PDA

View Full Version : PITA customers

exmarkman11
03-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Just wondering If any of yall get customers that want the yard cut every other week, and around day 10 or so they call to complain that the grass is way to tall. Im like Really?, Sherlock? It has been raining all the time here and perfect spring temperatures. of course its tall. I dont mind cutting lawns every other week, I just dont like people complaining it gets too long, because they are too cheap to pay me for every week. Anyone else have this problem? I would feel better if I wasnt the only one.

Florida Gardener
03-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Just wondering If any of yall get customers that want the yard cut every other week, and around day 10 or so they call to complain that the grass is way to tall. Im like Really?, Sherlock? It has been raining all the time here and perfect spring temperatures. of course its tall. I dont mind cutting lawns every other week, I just dont like people complaining it gets too long, because they are too cheap to pay me for every week. Anyone else have this problem? I would feel better if I wasnt the only one.
Nope, and that is why. EOW isn't that common in my neck of the woods and I refuse to take on anyone who wants it.
Posted via Mobile Device

exmarkman11
03-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes, I know some people refuse to do EOW, but around here its about half my business. Its not just me, all the Lcos have to put up with it if they want to make money around here. You do live in Florida, its a different world down there.

exmarkman11
03-27-2012, 10:05 PM
where in Florida are you from, My grandparents live in Stuart. Stuart, West Palm, and the surrounding areas are all beautiful

Florida Gardener
03-27-2012, 10:13 PM
where in Florida are you from, My grandparents live in Stuart. Stuart, West Palm, and the surrounding areas are all beautiful

What a small world I live in Jupiter....trust me there are a lot of middle income neighborhoods where people would maybe want eow, but there are a lot of very wealthy areas too
Posted via Mobile Device

exmarkman11
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Jupiter, its only one of the riches islands in the world. Rich people everywhere. Tiger woods, even bill gates owns a shack down there, but he probably owns 20 houses lol

Florida Gardener
03-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Jupiter, its only one of the riches islands in the world. Rich people everywhere. Tiger woods, even bill gates owns a shack down there, but he probably owns 20 houses lol

You forgot Celine dion, Alan Jackson, etc. But, that island only makes up a small percent of residents in the whole county. Although, we have palm beach island too...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-27-2012, 10:46 PM

You forgot Celine dion, Alan Jackson, etc. But, that island only makes up a small percent of residents in the whole county. Although, we have palm beach island too...
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
03-27-2012, 11:04 PM
This is my third year in business. I've always taken weekly, bi-weekly, and call-when-it-needs-cut customers. Up until this year, that is. This year, I'm trimming the fat. I'm getting rid of all the yards that don't pay well, that complain, that want cut only when they think it needs it, etc. Basically, all the pain-in-the-butt customers. The business around here is as busy as I want it to be, so I really have no reason to keep them anyway.

I had one yard that was small, in a nice neighborhood, and paid well. But they didn't want to be on a schedule, just call when it needs it. And the guy, as soon as he heard the mower running, would come out and give a different set of instructions each week. "This week, take it down a notch and bag the back" or "trim inside those bricks in the flower beds" as if it was somehow my fault that his yard was the only one on the block that was full of weeds. And he complained about my price for weeding the first year, so I refused to do it for him after that. This year, I have let it go completely, and it's such a relief.

With that being said, I don't mind bi-weekly cuts. It's pretty common here, and as long as it's a lawn that permits it, I'll do that with no problem. I just stagger them so I still have the same amount of total yards each week, even though some are weekly and some are bi-weekly. But I do not like the ones that call and expect me to drop everything and race full-throttle to their house to cut their precious grass. That ends now for this guy. :-)

Florida Gardener
03-27-2012, 11:21 PM
This is my third year in business. I've always taken weekly, bi-weekly, and call-when-it-needs-cut customers. Up until this year, that is. This year, I'm trimming the fat. I'm getting rid of all the yards that don't pay well, that complain, that want cut only when they think it needs it, etc. Basically, all the pain-in-the-butt customers. The business around here is as busy as I want it to be, so I really have no reason to keep them anyway.

I had one yard that was small, in a nice neighborhood, and paid well. But they didn't want to be on a schedule, just call when it needs it. And the guy, as soon as he heard the mower running, would come out and give a different set of instructions each week. "This week, take it down a notch and bag the back" or "trim inside those bricks in the flower beds" as if it was somehow my fault that his yard was the only one on the block that was full of weeds. And he complained about my price for weeding the first year, so I refused to do it for him after that. This year, I have let it go completely, and it's such a relief.

