PDA

View Full Version : Cell towers maintenance

riggio
03-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi!

Recently, I started my own business. I already had a few clients, mainly small businesses. I mow their small commercial lawns and that's it. I don't have any employee.

I was thinking about mowing cell towers. They're all over the country. A few weeks ago, I decided to contact one of the major carriers. Success! They were interested in trying me out.

They sent me to three sites nearby: two in the suburbs and one on a mountain top. First two sites were alright, took about an hour each. Only had to use my lawn mower and weed eater.

Last one took about 2 hours to complete the job. Lot of tall weeds, even had to use my chainsaw to cut some small trees inside the fence perimeter! That wasn't that hard, I actually liked it alot.

Now they went to see the jobs and were satisfied. They'd like me to do some more: fencing repairs and minor repairs to the small radio building housing the equipments. It sounds interesting.

They asked me how much do I charge and what area I can cover. I haven't responded yet. I don't mind covering a 200 miles radius from my home. But I have absolutely no clue how much to charge them...:confused:

Anyone here did/do cell towers? Any stories? suggestions? tips?

Thanks.

John R

TriCountyLawn
03-27-2012, 12:23 PM
200 mile radius ? These jobs pay that well ?

riggio
03-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I meant 100 miles radius :laugh:

TriCountyLawn
03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
100 mile radius ? These jobs pay that well ?

Ridin' Green
03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
100 mile radius ? These jobs pay that well ?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
That's exactly what I was thinking when he reposted 100 instead of 200 miles.

There'd have to be a LOT of money involved to travel like that, and I'm guessing you'd have to have some pretty good insurance working around that type of stuff/place.

riggio
03-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Ok just called them. Talked about my labour rate and the price I'd charge for every mile traveled. They want me to cover a 100 miles radius. They agreed with my travel pricing and hourly rate, which pays plenty for my gas and time. They'll call me once in a while to mow sites that need attention. As for the insurance, generic liability insurance will do. They also asked me to do maintenance for the building and fencing. I agreed.

Anyone here did/do cell towers mowing/maintenance?

riggio
03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Anyone ?

Thanks

riggio
03-28-2012, 10:03 AM
I'll just reply here in order to keep the thread on the top.

riggio
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Anyone?
Thanks

clydebusa
03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Good luck you will need it.

Let us know how it goes.

Hoosier Mower624
03-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry to be nosey but how much did your price it for?? I'd still be wary of traveling a 100 miles away for a ten minute mow job.

cheapcuts1
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Did you just call Sprint and say i wanna mow your lawn ? I would charge milage plus time on the job . Say $50 / HR

jrblawncare33
04-01-2012, 11:48 PM
probably did about 200 cleanups at cell towers last year, we primary just spray them so there is no growth in them but sometimes you gotta go weedwack and clean them up first

riggio
09-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Hey, I'm back! Old thread but just checking in.

As of today, I still clean cell towers compounds, anchors compounds, guy wire paths, access roads and maintain shelters and fences at the base of the towers.

I charge hourly for the time being at the tower plus another rate per mile traveled to get to the tower. Some sites takes up to 6 hours to complete. Normally, I can drive up to 3 hours to the area, clean the sites (2-3 hrs each) and drive back home (or to the motel). Do the math. It pays well. Sometime, they ask me to completely clear the compound, put a new weed barrier and limestone on top.

I don't spray them but a competitor does. I'm still cheaper than him and do a better job because I maintain the site itself, not only cut brushes and weeds.

I did 200+ this year.

b landscaping
09-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Sounds like you won with this contact riggio. How did you go about contacting the company's who own these properties?? I would like to try around my way where I see a lot of these.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zach's Lawn Care
09-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Sounds like you won with this contact riggio. How did you go about contacting the company's who own these properties?? I would like to try around my way where I see a lot of these.
Posted via Mobile Device

Who do you contact for this type work?
Posted via Mobile Device

riggio
09-01-2014, 11:38 PM
I contacted the tower owner directly. Up here :canadaflag:, carriers own the towers, not third parties like American Tower SBA or other. So I contacted the carriers directly and asked for the appropriate information. After talking to dozens of different people, I got in touch with the persons responsible for maintaining them cell sites.

nickslawnltd
09-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Where are you located?

kgs1
09-02-2014, 11:16 AM
How much time does it take you to do all the cell towers in the 100 mile radius??? Include drive time...

