PDA

View Full Version : Blind Mosquitos

Johnagain
03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Is there anything that can control them. I have thousands around my house and on the doors. Every time I open the door hundreds get inside. I can handle a few days of this but it's been going on for over a week. I'm going to spray Bifen and Imidacloprid for other insects. Will this help in anyway? I was always told that you can't do anything for them but I have never had them this bad.

jvanvliet
03-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Do you have standing water near your property?

Johnagain
03-27-2012, 07:31 AM
I have a small lake but it's about 400ft from the house.

jvanvliet
03-27-2012, 08:18 AM
That's probably where they breed. Spraying Bifertin and Imidacloprid to your property will only offer temporary relief.

Ric
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM

John

Don't waste your money thinking Imidacloprid will help control Mosquitoes. It will bind with any thing organic and not be effective on non sucking insects.

Mosquitoes need moisture and ill dry out fast if in direct sun light. They have a very short flying distance because they dry out so easy. So Target Shrubs and trees around your home as Mosquito habitat or shade. Trimming or day lighting should also help. But try and understand the life cycle so you can better target the Pest is the first rule of Pest Control. It is not WHAT you use but how you USE it that counts.

PS look into Aquatic labeled Mineral Oil as a Dunk for large surface areas like ponds. Once again understanding the Life Cycle and interrupting it is the key to pest control.

jvanvliet
03-27-2012, 05:33 PM

John

Don't waste your money thinking Imidacloprid will help control Mosquitoes. It will bind with any thing organic and not be effective on non sucking insects.

Mosquitoes need moisture and ill dry out fast if in direct sun light. They have a very short flying distance because they dry out so easy. So Target Shrubs and trees around your home as Mosquito habitat or shade. Trimming or day lighting should also help. But try and understand the life cycle so you can better target the Pest is the first rule of Pest Control. It is not WHAT you use but how you USE it that counts.

PS look into Aquatic labeled Mineral Oil as a Dunk for large surface areas like ponds. Once again understanding the Life Cycle and interrupting it is the key to pest control.

Ric,

You think he may want to check local ordinances before treating the water, even with mineral oil even if it's on his own property?

Down here we're in the Lake Worth Water Management District and they go bats if you so much as drop a branch in the water.

Ric
03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Ric,

You think he may want to check local ordinances before treating the water, even with mineral oil even if it's on his own property?

Down here we're in the Lake Worth Water Management District and they go bats if you so much as drop a branch in the water.

Job

I am Aquatic certified under Chapter 487 of Florida law. and I am Mosquito Certified under Chapter 355 of Florida Law. Mineral oil is labeled as a Mosquito Larvaicide. Any More Questions

jvanvliet
03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Job

I am Aquatic certified under Chapter 487 of Florida law. and I am Mosquito Certified under Chapter 355 of Florida Law. Mineral oil is labeled as a Mosquito Larvaicide. Any More Questions

Ric:

Was just asking... pest control and water is a touchy subject.

Maybe one more question, does he need to be Aquatic certified or can he do it himself on his own property & what if the water is connected to FL Water Management?

Ric
03-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Ric:

Was just asking... pest control and water is a touchy subject.

Maybe one more question, does he need to be Aquatic certified or can he do it himself on his own property & what if the water is connected to FL Water Management?

Job C.

Aquatic work is Real big business here in Florida, However. Florida law in it's infinite wisdom made me get a 4 year degree in Horticulture to kill dandelions in a lawn but anyone can spray Herbicide and Algaecide in our water supply without a license of any kind. Under Chapter 487 My Aquatic Certification is so I can purchase and use aquatic RUP (Restricted Use Pesticides). However there are NO Aquatic RUP pesticides registered in the state of Florida. BTW any one can sit for the Aquatic Test and pass it. It was designed for County wage slaves to pass.

The reason I have the Aquatic Cert is most HOA, etc require it. Also once a body of water has Surface area of 10 acres or more a permit to treat from the water district is required and a cert is required. Purchase of Biological controls like Grass eating Carp also require a Aquatic certification.

Lawnsite's Pond forum only addresses pond construction. But pond or water management is a whole other ball game which I will not claim to be an expert by any means. I don't market Aquatic weed control but I have several accounts and it is a huge Industry. Companies like Lake Doctor are State wide and do 7 figures a year. I have two different boats I use to spray ponds. One is only a 8 ft Jon boat that I can hand carry to a smaller pond. The other is a 13' 6" on a trailer That I use on larger Lakes. BTW That is nice work because I just sit under a Bimini Top and Spray while a Trolling Motor guides me around the lake.

Smaller Ponds a back pack sprayer or even a small ATV with a 12V sprayer works great. But with a boat you don't have issues with private property and peoples yards. You do have issues with low water this time of year during out dry season. Just yesterday I sprayed a Small pond that is down 3 ft which left me a 10 ft wide bare lake bottom with weeds to spray. I used a ATV and 12V sprayer.

jvanvliet
03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Good grief!

Ric
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Good grief!

Job

Here is something to think about.

Each treatment Lake Doctor charges $ 0.15 a lineal ft to spray lake banks for Weeds. Do the Math, that is $ 650 an acre, if that lineal ft is 10 ft wide. $ 1300 if only 5 ft wide. AND it is all done sitting down in a boat with a bimini top.

Now if it was as easy as I am making sound, everyone would be doing it. There a lot of hoops to jump than meets the eye here. Think a second, Why would I post the prices etc and flood the market? We already have a ton more grass cutters than we need.