PDA

View Full Version : waterfall light

crazymike
03-27-2012, 02:12 PM
okay, so I'm trying to source some basalt columns, but it's not an overnight thing.

So in the meantime I'm making some artificial ones.

I will be making a dished basalt pillar to act as a tier, but I want it to be lit up from inside the water. I was thinking of casting a paver LED light into the concrete, but not sure that's the best solution.

This is just for my own personal fountain, I'm really just experimenting at this point.

Any tips?

Attached is the general idea of what I'm making. The column with water running through it will be lit with some sort of LED rope lighting from inside the water line.

crazymike
03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
after some more research, I've found I should use an underwater pond light.

Is it safe to cast this into my concrete? Or will it bite me in the ass if it needs replacing? do they need replacing often?

steveparrott
03-27-2012, 06:44 PM
You could drill a wide hole from the pillar back into the water bowl. Seal the water side with a piece of glass or plexi (siliconed in place). Install a small LED fixture in the hole on the dry side to shine through the glass into the water. That will keep the fixture clean and dry. Add glass marbles to the bowl to disperse the light.

crazymike
03-27-2012, 07:55 PM
You could drill a wide hole from the pillar back into the water bowl. Seal the water side with a piece of glass or plexi (siliconed in place). Install a small LED fixture in the hole on the dry side to shine through the glass into the water. That will keep the fixture clean and dry. Add glass marbles to the bowl to disperse the light.

thank you very much :)

David Gretzmier
03-27-2012, 10:47 PM
I am currently testing some very small LED lights fram Garden Light that have good color, and are ip rated for continuous submersion in water features. I only have 9 months on them, and only have 4 out there, and two of the four did fail within the first 2 weeks. however, the 2 originals left and the 2 free replacements from the manu are still burning now. they put out about what I would expect from a 15 watt halogen at 11 volts, are very floody, and reasonably priced. They are about 1 1/4" square and about 3/4" deep, and come in brass or black. They feel and look like a solid chunk of metal with an LED mounted on it and then covered in epoxy.

Lite4
03-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I think this is what you are trying for. I made these fountains about 5 years ago. I used fiber optics inside the pipe. Don't mess around with a fixture, that will just hamper water flow.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-28-2012, 07:45 AM
In this application, fiber optics is the way to go. More expensive for sure, but in the long run it will perform better. If you are going to use a powered fixture in that application be sure that it is properly listed and rated for under water applications! (anything less than the best underwater fixtures will eventually leak)

JimLewis
04-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Tim, I remember you posting those photos a while back. Those look so awesome. As I started reading this thread, I was hoping you'd post those photos again. Thanks!

Now what specific fiber optics light did you use to make that effect? Are they LV? Where can we buy them?

Lite4
04-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Hey Jim,

Those are from IlluminFX.