PDA

View Full Version : grasshopper725g2

grassdaddy
12-11-2002, 07:59 PM
i got my heart set on anew ztr this spring.its came down to either the turftiger 27hp liquid cooled kaw. or a grasshopper725g2 with 25hp kubota liquid cool gas. the new outfront hopg2 now runs 10.5mph.i need some experienced feedback.:rolleyes:

FS Lawn
12-11-2002, 08:09 PM
I got a 928g2 about 8 months ago and love it. It is a very good machine and well worth the price.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
12-11-2002, 08:19 PM
I know that grsshopper did make an excelent mower some years ago(5yrs)although they did get left behind by the other manufactures.I havent seen the new ones but if I remember correctly those mowers were very long and bulky.

sirsweatsalot
12-11-2002, 09:12 PM
go grass hopper the really suck (in a good way) the cut is good and there bagging systems are excellent.
if not a grass hopper i would go walker!

Mowingman
12-11-2002, 09:40 PM
The Grasshopper midmounts are also excellent machines. I have two of them. One is the 428D with a 72" deck. The other is a 321D with a 60" deck. They also make the midmount with that same 25hp Kubota engine. :D

therainman
12-12-2002, 02:52 AM
I have a 725g2 also,
If you are a solo this is an excellent machine. Greta comfort good power baggers do work very well. The modle 25 bagger is a bit to large though, nice to not have to dump as often, but it is too heavy. The unit will not hold hills full, not very well emopty really.

If you have employees go with something else.... I will be going to all exmark soon. Their design is much more simple than the grasshopper. The grasshopper has wear point on the deck that, if a lot of hours are put on this machine will need to be changed out yearly.

We put about 740 hrs on one this year and you can tell.

shawn

yacht
12-12-2002, 07:59 AM
I have owned a 725g2 for a year now and have had overall good experience. The machine runs well, stripes well, cuts well and overall performs well. I prefer the out fronts because they eliminate alot of trimming for my properties.

I did have a main oil seal on the engine leak. Dealer picked it up 2 different times before fixing it. Then I was doing a leaf job and something ripped off the fluid return line for the hydros. Turns out that the hoses are dangling and completely exposed only 3 or 4 inches from the ground with no attachment to the frame. Any fixed object on the ground that grabs that hose will easily rip it off. Grasshopper gave me parts under warranty...good thing too the hydro reservoir holds 10 quarts of fluid @ $28.00/quart.

I also have the model 15 collector and that paid for itself and then some in just one season.

yourlawnguy
12-12-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by therainman
If you have employees go with something else.... I will be going to all exmark soon. Their design is much more simple than the grasshopper. The grasshopper has wear point on the deck that, if a lot of hours are put on this machine will need to be changed out yearly. ...
shawn
I agree with Shawn, Grasshopper has a great cut and is easy to handle but my deck was ready for replacement after 2 years. It has way to many wear points and no bushings to replace before the damage gets to far. Asthe pivot points start to wear the cut becomes uneven and there's nothing you can do about it.

tranum
12-12-2002, 02:50 PM
i have both machines you listed, but the hopper has the diesel engine.
i agree with all the positives & all the negatives that have been mentioned about the g/h. with that being said, i will take a mid-mount z over a front mount mower any day. scag takes a little "heat" on this forum, but i have 2 & think they are fine machines for my operation. regardless of the brand, i believe a mid-mount is a much more productive mower. my .02

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 02:37 AM
Well I will say these things...

(1) I do agree about the outfront deck. I've seen a few around with plenty of hours logged. Some have real sloppy decks now.

(2) They hold hills! I saw it with my own eyes and was surprised.

(3) I saw some slap wicked stripes laid down by one on a thread in one of these forums.

(4) The mid-mounts look solid and have a good rep here. Got deep pockets? Go after that diesel mid mount. I think you will like!

Please keep me informed! I'd like to know what you think. I'll get around to my Grasshopper demo some day, too busy now :(

yacht
12-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Yeah the decks do get sloppy. The dealer informed me of that upfront. There is a plastic bushing where the deck and tractor meet that in only about 80 to 90 hours will slightly misform and cause a slight sloppiness in the deck. I have 150 hours on my machine and the sloppiness is not bad enough yet to replace the bushings. They are about $30 to replace. I also should mention that the 725G2 with 48" dozer blade is one mean show pushin machine! We got 12" of snow out of that last storm and I pushed snow with my grasshopper with no problems. I always look forward to those snow storms cuz I get to plow the neighbors driveways. I even do it for free.

