I know if I got in an accident straps would only really help in a side impact, but it you roll over its not going to make a difference. It would take a lot for my mower to slide forward. If i got both mowers in my trailer and it takes up all the space i worry less about it cuz it can move a foot at most. That being said strap up, its safer, but personally I would not bother for a mile or 2.

RiverfrontLawnCare
03-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Should it be, yes! Would you get a ticket if a cop saw you without one, yes! Do i sometimes get lazy and not to it cuz it adds time, yes! Has a cop pulled me over yet for no straps, no! In my experience mower wonder on the trailer with no straps if you clipping along. I know if I got in an accident straps would only really help in a side impact, but it you roll over its not going to make a difference. It would take a lot for my mower to slide forward. If i got both mowers in my trailer and it takes up all the space i worry less about it cuz it can move a foot at most. That being said strap up, its safer, but personally I would not bother for a mile or 2.

Could not agree more. I got pulled over last week and the cop was a dick and gave me a ticket for not having straps on EVERY mower. But that being said, the law is the law.

JCLawn and more
03-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Could not agree more. I got pulled over last week and the cop was a dick and gave me a ticket for not having straps on EVERY mower. But that being said, the law is the law.

Ya i have had cops follow me, pass me, watch me drive by, and everything. No one has said anything yet. Sorry for the mess of typos.

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I have yet to be or seen anyone in this area of service get pulled over..

I started slacking and not straping my equipment down last year and lost two new trimmers that I had for one day. This season EVERYTHING is getting secured on the trailer.

JABBERS
03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
i have a 20 ft enclosed and my mowers barely move except for my small 21 inch mowers and my walk blowers. i just chalk the wheels on the stuff that moves.

BestImpressions99
03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
If you're going to be truly safe you need to strap it down. We've stopped strapping at low speeds so much now. If you drive on a turnpike or highway you need to strap it because of the thing will FLY if you get hit.

mtmower
03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Laws may differ from state to state. I believe in MT if you sides on your trailer, even 10" rails your not required to strap down. Of course this is the state that had no speed limits for a time and open container just got implemented about five years ago so we didn't loose out on gov. monies for roads.:dizzy:

For me it depends more on the equipment. My ZTRs I've never strapped down. They are pretty snug on the trailer. Even on massive bumps and high speed maneuvers they've never moved. If they have it would have been an inch or so, so not to be noticeable.

My push mower, hydro walk behind, aerators, tiller, sprayer/fertilizer all move unless tied down. Luckily these are items I use with much less frequency.

Rainbird
03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the help, i will be strapping down my grandstand in the enclosed trailer. How should i do this, no hooks, ect inside trailer. Should i drill o hooks to the side or floor for tie downs. What dose everyone else do?

ed2hess
03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the help, i will be strapping down my grandstand in the enclosed trailer. How should i do this, no hooks, ect inside trailer. Should i drill o hooks to the side or floor for tie downs. What dose everyone else do?

That mower has brakes on it right? You can angle the front to the right to
keep it from bouncing into somethign in front of it. Since you got a closed trailer it ain't going to fall out:dizzy: For us it is to much trouble to go 30 timers a day in/out/unhook/hook.