PDA

View Full Version : Exmark 38hp 60" vs Ferris is3100 36hp Vangaurd

dutchacres
03-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Ok guys I was looking into going diesel but I am considering just sticking to the gas burner. I will start out saying I run mulching kits on everything I have. I am considering a exmark 38hp kohler or Ferris 36hp vanguard. I ran exmark for years but switched to Deere and I love them but I need more hp and with Kawasaki's issues I am going to switch since that is the only 30+hp option in Deere.

1. My questions are this how is the fuel consumption on the 38 and 36? I have heard vanguards do well on fuel but I can't find any info on the kohler. I know my grandpas 34hp Kawasaki burns close to 2 gallon a hour so I am concerned this will be about what I am looking at with these two engine options.

2. How does the iCD deck perform with a mulching kit. Dealer has no idea as they have never sold one. Is it as good as the exmark system?

3. How is the ferris realibilty wise? Exmarks are pretty bullet proof so I want to know I am comparing apples to apples here.

Let me know what you think and I will let you know what I decide.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmmower
05-13-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm trying to make same decision between the Ferris IS3100 and the Exmark LazerX.

williams lcm
05-13-2013, 06:09 PM
The mulch kit is excellent. Just as good if not better than my jd 950 that I had. You will love the icd deck. Such a nice cut
Posted via Mobile Device

farmmower
05-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I have a demo tomorrow with the 3100 - any questions I should ask, optional seat, etc.?? Think I would spec the 36 hp Big Block - the demo will have the 30 or 32 hp B&S or Big Block.

CurbAppealKS
05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Farm, I used to run a 72" 3100z with the 32 vanguard. Plenty of engine for the 72" so it will dominate with the 61". As far as exmark vs ferris. Supposedly the exmark has the best cut in dry conditions, but add in moisture and it goes to hell. The ferris will cut well in all conditions and be super smooth with the suspension added in.

They are both quality machines so I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do remember the 32 vanguard being thirsty, but maybe that was because it was pushing a 72" deck as well. According to my dealer both machines seem to be in the same price range around here. A new 61" 3100 was around 12.6k before tax.

I would buy the ferris based on needing a machine that is versatile in imperfect cutting conditions. Then again, you might have all perfect manicured accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmmower
05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks Curb! Good info. I suppose the 32 Vanguard would be enough but I've never bought too much hp and this is for 6 acres private, some of which won't get mowed every week and turns to tall and hard to cut. I will know soon enough.

CurbAppealKS
05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
In that case, as they always say, it's better to have more and never need it then need more and not have it.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmmower
05-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I demoed the 32 hp Kawi last week and love the mower so I ordered the 36 HP BB and the optional seat. I compared the 3100 to my 757 and what a great cut and comfort with the Ferris. Stock seat was good but since I have back issues figured the optional seat would be even better. Cut 2 acres grass with the demo and cut most at max speed but only had about 1 1/2 inches of additional growth. Acted like it would do this on much higher growth - did test on patch of high grass and weeds and did great there also. I think the 32 hp Kawi would do 90% of what I want to do but wanted the Vanguard and extra hp when I don't get to the mowing when I should. Dealer also had Exmark but decided on Ferris primarily due to suspension and other good reports.

What grade gasoline should I use and is there a break-in on these mowers? Just moved to a property that has 5 acres + of mowing, mostly fescue but also some weeds.

Ridin' Green
05-18-2013, 02:41 PM
I demoed the 32 hp Kawi last week and love the mower so I ordered the 36 HP BB and the optional seat. I compared the 3100 to my 757 and what a great cut and comfort with the Ferris. Stock seat was good but since I have back issues figured the optional seat would be even better. Cut 2 acres grass with the demo and cut most at max speed but only had about 1 1/2 inches of additional growth. Acted like it would do this on much higher growth - did test on patch of high grass and weeds and did great there also. I think the 32 hp Kawi would do 90% of what I want to do but wanted the Vanguard and extra hp when I don't get to the mowing when I should. Dealer also had Exmark but decided on Ferris primarily due to suspension and other good reports.

What grade gasoline should I use and is there a break-in on these mowers? Just moved to a property that has 5 acres + of mowing, mostly fescue but also some weeds.

I think maybe you mean 32 HP Cyclonic? They don't make a 32 Kawi that I am aware of.

williams lcm
05-18-2013, 03:14 PM
The 3100z is an awesome machine. Yes I cut rough areas at full speed. I have had my machine for about 3 months and still cannot get over the amazing cut quality. The comfort is so smooth. I will be with ferris here on out. Glad I made the switch. It took me about 6 years and 4 machines later to get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

CurbAppealKS
05-18-2013, 03:58 PM
I think maybe you mean 32 HP Cyclonic? They don't make a 32 Kawi that I am aware of.

The 32 is a vanguard big block. The cyclonic is a 30 hp I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmmower
05-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I meant the 36 HP Vanguard BB, ur correct they don't make the Kawi in that. Given some of the Kawi problems I think the Vanguard might be better anyway.

farmmower
05-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Williams, what motor are you running? 61" cut?. Does owners manual suggest a certain grade of gasoline and any break-in advice. Should have mine by Tues.

farmmower
05-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Curb, they have a 37 hp Kawi DFI, a 32 hp Vanguard BB and a 30 hp B&S in addition to the 36 hp Vanguard BB. I hear too many issues with the DFI although in several years there won't be a carburetor among any of them.

farmmower
05-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Here is Vanguard fuel recommendation:www.vanguardengines.com/service-support/frequently-asked-questions/answer/fuel-recommendations/?body_0$tbKeyword=

The higher the altitude the lower the octane an engine will tolerate - see the note on altitude, 85 is acceptable. At lower altitudes 87 or 91 is acceptable. Just don't know if advantage to 91 at 1,000 ft. Over 30 days use stabilizer.

CurbAppealKS
05-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Curb, they have a 37 hp Kawi DFI, a 32 hp Vanguard BB and a 30 hp B&S in addition to the 36 hp Vanguard BB. I hear too many issues with the DFI although in several years there won't be a carburetor among any of them.
That's right farm, I was thinking that was the way,
But I couldn't remember.
Posted via Mobile Device