PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Billy Goat lawn vac's

1whitetail
03-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Are Billy Goat lawn vacuums any good or are they more of a hassle. The reason that I am considering one is because I saw a used one, at a good price, for sale locally. Spending $1,200 for a new one is out of the question and the reason why I had never considered one before. :rolleyes:

phlandscaping
03-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Depends on your use. I've never owned one because when I do clean-ups, the jobs are too big for the vac's. If this is around your own house, I'd say it's probably fine, but if you're going customer to customer it's not worth it. I see those for sale all of the time, prob because previous owners found them to be inefficient.

Florida Gardener
03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
I disagree. I just bought one a few months ago and it really helps on our leaf season down here. Live and laurel oak leaves are hard to mulch in St Augustine grass so the billygoat just sucks them right out of the lawn...maybe doesn't work well up north, but down here they work great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reliable 1
03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
I too disagree as I bought a used one last fall that was bought brand new by the GIrls Scouts in 2010. I paid $350 for a vacuum that normally cost over $1400. It reduced my cleanup times by almost half and they are really good on cleanups after hedge pruning jobs too. My only regret was not getting the self-propelled model....otherwise I am completely satisfied with mine.

Bayou Man
03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
They work well for cleaning along parking lot curbs where cigarette butts and trash is mixed in with leaves, etc. and you don't want to blow all that trash onto the lawn.

1whitetail
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

lawnguyland
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I love my Billy! Great for spring and fall clean-ups. Excels when you want to clean leaves out of a corner without blowing them all across the yard first, especially if windy. Also you can blow all the crap into the street and suck it all up! I usually rake bulk of debris onto tarp or into green barrel then finish up with Billy! You have to know its limits- not great with a lot of sticks and twigs. ALso, if it does clog, turn it off before unclogging.

superdog1
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't have a Billy Goat, but I do have a consumer grade Toro Vac/Shredder that I keep on the trailer. I gotta' tell you, I don't see how I lived without it. There are some locations or situations where the mower won't fit or the dirt is just to fine and this unit does the job. It is fantastic for cleaning up parking lots and it has a hose on it that allows you to get hedge clippings and leaves that are stuck in bushes and other tight places that the blower can't get out.

I would LOVE to have a Billy Goat and I will buy one when the Toro wears out.:clapping:

AAA Lawn Care
03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
love my billy goat ,,well worth it