SDlawndawg
12-13-2002, 09:07 AM
I've always run grasshoppers. Everyone is right about the wear points on the out front deck. Every winter I had to replace bushings and fabricate bushings where the factory neglected to install them. The deck tweaks very easily. The main problem I had was the PTO driveshaft. The pillow block bearings would always wear no matter how much grease I put to them. Then the bearing race would spin on the shaft and wear a groove into it. I hated that design.

I bought a mid-mount with a 52" deck and 25hp Kohler engine. It has a peco 5hp vacuum on it which kicks *** on cleanups. The problem with my mid-mount is it's too heavy which makes it tricky on hills and tends to tear the turf if I'm not careful.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by SDlawndawg
I bought a mid-mount with a 52" deck and 25hp Kohler engine. It has a peco 5hp vacuum on it which kicks *** on cleanups. The problem with my mid-mount is it's too heavy which makes it tricky on hills and tends to tear the turf if I'm not careful.

Does the peco make it too heavy or do you feel the machine itself is too heavy?

SDlawndawg
12-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Good question. I used my mid-mount without the bagger the first two months I owned it and noticed the weight problem. It wouldn't stick to hills like my old k-series hopper. When the peco system was installed, it didn't make much of a difference. BUT, when the bin is full look out. Especially if the grass is wet. After years of use, I have gotten used to manuevering it when it's full.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 03:18 PM
SDlawndawg,

Humm....:confused: I have a demo scheduled on the new 218-48" and the 225-52". Maybe I should swap the 52" for the 225-61" since it has the larger 24x12x12 drive tires and only weights like 60 lbs more? Which tread are you running, turf or bar???

grassdaddy,

Sorry for hijacking your thread with my questions :blush:

SDlawndawg
12-13-2002, 04:52 PM
I have 23x10.50 Turfmasters. Second set.

I think the problem is not only the fact it is heavy (1,000lbs I think?) but it has bad weight distribution. The drive tires are too far back compared to the K series. The front tires bear much of the weight.

bob
12-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by yacht
There is a plastic bushing where the deck and tractor meet that in only about 80 to 90 hours will slightly misform and cause a slight sloppiness in the deck. I have 150 hours on my machine and the sloppiness is not bad enough yet to replace the bushings. They are about $30 to replace.

Who's charging you $30. These nylon bushings are about $6 a pair. I'll use one or two pairs in a season.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by SDlawndawg
I have 23x10.50 Turfmasters. Second set.

I think the problem is not only the fact it is heavy (1,000lbs I think?) but it has bad weight distribution. The drive tires are too far back compared to the K series. The front tires bear much of the weight.

I'm not familiar with the K series.

The literature package Grasshopper sent me says 1010 lbs. That's actually lighter than most 52" ZTR's. But things are shifted pretty far forward on them. There isn't much hanging out behind the tires. The operator, gas tank and such are out in front of the tires.

The 300 & 400 series diesels would probably be totally different. In fact, I've be told they are balanced excellent.

However, the dealer here also swears by the 200 series. He says the slope performance is superior to any other mid mount. He said to go out and demo everything but Grasshopper & Great Dane. He said, then we'll take both of these out and I'll prove to you Grasshopper is the superior machine.

I intend to make him prove it to me ;)

SDlawndawg
12-13-2002, 08:55 PM
What I meant was the series with the deck out front. I thought grasshopper still used the name K-series. Like 720k. I'll have to stop by the dealer and catch up on the info.

I didn't know the other ZTR's weighed in that high? Wow.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I still haven't completely ruled out the small Grasshopper out fronts yet. But from what I've seen and heard there are a few issues with them.

I ran across a great deal on one at a closeout price quite a while back. I might regret not buying it at some point because I have no clue what they cost new. I can't remember what model it was but it must have been a smaller unit because it was sitting right next to a 62" Z-Master mid-mount. There wasn't much difference in overall lenght at all. It had the bar tires too.

