PDA

View Full Version : Need help bidding an entrance way

Chad@LebanonTurf
12-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Needing some help estimating an entranceway that is approximately 2.5-3.0 miles long w/ a median in about a fourth of it. Flat out cutting mostly. Have been in business for over twelve years but have never estimated anything this large or complex to bid on. Any ideas?

baddboygeorge
12-11-2002, 08:36 PM
give me more details on the property like the width an if you are trimming an blowing as well let me the the scoop an i will give ya the low down

Esby
12-11-2002, 08:42 PM
What is the width of the mowing area? How long exactly is the entrance?

Chad@LebanonTurf
12-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. THe majority of the mowing is on either side of a large entanceway to a resort about 2.5 miles long. The width varies from 30 feet up to 60-70 feet. There would be very little string trimming , although a great deal of edging. I was referred to this job through an excellent customer of mine, so I hate to not bid on it. It is a fairly low maintenance job requiring no aerating, fertilizing, etc. It does include spreading 1200 bales of pinestraw around all the tree rings twice per year. I am thinking about putting two guys on the job 4-5 days per week. WHat do you think? Thanks

Fantasy Lawns
12-11-2002, 09:04 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/Hampton_Hedge.jpg

Something kinda similar ... gotta break it down into man hours ....this photo is 1/3 of 1 side ...both sides is about 2 miles of turf n edging (curb, sidewalk n beds is total of 3x) the hedge runs 1 full mile

Taking such a project n relating it to each task to be performed ....number of occasions ( for us hedging is 4 times ....edging every other visit ...mowing 42 times ...hand weeding is x hr's monthly n palms are each spring) ....come up with the yearly manhours ....multiple by rate ....divide by 12 for our monthly charge ....n the statement of additional service's will require seperate invoicing (such as mulch or fert)

The idea of 2 or 3 Guys 4 or 5 days is a great way to secure a "high maintanence" job ....such as at a resort ....as you are flexiable to "fix" things thru out the week ==> Good Luck

This photo is in Jan 2002

baddboygeorge
12-11-2002, 09:11 PM
well here we go ya have to mow 2.5 miles long an i can cut on avereage of 5 mph so you can go up an back in one hour .lets avereage that it is fifty foot wide if you have a 60 inch cut you have to go down an back 5 times to make up the fifty foot .so in five hours you could have this cut .give yourself a couple hours of leway like around trees over curbs etc. so lets say 7 hours on the mowing i would give myself another 7 hours for trimming blowing etc so thats a total of 14 hours i get a minimum of 50 an hour so thats 700 a week for the job . get two men an cut the hours in half . on the pine straw i give 7.95 a bale an i charge 7.95 to lay just double the price of the product if they supply the straw now if you have to supply charge the hourly rate to pick up an transport the product an they double the price of the product to lay.let me know if ya have any questions thanks george