PDA

View Full Version : Extended trailer to 16 ft.

ashgrove landscaping
03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Still waiting on the wheels but mostly done. I decided to lengthen my 6.5x12 ft. trailer to 16 ft. to accommodate two ztr's with bagger plus some extra for whatever comes up. Since the trailer has been long paid for and in great shape it seemed more cost efficient to extend it instead of trying to sell and then buy new or used. Final cost $655 total in materials and labor. The decision was made to make the extension in the middle area instead of messing with the tongue or gate area since the second axle was being added and configured to proper measurements for a 16 footer. The new axle is accommodated with a brake. Should be plenty. Since the trailer is more on the lighter side, two cross members were added to the floor and sides, plus a 3ft.x2ft. sheet of steel was added to the sides over the axles to help stiffen the area with the most stress. Since I was concerned with keeping costs down I did not go with a whole new deck. Looks a little janky but who cares. It really doesn't matter, the wood was still in really good shape and it saved me over $150. My truck was already set up with a brake controller and works great. Lights needed to be rewired anyway. So it can be done affordably and is worth the work and experience. I did get some deals on materials. FYI. So total investment on 16 ft. trailer ends up being $1650 for 13 years of use and hopefully 13 more. Seems good to me.243851

JRS Landscaping
03-27-2012, 11:36 PM
interesting....any before or during shots?

OLC
03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
We did the same thing to a trailer. BAD IDEA! The original trailer was built light duty and lacked frame stiffness, so when we added the extra length and the weight of the extra mower the thing would flex more than I was comfortable with. Because of the flexing it never tracked straight down the road again.
I hope you have better luck than I did.

ashgrove landscaping
03-30-2012, 10:55 PM
It should be plenty fine since the flex issue was addressed by adding steel where needed. Note the 7 ft. of solid steel rail section as well as extra floor joists and independent axle action. It's actually built stronger than a brand new 16 footer. I had help and he builds and designs trailers as well as anything people bring to him for a living. i.e. pulling tractor chassis, dump truck beds, multi section towers, etc.. Large scale stuff as well as simple trailers so it was done correctly and then some. Also I've been hauling around a 61" Ztr and 61" walk behind the whole time so 300 lbs. isn't that much more to handle. I'll just have the 2 Ztr's. 61" and 52". Quite under load capacity compared to at load capacity from before.

OLC
03-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Im sorry. I wasnt trying to be a jerk. I honestly hope you good luck with it.

ashgrove landscaping
03-31-2012, 01:41 AM
Oh yea thanks. I didn't think you were being smart. Just your experience is all. I was just giving more info on the whole deal.

Cadzilla
03-31-2012, 11:53 PM
For about the same money you could have bought a brand new trailer of similar quality.

Just sayin.

THEGOLDPRO
03-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Interesting project,Althoe i dont think i would ever stretch my 14 footer because it was made cheaply and weak to begin with unlike my heavy duty 18 footer. I commend you for trying it, Also the welding and work looks top notch.

sweetjetskier
04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Works looks good, nice welds.

My question is, does NY require brakes on both axles for the trailer?

In CT, we need brakes on both axles of a dual axle trailer.

ashgrove landscaping
04-05-2012, 01:49 AM
I don't know and it doesn't matter where I'm from. Thanks! It rides well and works perfect. As for being the same money, That 's wrong because I've already owned and used the trailer for 13 years and I paid $1000 for it back in 2000, soooooo $650 would not buy me a 16 ft. trailer. And the quality is actually very good. It's a parker performance brand trailer. They make some decent stuff. And the work done is quite well and thought out.

specialtylc
04-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know and it doesn't matter where I'm from. Thanks! It rides well and works perfect. As for being the same money, That 's wrong because I've already owned and used the trailer for 13 years and I paid $1000 for it back in 2000, soooooo $650 would not buy me a 16 ft. trailer. And the quality is actually very good. It's a parker performance brand trailer. They make some decent stuff. And the work done is quite well and thought out.

It matters when the DOT pulls you over and red tags the trailer for not having brakes at both axles.

Lawn Pawn
04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Looks like a fine job of fabrication!

The proof will be in the pulling.