Man there is some handy attachments for these things too!
Collection systemms, remote vacs, dozer baldes, rotary brooms, snowthrowers, sprayers, dethatchers, bed shapers and the Aeravator too!

Of course these things all come at a price, but it's nice to know there is a lot you can do with them.

By the way, what tail wheel option do you guys run on yours???

therainman
12-14-2002, 10:49 PM
The "K" is for the kohler engines guys...

A 725 is the 25 kubota
a 725k is the 25 kohler
help any????

The g2 is the hydro drive system new 3 yrs ago smoother and faster. better cooling G1 still avail. g2 is an option with a additional price

shawn

yacht
12-15-2002, 07:51 AM
RE: Who's charging you $30. These nylon bushings are about $6 a pair. I'll use one or two pairs in a season.

Bob - My dealer quoted me the price of $30. I have not purchased any yet but will be before the start of next season. Where are you buying them for $6? Are we talking about the same part? If so, I would like to know cuz i will let my dealer know how badly he's ripping people off.

therainman
12-15-2002, 09:15 AM
maybe he is talking about the ones on the front casters

shawn

bob
12-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Yatch, the first photo shows were the deck meets the tractor. The second shows the actual bushing, there is a price tag on the bottom that reads $3.99

bob
12-15-2002, 11:26 AM
GH part # 282575

Envy Lawn Service
12-15-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey, has any one seen the Woods Mow'n Machine video on their web-site? Something was wrong with the sound and I couldn't hear. But it looked like they were giving Grasshopper a hard time. Go check it out.

yacht
12-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Bob - Thanks for the pics and yes, we are talking about the same part. I can't believe my dealer was going to try to soak me $30 for a pair that normally sells for $6.99. Glad I didn't buy any yet I'm going to call around to see if any dealers sell them for the correct price.

Envy Lawn - I haven't seen the video but I got a price on the woods mow'n machine with the 25hp liquid cooled kubota and 61" flipup deck. They were a little more expensive than a grasshopper (not same dealer that tried to soak me on the bushings). His price was $10,700. I wonder if anyone has any feedback regarding these new machines. The deck doesn't look as strong or as deep as grasshopper.;)

digger1
01-03-2003, 09:27 PM
have a '98 725, 2000 725g2 and a new 2002 930g2 purchased this past spring. traded a '96 725 for the 930. all have 72" outfront decks and gas engines. we replace the nylon bushings once a year. find a new dealer if he wants to charge $30 for the bushings (i'd tell him to shove 'em up his a**). they are very cheap. my recommendation would be to call the GHopper factory in Kansas and ask for the area rep. our area rep is great and hooked us up with a country tractor dealer who is much less than the city dealers.
the 930 we have has the new HP deck (high performance). the extra hp makes a big difference and our crew fights over who gets to ride it because of the power it has.
the '96 model we got rid of had over 2000 hours with no major problems other than the hydro's needed to be rebuilt. that is fairly common for hydro's and a lot of use on them.
buy the G2 unit if you can afford it. the old style pumps operate under high pressure whereby the G2 units are low pressure. if you maintain the unit regularly (oil change, filter change, etc.) the gas engines will last about as long as the diesel. no need to pay additional for the diesel engine.
regarding the woods mow'n machine, these used to be manufactured by GHopper (same machine configuration) but with the Woods labels and decals.
hope this helps. good luck with your new purchase.

bob
01-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by digger1
have a '98 725, 2000 725g2 and a new 2002 930g2

Do you mean a 932G2? How is it on fuel? I've got 2 725's that use about a gallon an hour.

digger1
01-04-2003, 11:22 PM
sorry 'bout the wrong model #, it's a 928....the fuel consumption is a drawback. after we ran it for a few days, we realized why there is an 8 gallon fuel tank.....it does suck the gas. it does use about 50 percent more fuel but the extra ponies from the engine were worth it this spring when the grass was thick and heavy. if your not going to use a 72" deck, the 725 will be fine. a 72" deck is fine in the summer and fall but does put an extra load on the engine in the spring when the grass is thick and has a lot of moisture in it. we also have the decks set up for mulching instead of side discharge (we mow approx. 40 acres per week in a cemetery).
the trade-off is whether you want more power or better fuel economy.