PDA

View Full Version : Srm-264

bocas
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
My head does not stop at idle, it turns when pulling the rope, clutch problem? It made a clicking noise befor I noticed this problem Thanks, Dennis

bocas
03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
correction SRM-265

ashgrove landscaping
03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Yup clutch problem for sure. It could be just a broken spring in the middle and the clutch mechanism. Cheaper at any rate. I just replaced one in mine 5 days ago. Super easy fix. tear into it and see if it's just the spring.

bocas
03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
thanks, Dennis

GlynnC
03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Yup clutch problem for sure. It could be just a broken spring in the middle and the clutch mechanism. Cheaper at any rate. I just replaced one in mine 5 days ago. Super easy fix. tear into it and see if it's just the spring.

I agree--a trick to keep the engine from turning over while loosening the clutch bolts--remove spark plug and push a length of small rope (something like the starter rope) into the spark plug hole--the piston then will push up against the rope. Obviously you need to leave part of the rope hanging out so you can just pull it out after new clutch is installed.

Easy fix!

ed2hess
03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree--a trick to keep the engine from turning over while loosening the clutch bolts--remove spark plug and push a length of small rope (something like the starter rope) into the spark plug hole--the piston then will push up against the rope. Obviously you need to leave part of the rope hanging out so you can just pull it out after new clutch is installed.

Easy fix!

I am not tooo sure you will get the echo ones off with that trick could bust something. Just grab outside of the brake shoes with big channel lock and/or use inpact. I got one right now that is so tight I am afraid I will strip the bolt which have hex in them and very flat. I don't have impact so I intend to take it in to shopl

bocas
03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
I live on an island in Panama, nearest shop is 5 hours away.

GlynnC
03-27-2012, 08:03 PM
I am not tooo sure you will get the echo ones off with that trick could bust something. Just grab outside of the brake shoes with big channel lock and/or use inpact. I got one right now that is so tight I am afraid I will strip the bolt which have hex in them and very flat. I don't have impact so I intend to take it in to shopl

Ed, I've used this method many times on Echos and many other brands. Do not recommend for 4-mix, could easily bend those small valves.

Yeh, I also use a big pair of channel locks on the old clutch--after all, these are about to be thrown away so no need to be concerned with damage--but not everyone has a big set of channel locks.

My favorite tool for this is a plumbing tool I inherited from my dad. It's sorta like a vice grip, with something like a bicycle chain that is fixed on one side of the vice grips, and adjustable on the other side--meant to circle around pipe and hold tight--it works perfect on clutches.

The rope trick does work, and yes I've been concerned that too much pressure will damage something--haven't had it happen --yet!!! This trick works great to get the clutch drum screw out of the "throw-away" trimmers.

bocas
03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
So, I need to remove the clutch drum? Or do the shoes just pull out? Thanks, Dennis

GlynnC
03-27-2012, 08:36 PM
So, I need to remove the clutch drum? Or do the shoes just pull out? Thanks, Dennis

Sorry to confuse you with the clutch drum issue!!!!!! No, this is only necessary for the "throw away" half crankshaft brands. For Echo, and all other commercial brands, the clutch drum will come out with the shaft and clutch cover, You then have a perfect access to the clutch. You can probably find a u-tube video on changing a clutch. It's really an easy job.

Come back if you have problems or questions.

ed2hess
03-27-2012, 08:37 PM

If there is tread still on the pads just put on a new spring. I seldom ever replace the drum that the pads run against. I have never seen that spring break unless the brake pads were worn down so check them closely. Take the opportunity to check to see if the exhaust port are clean. Mine don't go a year without cleaning...I do run without the guard.

ashgrove landscaping
03-27-2012, 09:27 PM
If there is tread still on the pads just put on a new spring. I seldom ever replace the drum that the pads run against. I have never seen that spring break unless the brake pads were worn down so check them closely. Take the opportunity to check to see if the exhaust port are clean. Mine don't go a year without cleaning...I do run without the guard.

Exactly what happens when running no guard. I too have no guard so I expect this. Eventually the spring does break as with mine. I just check everything out and replace the necessary part. This time it was just the spring.