PDA

View Full Version : Dual axle

Turf Technologies
12-11-2002, 10:34 PM
Ive read a few things in the search on this, but hard to find. I just got a 16ft tandem, I know the tired will skid in front. But wondering how often will I be replacing those?Anything I can do to prevent?

McKeeLand
12-11-2002, 11:29 PM
Are you talking about the tires on the front axle skidding when you brake? The best thing for this is to have a good eletric brake controller that has a digital display. This way you can set your brake level to the weight your carrying on your trailer to help keep the tires from locking up.
Also, if you rotate your tires front to back on a regular basis, this will help tire wear.
Do this and you should get at least a several year out of your tires.

Markus
12-12-2002, 12:28 AM
McKee is right by roatating your tires, I rotate around 500miles and it gives u alot more wear, Also when you load up try an make sure your wieght is evenly loaded this also helps alot.....Marks Mowing Service

LAWNGODFATHER
12-12-2002, 12:32 AM
I use a pendualum brake controller. Tachiushi something like that.

The Mowerdude
12-12-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
I use a pendualum brake controller. Tachiushi something like that.

Takonsha.......Is that it?

The Takonsha Sentinel is a pendilum unit. The pendilum is supposed to compensate for weight variations and it actually does a pretty good job. I've got 3 of them on different trucks and I like them a lot.

An upgrade from the Sentinel is the Prodigy. It's pricey but it uses an all digital processor. I haven't had the priviledge of using one, but have heard very good things about it. One of the nice things about it it that virtually all of the 2002 trucks and newer will have a pigtail under the dash for the Prodigy that's included with the factory towing package. I say that it's about time the industry started making this installation job easy.

Sackedbysapp

Are you running car tires on your trailer, or are you using tires specifically made for trailer use? Car tires don't stand up nearly as well to the side loads generated in trailer use, so you might check with some RV/Camper places for "trailer" tires.

jeffyr
12-12-2002, 07:25 AM
The front tires do slide when you make tight turns as well. My fronts have worn allot faster , but I rotated them with the rear and it will work out. The wear from this will depend on your driving conditions. I work in a suburb area with many turns from 1 account to the next, and the occassional crank the wheel and U-turn the rig at a couple of jobs which doesn't help either. My accelerated wear is definitely not from braking. The trailer is loaded with a 36WB at the tounge and the Walker on top of the axles normally.

jeffyr

Turf Technologies
12-12-2002, 10:23 AM
No there trailer tires, and yes i have a lot of turns. Ill get the tire name and my brake controller name as well.All I have is a 52 wb, but will have my brother Viper here and there, somtime another wb as well.

McKeeLand
12-12-2002, 11:58 AM
I've found that my back tires wear out before the fronts. Mostly because it seems the trailer has a littel pitch when the truck is empty, than as the week goes on and more grass piles up, the trailer levels out. but for the most time the back tires take a little more weight on them.