PDA

View Full Version : woke up to a call from the fire battalion chief

The Lighting Geek
03-26-2012, 09:26 PM
This what I found Sunday 9am when I got to my warehouse. Total loss. It appears it started in the battery compartment. I did not have coverage for the trailer but the building and equipment are covered. Check your policies everyone and make sure you are covered. Trailers generally need separate coverage and so does your tools. This was a freak thing.

Fortunately the fire was contained in the trailer other than smoke damage. The fire department was changing shifts and saw the black smoke coming out the turret vent a couple blocks away and that saved the building. The truck attached was unharmed, crazy!

Estimate is around 25k for trailer and equipment and don't know about the damage to the building, ie: cut 3 holes in the roof and 1 in roll up door 4' x 4', and bashed the walk through door in, and smoke damage.

KrayzKajun
03-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Glad the damage was minimal.
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
03-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Tommy you have to worst luck. If something isnt getting stolen one day your trailer is catching on fire the next.

Good luck rebuilding and replacing

Lite4
03-27-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm sorry Tommy, that sucks! What a freak thing. Wonder what was the fire instigator in the trailer.

Classic Lighting
03-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Matt is right, you've had the worst luck. On the bright side, the trailer contained the fire from the structure. It's a lot cheaper to replace a trailer than a warehouse.

David Gretzmier
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Very sorry for your loss. I hope insurance is there for you to help you be able to re build it bigger, better, stronger, faster. The only joy I have ever had through tragedy is the thought of building new and making it better.

LLC RI
04-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Man that's a bummer and a freaky thing to happen... from a battery???

A note about insurance to all you guys.... because the nature of our businesses is that we take our 'show on the road' , we take our tools and equipment to the clients property ( as opposed to having a store and people come to us)... it is imperative that you all check on getting Inland Marine coverage on your vehicle contents, tools and equipment. This coverage will bail your ass out in cases where your standard shop/garage - contents coverages will not cover you.

Back in 2010 here in Rhode Island, we had the big flood of the century. My shop and vehicles for both of my businesses got 30 inches of water in them. It was almost a total loss. My regular business policies were of no use because a natural disaster like a over flowing river, is not covered. The saving grace for me were my inland marine policies which covered the contents of my truck, my truck, my trailer and the equipment /inventory that was flooded in my shop.

Tommy... suggestion... your next trailer, besides video cams to catch the thieves, might I suggest a fire suppression system ;-)

The Lighting Geek
04-08-2012, 01:52 AM
I think it is important to note that most regular business policies do not cover you for the most common things like fire, flood, etc. You should have an 'inland marine' policy or business owners policy in addition to your general liability policy. Even then many do not cover your vehicles, trailers, or anything registered for the road. The whole point of my original post was to bring to light what LLC RI said basically: check your coverages with your broker and make sure your hiny is covered.

1idejim
04-28-2012, 11:03 AM
a few years ago one of my backhoes caught fire at 3am, sitting on my low bed trailer.

backhoe and trailer were a total loss, scorched the dump truck parked along side of the semi.

same situation, electrical/battery caused the fire. we now install main disconnects on all equipment.

hope all comes together well for you :)
ironic, the cause was low voltage :confused:

jsslawncare
04-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a friend that lost his shop to a battery charger. Inside was- 3 55' chevy's 1 65' Corvette, a bass boat and 6 over hot rods that wasn't his. He also had about 10 engine's sitting on stands. All gone. 1 was a 1968 428SCJ. I almost cried when we loaded the 428 in the scrape bin. Total loss was at almost half a million. All he had was home owner's which covered almost nothing. Only one person tried to sue him. So, I feel for you.

starry night
04-29-2012, 03:36 PM
jss: your signature reminds of the story of the two friends who each pulls into the gas station at the same time. They're pumping gas. The one said, "Look at this old truck of mine, has 142,000 miles on it, needs repairs. I really think I ought to sell it while I can still get a few bucks out of it."

His friend said, "If you're gonna sell it, you oughta' go see my cousin Ray. He can take care of your odometer and make it show a lot less miles."

A couple weeks later they see each other again. One friend says "I see you still have the old truck. Haven't been able to sell it?" His buddy replies "Heck, why would I sell it? I took it to Ray and now it only has 50 thousand on it."

jsslawncare
05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
jss: your signature reminds of the story of the two friends who each pulls into the gas station at the same time. They're pumping gas. The one said, "Look at this old truck of mine, has 142,000 miles on it, needs repairs. I really think I ought to sell it while I can still get a few bucks out of it."

His friend said, "If you're gonna sell it, you oughta' go see my cousin Ray. He can take care of your odometer and make it show a lot less miles."

A couple weeks later they see each other again. One friend says "I see you still have the old truck. Haven't been able to sell it?" His buddy replies "Heck, why would I sell it? I took it to Ray and now it only has 50 thousand on it."

That did make me laugh. Both of the mower's are 1999 model's and when something need's replacing, I just fix it and move on. So this past winter I ordered new decal's and the Ferris red was too high so I painted them both IH red. Now they remind me of the days when I was younger working for my grandfather riding around in his 1968 loadstar 1700 which is the same color.(I learned how to drive a staight shift on this truck) Oh, how I wish for one day in that dumptruck with him.