PDA

View Full Version : Old Lesco Aerator 30"

Shady Brook
12-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Can anyone give me opinions on an old Lesco 30" aerator? The tines are out front, and have some type of setup with a couple wheels out in front of the tines. The tines are different then the Lawnairs and stuff, but are core type. Do these work well, and good or bad anyone could share.

I appreciate it.

Jay

dreamertex
12-11-2002, 09:48 PM
picture had to be resubmitted, lets try again

dreamertex
12-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Jay, here is a picture of my aerator, I believe it is like the one you are talking about. It is a good starter unit and I have been happy with the results it has produced for me. It will also give you a good workout as it does take some man handling unlike the newer ones. I just moved up to a Rock Solid Plugr so I'll be saying good bye to this one soon.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
12-11-2002, 09:55 PM
that looks like it could get away from you...LOOK OUT:blob3:

Shady Brook
12-11-2002, 10:11 PM
That looks alot like it, the one I saw had two wheels that were out in front. Are the wheels just for transport? Does it take good deep plugs? How does it compare to the Ryan's and Toro type units as far as manuverability and quality? Great pic, and thanks for the post.

Jay

Runner
12-11-2002, 10:25 PM
These machines are nothing but awesome. This thing just walks. As far as the casters on the front, yes, they belong on there. There are two settings for the pin, one for tranport and storage. (like for rolling it around on the cement) and the othe pin setting that raises the wheel all the way up for operation. YOu could also take the caster arm right of if you wanted, plus, this allowed the machine to get up close to things. I see this one has a bar welded to it for added weight, which may work decent, but what I did, was tie a couple of old plastic barbell weights together and I would "hang" them over the front of the caster bar where the T was. THey stayed well, and because the weight was so far out in front, it made penetration and operation ALOT easier. Without any weight at all, you would find that you had to sort of lift up on the top of the handles to keep the spoonwheel digging. All in all, this machine is a great unit, and if you have a chance to buy one, what is the asking price, if you don't mind me asking?

Premo Services
12-11-2002, 10:28 PM
:eek: The handles look like they would be a real PITA after areating a lot of lawns. They look like they would not be too comfortable to me.

Shady Brook
12-11-2002, 10:34 PM
Runner,

He wants $200 for it. Is it easy to get parts for that unit? Does it move at a decent pace? How does it do on Hills? Great post, thanks so much for all that super info.

Jay

Barkleymut
12-12-2002, 11:15 AM
I have one that I bought in 98 and no longer use. You will likely not need replacement parts as it is pretty tough. The only thing that needs maintenance is a couple of grease points and the typical engine stuff. $200 sounds like a super low price. I would make sure it operates ok and then jump on it. That weight bar that has been added seems like a great addition. The front wheels only get in the way in my opinion. It does move at a good pace and does fine on hills but not quite as well as a Ryan or Claussen unit where the tines in the back. The handles are not designed perfectly but it is not a really heavy unit so it is not really uncomfortable. It will not "get away from you" If you disengage the transmission it will stop unless you are on some crazy slope going straight down.

KLMlawn
12-12-2002, 02:20 PM
If it is clean, aside from sctraches and what you would consider normal wear and tear, $200 sounds like a great price. I have used them and I am not as opposed to them as much as some other members on this site. They do a good job and even though they might be larger and look a bit clumsy to operate, they really aren't that bad. It would be a good starter unit, till you can upgrade to something else ... it will make you money!

dreamertex
12-12-2002, 08:03 PM
Jay if your this is in decent running order I would jump on it. I would not think about selling mine for that. Heck, just renting it out to local neighbors would give me that much in return. As far as operating it, the best description I can give is, it is like a front mount roto tiller without having to hold it back. Hills, like most units are more difficult if not running horizontilly.

Shady Brook
12-12-2002, 11:54 PM
You guys are great!

Thanks so much for all of your great and informative comments. I feel much more at ease. My dealer who sells Ryan, Toro, and Bluebird said today the Lesco is junk, and you can't get parts for it. This makes me think it will be a great machine.:p I think I will have an aerator in my future.

Again, much thanks
Jay

BBALLTURF
12-20-2002, 11:16 AM
HAHAHA, IT WILL GIVE YOU A WORKOUT I HAVE OWNED ONE BEFORE AND SOLD IT TO UPGRADE TO LESCO'S 26" SPLIT DRIVE. NOW, THE SPLIT DRIVE IS A COOL MACHINE! GOOD LUCK!

Barkleymut
12-20-2002, 12:15 PM
BBTURF- I agree the Claussen split drive is a superior machine. I think its the best Walk behind aerator available. BUT it costs around $3000. This aerator can be had for $200. I have one of these Lesco 30's and the thing is very tough.

ksland
03-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Can someone tell me what brand the aerator is in the picture in this thread? I just got one and would like to know what it is.

Pecker
03-28-2004, 09:05 PM
By the way, how'd you find a used aerator? I didn't think they even existed!

Shady Brook
03-28-2004, 09:05 PM
ksland

I believe it is an old Lesco.

Jay

ksland
03-28-2004, 09:10 PM
After re-reading the posts I got that idea also, LOL

Sorry for being a dumbazz:o

Runner
03-29-2004, 12:16 AM
Yep,... a Lesco. I'll say it again, that it's a great machine. As far as some of the questions that didn't get answered, how fast is it? It moves at a pretty good clip. A brisk walking speed. Hills? It'll walk up any hill you put it on (or IN). Again, if you have this machine, the one good thing that the "T" for the casters in front is good for, is hanging weights over. This machine tends to cause a little bit of shoulder fatigue after awhile, to keep the front end down, so the tines penetrate well. With weights hanging (short) on the front, this helps counter that, and makes operation alot easier. There is really nothing to worry about replacing. Everything is standard. The belts, pulley, sprockets, chain, and even the tines. I think there are other brands that make tines that will fit these disks.