PDA

View Full Version : 4 mix guards

Z's Lawncare
03-26-2012, 09:26 PM
i have a stifl fs110r and it about 2 years old and i want to take the guard off but worried about it causing problems with the engine. let me know if it cause problems and if you take them off

mikeypizano
03-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Not another one of these threads....

ed2hess
03-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I got three Shindwaw 4 mix and had the guard off for two years. The only thing is the drive pads wear a lot faster. But I think yours is steel so that shouldn't be a problem.

cgaengineer
03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
No probs...take em off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Z's Lawncare
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
thks for the repplies iv heard the valves get over heated on 4 mixs i guess not

cgaengineer
03-28-2012, 05:38 PM
thks for the repplies iv heard the valves get over heated on 4 mixs i guess not

They can only get so hot...it's air cooled. Don't listen to people who know nothing about engines.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
They can only get so hot...it's air cooled. Don't listen to people who know nothing about engines.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you saying air cooled engines can't overheat?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Are you saying air cooled engines can't overheat?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, but as long as the fins are clean and it's not running lean it will be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-28-2012, 05:55 PM
No, but as long as the fins are clean and it's not running lean it will be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Because air cooled engines definitely can overheat and be over worked. They can only move so much air over the fins and on a 100 degree day can overheat. I have personally done it.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Because air cooled engines definitely can overheat and be over worked. They can only move so much air over the fins and on a 100 degree day can overheat. I have personally done it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never "overheated" one in even 105 degree temps...whats ypu definition of overheated?

Was the engine detonating? Locked up?
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Never "overheated" one in even 105 degree temps...whats ypu definition of overheated?

Was the engine detonating? Locked up?
Posted via Mobile Device

The engine will start to loose power and rpm's. It takes a lot but I have done it a couple times trimming a hill side for 3-4 hours wide open. Let it cool down for 10 minutes and it's fine. It will seize if not allowed to cool or even scuff the exhaust port side of the piston.
Posted via Mobile Device

Z's Lawncare
03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
i know its a risk when its 1 100 degress but i have a graveyard that takes 4 hrs to trim would this wear it out without a guard

cgaengineer
03-28-2012, 08:01 PM
i know its a risk when its 1 100 degress but i have a graveyard that takes 4 hrs to trim would this wear it out without a guard

No...it will be fine. No guard is like running the engine under a load...it just makes engine work harder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Z's Lawncare
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
thats true and it makes the trimmer so much lighter

ed2hess
03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

In field experience in Texas with 3 months over 100F and some weeks over 110F and no failures. But these were not stihl and we all know they are homeowner product right?:laugh: Just kidding stihl is a fine product. Many of our units might go 30-40 minutes at a time on commericial. Take em off.

PLS-Tx
03-29-2012, 02:49 AM
Guards :confused::confused:

Oh, that must be that little thing we take off and throw away as soon as we pick up a new trimmer. :laugh:

cgaengineer
03-29-2012, 07:42 PM
In field experience in Texas with 3 months over 100F and some weeks over 110F and no failures. But these were not stihl and we all know they are homeowner product right?:laugh: Just kidding stihl is a fine product. Many of our units might go 30-40 minutes at a time on commericial. Take em off.

I don't buy the overheating thing either...we use our stuff for miles of edging and trimming at a time, only shutting down to refill or change string and blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
03-29-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't buy the overheating thing either...we use our stuff for miles of edging and trimming at a time, only shutting down to refill or change string and blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you tried using one of those edgers instead of trimmer on those long runs? I know the shortcomings in that you can end up walking half mile to get another tool to finish the job but was thinking it might be easier to use an edger? I tried one of the add on edgers and I thought I was going to have a muscle spasm.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-29-2012, 10:19 PM
i have a stifl fs110r and it about 2 years old and i want to take the guard off but worried about it causing problems with the engine. let me know if it cause problems and if you take them off

I have 3 FS110 run no guard since they was new 3 yrs ago
But I run poly cut 40 heads fix string heads

If you run a bumper feed head then might want keep the guard on so dont over feed andwrap around ur leg

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Since 1985 I never over heated a trimmer I have over heated myself
If temps hit 100 + Im not trimming in the heat