PDA

View Full Version : $1,000

fatguy28
03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
i was looking at a new mower is it really Worth an extra grand for the kawi over the brigs?

Glenn Lawn Care
03-27-2012, 02:23 PM
A lot of guys here prefer the Kawi over the brigs. Kawi's are a very good motors.

woody123
03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
i was looking at a new mower is it really Worth an extra grand for the kawi over the brigs?

How much is a replacement engine for the Briggs?

How long do you plan to keep the mower?

I bet you get nearly the same life from one Kawi engine you get from two Briggs.

Ridin' Green
03-27-2012, 02:27 PM

That depends. Which B&S engine are you taking about? If it is anything other than the Vanguard, then yes, the Kawi is more than worth the extra money. It is a far, far better engine. If it is the Vanguard, then they are about equal in quality/durability, and should be very close in price.

All other B&S engines are basically homeowner engines. Even though some have fancy titles like "Professional Turf" series, they are still homeowner engines. The only thing that makes them even remotely professional is their larger air filter, fuel filter, and a couple other minor things. The Vanguard is the only commercial engine they offer, and they don't even make that one themselves. It is made by Diahatsu.

fatguy28
03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
well i was looking at a ferris 52 ztr i would keep it for the long hall i noticed scag and exmark all use the kawi's. huh..... pay them now or pay them later

Ridin' Green
03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
well i was looking at a ferris 52 ztr i would keep it for the long hall i noticed scag and exmark all use the kawi's. huh..... pay them now or pay them later

More than likely the engine you were looking at was the B&S "Professional Turf" series, since they use them in Ferris machines quite a bit. I'd personally pass on ever owning one of those engines if I have the choice. I'd pay the extra for the Kawi or the B&S Vanguard which Ferris also uses quite a bit, and charges roughly the same for as a Kawi. Are you paying more for the name? Some prolly, but you're also paying for quality and durability, and that's why they can charge extra for the name.

It comes down to more than just pay now, or pay later too. Do you want the hassle of your machine being in shop during spring rush growth possibly in the future some time, or being in the shop repeatedly? You may not have any issues if you do proper maintenance, but I'm betting you will before too long, and the risk just isn't worth the hassle IMO. There's a reason pro's use Kawi's and not B&S engines. May be worth it in the long run to pay attention to them.:)

jdutcher003
03-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Pretty sure Ferris is owned by Briggs and stratton and most of their mowers come with the briggs on it. I have heard a lot of good things about the vanguard, but personally I run a kawasaki just because i found a good deal on it. I would run a vanguard, but probably not a different briggs engine because i heard their other engines are not of commercial quality

beano
03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Owning both a briggs vanguard and a kawi, let me tell you, I have not been disappointed by the Vanguard at all! Great engine.

woody123
03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I guess I spoke to quickly and not clearly enough.

I agree the Briggs Vangaurd is a good engine, although i would still prefer the Kawasaki all other things being equal.

I highly doubt that there is a $1000 price difference between a mower with the Vangaurd vs. the same mower with the Kawi. So I will stand by my original statement.

ashgrove landscaping
03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Don't mean to hijack but I have a vanguard 32 for sale with only 5 hours on it if anyone is interested. Back to the topic, I have owned kawi's for 13 years and love them but 2 years ago I got the new ferris 3100 with the 32 briggs vanguard and it really is a step up from the kawi's. They are quieter, smoother constant power and just as efficient. I have 700+ hrs. and not a hiccup. We'll see how long she lasts. Seems to be the premiere engine.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
If I were to buy a mower with a Kawasaki or Briggs and Stratton I would go for the Kawasaki just because of the durability, dependability and quality of the Kawasaki.