With that being said, I don't mind bi-weekly cuts. It's pretty common here, and as long as it's a lawn that permits it, I'll do that with no problem. I just stagger them so I still have the same amount of total yards each week, even though some are weekly and some are bi-weekly. But I do not like the ones that call and expect me to drop everything and race full-throttle to their house to cut their precious grass. That ends now for this guy. :-)

That is the big difference b/t here and other parts of the country when it comes to EOW. Our EOW yards have no irrigation, no fert, have tons of weeds, and look like crap. The customers dont care as long as its cut. I don't do them, bc i dont want my truck and trailer to be seen at those accounts.

exmarkman11
03-27-2012, 11:26 PM
shooter, thats pretty much what I do. I didnt mean to complain about the every other week yards. Thats not the problem. I got a new church account, (pretty much a small church with a crappy yard.) The pastor wants it done every two weeks, no ploblem. Today he called me and said the yard looks bad, its really tall. Today has been 11 days since i cut it. Keep in mind, I live in the south, its been raining about 2 times a week for the past 5 months and the temps have been 70-80s. Of course its high after 11 days. It just pissed me off that people complain because they are too cheap to have it done every week like it should be.

exmarkman11
03-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I just told him Ill cut it even shorter next time, if he complains 1 more time, hes gone

HPSInc
03-28-2012, 01:36 AM
how do you guys go about getting rid of bad customers? phone call? face to face? letter? just never show up again? just curious

1whitetail
03-28-2012, 04:43 AM
how do you guys go about getting rid of bad customers? phone call? face to face? letter? just never show up again? just curious

A phone call or face to face is what I would do. A letter is just to formal for something like this and not showing up and disappearing is unprofessional and just not right.

phlandscaping
03-28-2012, 05:28 AM

I agree that just not showing up is very unprofessional. I've trimmed the fat this year myself, got rid of the customers that complained about us doing exactly what they asked. It's amazing all of the people who want to own a $600k house and want to be cheap with lawn maintenance. I guess if it's before the next season starts you can just wait for their call and let them know that you've re-structured your business, or if it's during the season you can let them know that the changes were being made and to let you know if it wouldn't work for them ie finding a new LCO. I just got off the phone with a guy last week, my biggest headache last year. He kept asking me if he needed to find someone else and I kept telling him if he didn't like our new structure, then the answer was yes. He thought I would back down, but sometimes it's just not worth the aggrevation.

Mickhippy
03-28-2012, 06:43 AM
A few weeks ago I got a call for an estimate. Lined it up for the next day. Just before leaving home I called him (I usually never call but it was a bit of a drive) and he says, "Oh, sorry but my neighbours going to do it." Ok, no worries etc etc I say.

Today he calls, need it done today as have an inspection (house is for sale) can I come bla bla.
I asked what happened and apparently the neighbours gone on holiday.
I said, well thats what happens when you get neighbours to do these things.
I told him I could help next week and then he said, without a word of a lie...

"people usually just come straight away when I ask."

Enough said!

ShooterK2
03-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Yep, that's what they want. When they say "jump" they want you to say "how high?"

lawnkingforever
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I just cut 2 loose today. I phoned them to inform them they were no longer on the schedule. They were every other week customers that really needed mowed weekly. My route is getting full and I do not have the room for these types.
Posted via Mobile Device

fireman gus
03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
With PITA clients I have 2 methods I use. I explain why there seems to be a problem and the remedy for the problem. The second is a face to face meeting telling them why I am no longer going to do work for them. I have had good luck with the first and the second ALWAYS makes me feel better.

knox gsl
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I went to an EOW this morning, she has been asking me if I'm coming for the last few days. What makes it worse is that I found a shoe, baseball, and waterhose in the backyard AFTER mowing it.

exmarkman11
03-30-2012, 08:40 PM
knox, that would be a great thread: Stuff we have found in customers yards while mowing. I have found a bowling ball, condoms, money, tools like hammers and screwdrivers, a million kids toys, and probably a bunch of other stuff i cant think of right now

ShooterK2
03-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I went to an EOW this morning, she has been asking me if I'm coming for the last few days. What makes it worse is that I found a shoe, baseball, and waterhose in the backyard AFTER mowing it.

I hear ya. One of the yards I let go this year was sold to new owners a last year. It was a good yard before they bought the house. They have added a back yard fence to trim inside and out of, little dogs that do their thing all inside that fence, all kinds of little plants near the front of the house with little piles of mulch around each one and no edge (as if the Oklahoma wind isn't going to come into play there...), they park in the yard, and don't have it sprayed anymore, so weeds are everywhere. It takes about 20 minutes longer than it used to, but, of course, they want the same price as I was charging the previous owner.

I drove by it the other day. Looked like someone had mowed it with a hay baler...... Bermuda grass and weeds crawling over the curb and down to the pavement..... no trimming or edging done, and it's in a nice neighborhood......nice yards all around it......

So glad I am finally to a place where I can let yards like that go to someone else.