Then compare that to how many lawns you could do in that same time, in the same area!!!

hoptontj
11-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Hey John,

Just getting started down here in Oklahoma. Did you ever get any help on pricing? Im trying to figure it all out.

Tim

herler
11-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Ok just called them. Talked about my labour rate and the price I'd charge for every mile traveled. They want me to cover a 100 miles radius. They agreed with my travel pricing and hourly rate, which pays plenty for my gas and time. They'll call me once in a while to mow sites that need attention. As for the insurance, generic liability insurance will do. They also asked me to do maintenance for the building and fencing. I agreed.

Anyone here did/do cell towers mowing/maintenance?

Yea, I'm still curious...
You'd have to be charging a minimum of $1 a mile, and I mean at an absolute minimum.
Most of your vehicles aren't going far on a dollar a mile, you're likely going to have to bid north of that, especially with a trailer.
Remember the cost of repairs, when your truck needs tires it can run 800-1000 dollars, just one trailer tire's like $100.

Do you plan on putting 100,000 miles on your truck?
That's going to likely cost you over one hundred thousand dollars between fuel and repairs and insurance, not to mention purchase cost.
Right?

Because I tell you, my customers BALK when I want to charge them for a 2-way trip to go DUMP their LEAVES 20 miles away...
That's only $40 but you have no idea how these people REACT to that.
Granted, maybe it's different with big corporations such as these...

So on a 100 mile trip, even 50 miles one way... Lets just say we're doing two towers today so we can GPS out a more efficient route, I still come up with at least $100 trip fee, plus drive time (even at minimum wage it takes about an hour to cover 50 miles) plus the labor to clean the tower itself...

Just wondering...

I'm curious as well, once everybody and their brother gets into it...
Sooner or later one day someone is going to get hurt, and that involves liability.
Haven't these corporations started requiring insurance?
If no, then just wait until the first one gets hurt and there's nobody to cover the bills, what happens then?

Don't get me wrong, I think that's all right if you found a little niche that works good for you.
I hope all is well and everything keeps going just the way it has went, thus far.

TPendagast
11-15-2014, 02:47 PM
We do cell tower maintenance.

None of ours actually have any mowing, weed whacking, spraying, pictures, sometimes just pictures if there is no weed whacking or spraying to do.

MOST of them are easily with in a 20 mile radius with two PIAs that are about 60 miles away and hard to find.
I found them both but the employees always get lost.

most cell towers pay 2-300$ a pop, and 75% of the time, we just take a load of pics, fill out a check list and done.

herler
11-15-2014, 06:37 PM
most cell towers pay 2-300$ a pop, and 75% of the time, we just take a load of pics, fill out a check list and done.

Oh, two bucks on the low end, $300 on the high...
Yeah, it's starting to sound like the Klondike Gold Rush all over again.
Don't fall over your own feet now, no rushing, hold up, man I said...
But I like your sense of humor, I wonder how many took off running the instant after reading that...

TPendagast
11-15-2014, 11:51 PM
But I like your sense of humor, I wonder how many took off running the instant after reading that...

TWO to THREE hundred.

grassmonkey0311
11-17-2014, 08:01 AM

TWO to THREE hundred.

Did this conversation really just happen?

georgiagrass
11-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Did this conversation really just happen?

I had the same reaction. [shaking my head]

georgiagrass
11-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Hey, I'm back! Old thread but just checking in.

As of today, I still clean cell towers compounds, anchors compounds, guy wire paths, access roads and maintain shelters and fences at the base of the towers.

I charge hourly for the time being at the tower plus another rate per mile traveled to get to the tower. Some sites takes up to 6 hours to complete. Normally, I can drive up to 3 hours to the area, clean the sites (2-3 hrs each) and drive back home (or to the motel). Do the math. It pays well. Sometime, they ask me to completely clear the compound, put a new weed barrier and limestone on top.

I don't spray them but a competitor does. I'm still cheaper than him and do a better job because I maintain the site itself, not only cut brushes and weeds.

I did 200+ this year.

Kudos for being creative and finding a niche market.