PDA

View Full Version : FJ180V vs GXV160

bjack312
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm in the market for a new 21" mower this year, and have narrowed it down to Toro or Exmark. One dealer only sells the Honda engine, while the other sells both, but recommends the Kawasaki.

My current mower has one of the older Kawasaki FJ150 engines, and the thing has served me well for 13 years. The engine is the only reliable thing left on the mower.

I'm leaning toward the Kawasaki, can anyone give me opinions on why the Honda would be a better choice?

Thanks

All_Toro_4ME
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
In that scenario, it would come down to preference and brand loyalty. Both engines are top of the line. Are both options the same price? My experience with Honda engine options is usually about a $100 difference more for the units with Honda engines. Dealer said its because Honda requires that the dealers charge more for their engines.

Merkava_4
03-28-2012, 05:45 AM
I'd much rather have the Kawasaki with the spin on oil filter.

1whitetail
03-28-2012, 05:54 AM
The Kawasaki is more powerful and has more low end torque. The Honda has a more durable recoil and uses less gas I think. They are both very good engines.

joed
03-28-2012, 11:28 PM
I have the Kawasaki FJ180v on my 2008 Exmark and I used to have the Honda GXV160 on a toro proline that I had. Both engines are excellent. The Kawasaki is a bit cheaper, has a bit more power, and has a bit more maintenance with the oil filter to change. The Honda is quieter, a bit more fuel-efficient, not as powerful as the Kawasaki, and has a bit less maintenance with the lack of an oil filter. They're both great engines but I think the Honda will last longer but may not be as powerful as the Kawasaki.